Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Post by JSH357 »

JSH’s 2011 OHR Game Blog #26 – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JSH357

In my last two reviews of my Harry Potter games, I just explained some of the development process that went in to them. That was probably more entertaining than an actual review of the games could have been, but I suppose that I should address the elephant in the room. These movies suck.

Yeah, I was making them to screw around and annoy people. Yeah, some people found it amusing and I personally found it extremely amusing. But no, I think this spur of the moment idea just isn't that funny in practice.

The problem with the whole joke being that it's annoying and you have to sit through it is that I can't FORCE anyone to sit through it. In fact, that kind of applies to any game you make. It doesn't matter what amazing stuff is in your game if your player can't be arsed to get through the whole thing. That's a lesson I hope every game developer takes to heart, as it's very important to bear in mind while you are developing.

One example: mistah_j quit playing Motrya after the intro because he thought it played out too long and had too much to read. Sure, you could argue he's illiterate, but it's actually a very astute criticism that I took quite seriously, to the point of planning a new intro (The current one in the demo is the third or fourth).

Always make a game tolerable, even if it's a joke. Otherwise, your audience will never get anywhere and then NOBODY'S happy.

Rating: 1 Lesson Learned out of 10
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com