Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Dayuck dies?!
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

man, look at the shape of that road
I almost can't believe I went through the trouble of drawing this in the grid-based OHR maptile editor

So, I'm trying to get started on Expedition again. Alternative titles that I won't use but are fairly descriptive anyway include Road to Mt. Garra, With the Blue Knight and the Red Dame, and After that Bird! Jerry's Quest for Mail
It's been hard getting motivated because even though I've mapped out the entire mountain on paper, I really really don't want to draw an entire mountain's worth of maptiles.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

screenshots!

lots of graphical changes. the mage has a new outfit, the knight has a new 'do, and these delightful creatures replace the slimes and dracky's of Dragon Warrior fame. many other monsters have been replaced/facelifted as well.

the monster hunter's guild! complete missions to earn cash and powerful equipment.

item crafting is finally implemented.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

First, a response to mrjohnson:
I'm glad you took a step towards using original enemies. One of my complaints about the game was that it was so similar to Dragon Warrior that I had to ask, "Why am I playing this instead of Dragon Warrior?" The addition of item crafting, if it turns out to be practical, will give your game another facet to make it stand out.

Second, drawing cliff tiles.
Is this acceptable? I've got a lot left to draw, this is really repetitive and draining. I'm going to have to keep it as is, I'll look at criticism later, there's so much to do.
Other major things I need to draw: sand/crag transitions, rock formations, a bridge or three, DKC2-esque brambles... shadows maybe? Not sure if it'd be worth the effort to make the cliffs cast shadows. What do you all think?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

This is acceptable if you're working on Viridia. If you're working on any other game, you should be working on Viridia.

But to answer your question...

I think cliff shadows would be overkill at this point if you don't already have shadows elsewhere. I'd rather see little sand piles and rock formations at the edges, and the vines hanging from the precipice and so on, than worry about shadows. You could certainly use a Layer 1 or Layer 2 tileset on top of those base tiles to great effect, and if it's a small map, I'd say go all out with the extra detail. But I don't think you need to worry about shadows. Not unless the lack of shadow drives you crazy.

And I hope you're working on Viridia. We still need to see Chapter 1.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

The grass looks great! If I could offer one criticism, it's that the cliffs look a little like a series of poles. Try breaking up the vertical lines similar to how you would with bricks:

Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Ahha, great, that's a marvelous cliff. This whole time I've been lacking a solid set of tiles to derive inspiration from. The cliff faces I posted are admittedly very old tiles from years ago, and the slopes were made quite hastily. I do think I can improve on this. Thanks for posting that.

And to allay Pepsi Ranger's concern, yes, this will tie back to Viridia. It's a standalone chapter like the previous one and happens at about the same time chronologically. Once I'm done with this, I'll start working on Chapter 1, and once that's done, I'm going to revise and combine all three chapters and release that as the official, but far from complete, Viridia game. I still have big plans for it.

Maybe I should write and illustrate a preview article for Hamsterspeak to drum up support?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Baconlabs wrote:Maybe I should write and illustrate a preview article for Hamsterspeak to drum up support?
That would be great.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Guess what game i've returned to.
:kamina:
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

You need to get a color TV.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The Adventures of Satan Gumby?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Entrepreneur: The Beginning has been in active development for awhile now, and I'm pleased to show off another new feature that I just added this weekend, courtesy of a devious little idea that James planted in my head during an IRC discussion a few weeks ago.

Before I show the results of James's slick little idea plant, I want to first show off the feature that encouraged the thought.

As any business sim player will tell you, a game about coffee sales doesn't really amount to much if there's no record-keeping of transactions or other important numbers available. So I've recently added the 60-Day Account Log, which serves as Buck's daily journal of records ranging from itemized sales to spoilage and waste reports. The log has two categories: Overview and Detailed. The following five screens will show overview reports for the first five days. The detailed logs (not shown) have a slightly different interface, but achieve the same effect.

Notice the addition of a new record: Best Customer. The person who spends the most money on a given day will earn this accolade. This award will also eventually account for residents who give Buck chores to work on for those days when he doesn't want to serve coffee, but for now it only gives kudos to the customers from OHR land.

Three days in a row RedMaverickZero spent the most money at the coffee pavilion. That's because he had low enough standards that he thought even swill coffee was like liquid ambrosia. On his third, fourth, and fifth orders, he tipped extra cash.

RMZ was on pace to take Day 5, too, but I kicked him out of the park before he could order another cup that would translate into a high tip (not normal practice if you're trying to win). I did this only to get someone else's name on the report. The honor, therefore, went to Eggie. Congratulations, Eggie.

So, now that you have a brief idea on what I've been cooking in the coffee kitchen, I can show you what James suggested to make the business sim feel even more businesslike. I'll let the screenshots speak for themselves.

As of now there are 22 different graphs to view. If you compare them to the daily reports in the first five screens, you'll notice how closely the bars mirror the values listed. In this example, you can crosscheck "Work Time Earnings," "Total Cups Served," and "Total Customer Satisfaction." The other values not listed on the overview report are available in the detailed report.

More news to come soon.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Spazman
Slime Knight

Post by Spazman »

Prepare your eyes for delicious candy. xD

It is NOT dead.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

What is this, actual maps and not just sprites? Does this mean I'm actually getting somewhere with this thing?
No, it does not.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

I still wonder why Entrepreneur uses 8-bit graphics

Post by Baconlabs »

Pheonix wrote:Does this mean I'm actually getting somewhere with this thing?
That's a real shame. I rather like what you've done with your stairways there, and the dark red outlines are a nice touch. I need to remind myself of that someday, not all outlines ought to be black. Also the room layout here seems incredibly familiar, but I can't put my finger on where I've seen it before.

I'm going to take a moment while I'm here to respond to the Entrepreneur screenshots. They are awesome, and I am amazed that you managed to bring statistical analysis into an OHR game. Information sticklers will have a ball with that, I'm sure. I really admire the effort you put into them.
But at the same time, I look at these charts and think "No way I am ever playing that game, it looks so boring." I'm not a fan of management or budgeting simulators. (The only way I managed to enjoy Sim City was with an unlimited funds cheat) This is a good thing, though, since it firmly cements Entrepreneur for what it is, giving it an extremely distinct identity and niche in the OHR library.
Entrepreneur is not an OHRRPG, nor is it an adventure or a riveting story waiting to be told. It is straight-up business, and if you enjoy pinching pennies and watching a businessman grow and flourish, then stop reading this and download the game. The rest of us will happily ignore it in favor of a different OHR title.