Save folder bug and last call for other bugs before Alector1

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Save folder bug and last call for other bugs before Alector1

Post by jcenterprises »

I have noticed that when you start a new game and save for the first time, sometimes the save slots have weird data already saved in them. This has been around since Zenzizenic and is still present in Alectormancy. I finally got a screenshot of what the bug looks like.

Loading any of these saves in Zenzizenic would say something along the lines of "a script failed to load", but in Alectormancy, Game.exe just crashes.
Last edited by jcenterprises on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yow! That sounds like a serious bug. Thank you for reporting this, jcenterprises. You say this was happening in Zenzizenzic too?

I just tried to reproduce this on my Linux box, but I can't make it happen. I'll try on a Windows 7 box tomorrow.

Can anybody else reproduce this?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I've never heard of anything like that either.

Do the phantom saves continue to appear after you save the game? Is there anything in the gamename.saves folder, or a gamename.sav file present? If so, could you please zip up the saves folder and email it to one of us? Also, could you post or email the contents of g_debug.txt?
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

No, they disappear leaving only normal saves as soon as I quit the game. And this was Win 7 by the way.
Last edited by jcenterprises on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that regardless of whether you save or not, the phantom saves aren't tehre the enxt time you run Game? If so, that sounds like memory corruption. I assume that you're not seeing anything strange happening in the saves folder.

Getting a copy of g_debug.txt after this occurs would be very helpful though.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Truth be told, I've had this bug happen to me ONCE before, that is, if I remember correctly. I remember at least something similar.

I too have win7, if that helps in even the most miniscule way.
I don't recall what made it happen though, sorry.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

jcenterprises, are you absolutely certain that no gamename.sav file exists? Are you absolutely certain that no gamename.saves folder exists?
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

The save folder still exists, it just no longer has those phantom saves when a new game session is started.
Spazman
Slime Knight

Post by Spazman »

I've had this happen a known 3 times when working with Doom RPG. Using WinXP Pro SP3, was using Zenzizenzic at the time.
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

Remember that Ypsiliform bug where importing .wav files would cause a recurring loop in Custom? Looks like it's back for Alectormancy. :( This happened in Win 7.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

jcenterprises wrote:Remember that Ypsiliform bug where importing .wav files would cause a recurring loop in Custom? Looks like it's back for Alectormancy. :( This happened in Win 7.
Uh oh! Does this happen every time?
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

From what I've found, it just sort of randomly happens. I tried importing a random wav to see if it happens, and it does. It happened just once, and I was able to stop the loop of conversion messages by minimizing custom.exe. After the bug I was still able to upload the test wav successfully.

It can happen in the form of both successful conversions or failed conversions, although the failures only happened on -1 quality and the successes happened at 8 quality.

I'm using win7 too, so that may be related to the bug.
Last edited by Idontknow on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Are you using gfx_sdl or gfx_directx? The current backends are shown at the bottom of the .rpg browser, and if you're using gfx_directx you see an "Options" menu when you click on the top left window icon. If I remember correctly, last time that bug was specific to gfx_sdl (and was a bug in SDL's keyboard state handling?)
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I'm using gfx_directx.

It's no big deal, since you can stop the looping by minimizing the window, but it wouldn't hurt if it was fixed.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Idontknow wrote:It can happen in the form of both successful conversions or failed conversions, although the failures only happened on -1 quality and the successes happened at 8 quality.
I am really puzzled by this part. I cannot imagine how the ogg quality level could make a difference.