Minecraft Thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

GLOW wrote:I think there is a tool you can get to save chunks, so you won't lose everything.
Yes, I did figure out how to save a backup copy of the map on the server, so if I do reset it to generate a new map I can put a copy of the old map up for people to download... but I still have no idea how to reset the map on the server :)
jaguar
Slime

Post by jaguar »

I would vote to restart, but I wouldn't be losing too much =D. Not sure how exactly you access your server but for servers I have run off my own computer I can simply go to the folder the server application is held in and find the folder that matches the world name. You can then rename/move/delete that folder and restart the server. It should generate a new map.

#Minecraft server properties
#Thu Oct 20 22:58:49 PDT 2011
level-name=LAN <--- The folder of your active world will match this name

Alternatively, you could go into single player and gen a map look around a bit then transfer that over if you are happy with it. To get that world's folder, go to run -> type %appdata% ->open .minecraft -> open Saves -> copy/paste the folder for the new world and paste it into the server folder.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I don't have any direct access to the files on the server (hosted by multiplay.co.uk)

My argument against restarting a new world (playing devil's advocate here) is because of the nifty constructions some people (including myself) have put a lot of time into, and because so far I have not heard any confirmation that anything is will be missing. I know if any of the three Strongholds that could have spawned in 1.8 have already spawned, they will not get Ender Portals, but all the rest of the Strongholds will have them I also know that already-spawned villages won't have villagers, but I think newly spawned villages will have them (not that they do anything) And I know that the old parts of the Nether will not have Nether fortresses, but all unexplored parts of the Nether will have them.

The only downside (that I am aware of) to sticking with the current map is that we have to explore further. That doesn't seem like a bad thing.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

If there were more people around, I'd suggest a server restart but most of the time I don't see anyone in there, and a little exploration's good. Couple day's walk in any direction the game starts generating new terrain, and it's even quicker if you utilize the nether.

So barring some terrible horrible incompatibility that has yet to pop up, a sudden influx of new users or a sudden outflow of old ones, I think things are good the way they are and we'd just be torturing ourselves to restart.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

my mom says i shouldnt hang out with you guys. you are bad influences for my addictions. on a related note, i hear you can get your first hit of minecraft for free in single player... is this true? if so, i totally want to try it. if i like it, i might join you guys online one day.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Yeah, single player's free.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

is that just minecraft classic? i downloaded the game, but i can't play it that way. i'd have to buy the game to play it right?
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'm not sure if things have changed in the past year, but you used to be able to create an account (which is free), log in, and play single player locally.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

unfortunately, it appears that you can only play the java based minecraft classic. :( that version kinda sucks. i guess i know what i'm getting for christmas.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I did some exploring last night and I can confirm that villages with NPCs, Nether Fortresses, and snow biomes are spawning. I can also confirm that I've built the world's ugliest plantation house and most creepered ranch.

Iron armor is amazing now.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Oh, and could someone add my brother "Snodrvr" to the whitelist?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Gizmog wrote:I did some exploring last night and I can confirm that villages with NPCs, Nether Fortresses, and snow biomes are spawning. I can also confirm that I've built the world's ugliest plantation house and most creepered ranch.
Yay! I am delighted to hear this (the NPC,s Nether fortresses, and snow biomes part, not the worlds most creepered ranch part)

Snodrvr is added to the players list now.

@Mogri: minecraft classic (which I think was version 0.3) is free to play. Single Player of the full game is not free. (although I think you can play demo mode for free, but I have no idea how long that lasts)

@mrjohn: The Java version IS minecraft. The only versions of minecraft that are not Java based is Minecraft Mobile Android/iOS and the not-yet-released Minecraft for Xbox 360. You can download a standalone version of minecraft to your computer and play it without a separate Java installation, but it is still written in Java
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

ah. well that's okay, i stand by my "minecraft classic sucks" remark.

i'm all for new minecraft. :)
Fortis
Super Slime

Post by Fortis »

HELLO I would like to be whitelisted.
My username is terrible, as I picked it in a fit of frustration that Fortis, TheSlimeKing,The_Slime_King, and Seb (including Seb_, Seb__, Seb___, etc) were all taken.

It is Troll_Bromance.

I will regret it forever. :(
Please read Blasphemous Saga Fantasy okay thanks
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Fortis, your delightfully regrettable name has been added to the whitelist. :)