Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I just got Trials and Tribulations. A++ material thus far.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

I just completed the second one. The story is great as usual (nice plot twists!), but the one thing I hated was the new courtroom music. The new ones sound too cheery and like a poorly done remix of the originals which, captured the intensity and atmosphere much better. The worst song was the new Objection! theme which I absolutely hope is not in the third PW (which I coincidentally, got in the mail just as I finished the second). The song is terrible! It sounds way too happy, and the feeling of the song doesn't match the feeling of finding contradicting evidence at all. The song itself, I must object to. -_- However, most of the new songs outside the courtroom are awesome. I especially like the song that plays when SPOILERMatt Engrade is revealed to be guiltySPOILER. I thought it fit perfectly, as did the song that you first hear upon meeting Adrian Andrews. Fit her well, as well as the songs you hear anew for the circus people (The ventriloquist, clown and animal tamer).

My favorite character is still Wendy Oldbag. She's just hilarious.
Mazin
Slime Knight

Post by Mazin »

A lot of the new music in PW2 bothered me, but I think a lot of that was just cause I loved the old music and was used to it. I liked the music for new characters and stuff just fine, I only didn't like the music that replaced music from the first game.

Your criticism of the courtroom music is strange to me though, most of it seems much less cheery to me than the songs in PW1.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I played PW2 first and had zero problems with it, so I think a lot of the criticisms of the game come from people who played the series in order. In other words, PW2 just isn't as good as the original. (But it's still good!)
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Really, Iblis? The courtroom songs sound watered down and not as intense. The lack of intensity make it feel more cheery. The first one might have had that sort of feeling, but it was sharper and stronger than the ones for the second which, just feel really weak.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I just finished PW3. Couldn't stop playing it all week. It is the best of all three games, without any doubt--gripping from beginning to end. It ties the prequels together very nicely and fills out all kinds of details about the main characters, some of which caught me totally off guard. If you liked the other two games, get this one immediately!

JSH gives it a rare five out of five.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

I agree! Just finished the third game... amazing how they wrapped everything up nicely. The only thing left unmentioned is the fourth piece of evidence Fransika got from the last case in Justice for All. I thought she was going to show it to Wright the next time they met?

I'd have to say this is one of the best series of games I've ever played. It was definitely worth its weight in gold, if not more. 5/5... 10/10... 100%... whichever! :)

I noticed they are coming out with a fourth one in January of 2008, supposedly with a new guy, and it starts off with Phoenix himself being the defendant! Can't say I'm too psyched about it, but I'll undoubtedly get it just to see if it's as good as the Wright series.
Fortis
Super Slime

Post by Fortis »

Only One In All wrote:I agree! Just finished the third game... amazing how they wrapped everything up nicely. The only thing left unmentioned is the fourth piece of evidence Fransika got from the last case in Justice for All. I thought she was going to show it to Wright the next time they met?

I'd have to say this is one of the best series of games I've ever played. It was definitely worth its weight in gold, if not more. 5/5... 10/10... 100%... whichever! :)

I noticed they are coming out with a fourth one in January of 2008, supposedly with a new guy, and it starts off with Phoenix himself being the defendant! Can't say I'm too psyched about it, but I'll undoubtedly get it just to see if it's as good as the Wright series.
The new guy's name is APPOLO JUSTICE, and Instead of Gumshoe, Ema Skye (from PW1 Case 5) is his detective contact
Please read Blasphemous Saga Fantasy okay thanks
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I just got a DS and Ace Attorney the other day, and I am having so much trouble finding time to play Phantom Hourglass because I just can't put down this game!
I'm just after the first trial of episode four, but christ is this game amazing. Von Karma is horrible! I'm surprised sometimes they never declare mistrial with all the evidence of witness tampering these prosecutors do! And then they try to object when you call the on it, even. Von Karma doesn't even hide the fact he was tampering with it! He'll just object to it's entry to the court record because he was hiding it! Christ!
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I know, isn't it great?
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

That's the power of the US judicial system. :devil:
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Shadowiii wrote:That's the power of the US judicial system. :devil:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/ ... oom-drama/
Multiplayer: The “Phoenix Wright” games are very funny, but as far as I know are not at all accurate to the way the legal system works. How did you decide upon the legal system in “Phoenix Wright”? Is it based on any real-world legal system? Or is it just designed to be one that simply works well as a game?

Matsukawa: Well, going back to how the game system was conceived, the team didn’t think of the court idea first, and instead was focused on the idea of uncovering lies and contradictions. Actually, what’s funny is when the Japanese press asks us about this same issue, they usually think we based the game’s system off of the American judicial system! But if we really had based the game off of a real court system, it might not be quite as interesting as a game, simply because court proceedings usually aren’t interesting, right? I think that more than the setting, the game itself has to be interesting. The system in the game is really, at its core, about chasing down witnesses and trying to catch them in the act of lying, so keeping this as the most important aspect of the game and gameplay in mind, we didn’t base the judicial system in “Ace Attorney” off of any real systems, but instead created something unique to the “Ace Attorney” world.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

They even detail how in the future, with the courts system hopelessly clogged, the whole legal system was redone, with the three day limit and everything. Other changes include: elimination of the perjury charge, elimination of jury of peers, reversal of "innocent until proven guilty" principle.
It's like the slimmest bit of evidence or witness testimony can put the whole burden of proof on the defense.
I love it.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

Thanks for ruining my joke, jack@ss. >:(
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I just acquired Justice For All, literally about five minutes ago. I hadn't planned on it, but a co-worker put it up for sale for $10, and at a price that delicious I couldn't pass.

Having not played any of the earlier games, is there anything I should know before starting this one?