The Top 30, Summer 2011

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Voting almost closed, but you still have time!
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Throwing out my old list and starting a new one:

1. Legendary Heroes
-Most enjoyable traditional style game I've played in a long time. If Spoonweaver keeps adding to it, I'll keep playing it.

2. Okedoke
-It's rude in many ways, but it covers quite a span of storyline and has one of the best visual presentations for a straight-up OHR RPG to come out in a long time. Even in its incomplete state, few games feel more complete than this one.

3. Slimes!
-Highly polished gameplay and challenging puzzles make this the definitive non-RPG on the engine.

4. Mr. Triangle's Maze
-Another fantastic puzzler that I hear is just about finished for good. Can't wait.

5. Wandering Hamster
-The game was great back in the day, but even with it receiving minimal updates in the last twelve years, each new addition adds a new layer of personality to it, and makes it worth coming back for more.

6. Village People: The Video Game
-Another RPG designed strictly for entertainment, I think it accomplishes the rich character/simple design combo perfectly. I hope it'll get an update soon.

7. Vikings of Midgard
- Another traditional that keeps getting pushed down the list thanks to its lengthy delay in significant updates, but still fun for what's there.

8. Surlaw Armageddon
-Darker than Walthros, but just as good when you give it a fair chance. This game needs more love than it's gotten.

9. Horse Game
-The voice acting not only saves it from being stupid, but it actually accomplishes the rare task of making it fun. When did we go from liking an OHR game strictly for its graphics to strictly for its voice acting? What a strange world we live in.

10. OHR House Heroes
-Technically outdated now, it's still one of the more entertaining non-interactive games we have. Relies less on community popularity and follows more on character popularity, it does less to alienate new members than its funnier predecessor does. Also, it has bonus games that are interactive, making it technically superior.

11. Bell of Chaos
-Play control is awkward and there doesn't seem to be much of a story yet, but the ambition to make a unique platformer shows, and I think it's worth a vote for that.

12. Don't Eat Soap
-Another great platformer that's downvoted only for its limited game time. A longer game with better puzzles would've gone higher up the list.

13. Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
-This is one of those games I've avoided for the longest time because the 8-bit classic RPGs didn't seem like that much fun to me. Then I watched Shizuma play it on Livestream once and was immediately taken in by its awesomeness. Now I can't wait for an update.

14. Duck
-The game itself is okay, but I love the premise behind it, and I think the writing is suburb. I'd love it if we did a "Detective" contest sometime, where the idea is to make games that require us to solve a mystery. (I won't start it myself, though.)

15. Lolsidothaldremobine
-Listed here primarily for prestige, primarily for the fact that I'm struggling to fill this list, I still think this is one of the old, old classics that shouldn't be ignored over time.

Plenty of others that I like, but these would be the 15 I'm choosing for this season.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yay to your new list!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

1. Puckamon
It's even better than what it pokes fun at, which was already a series I kinda liked some.

2. Okedoke! La Leyenda Mexicana
Fart jokes aside, I loved the humor in this game. The presentation makes me nostalgic for playing RPGs on my GameBoy Color. Senor Death is my favorite character -- something I didn't think I'd say about someone with a skull for a head.

3. Wandering Hamster
This game remains solid after all this time, and unlike a certain other game I can mention, I like it more each time it updates instead of less.

4. Walthros
Salom is kickawesome. The rest of the characters are okay, I guess.

5. Walthrus: Return of the Crystals
Salom is slightly less kickawesome, but everyone else is funnier.

6. Spellshard: The Black Crown of Horgoth
The initial charm that first entranced me has worn out some, but I still love this game's premise, graphical style, and execution. If only it were a little bit less buggy.

7. Don't Eat Soap
Like Bubble Bobble, this was fun and interesting. Unlike Bubble Bobble, I could beat it.

8. Village People: The Videogame
Far above average for the OHR in every regard, while still being a traditional RPG. While I'm not familiar with the band, I like the characters in their own right. (I also dig their brotherly love.)

9. Tales of the New World I
Very wordy, but I like that. Similar to my favorite professionally made RPG series in a good way; I'd probably rank it higher if I could get past the dwarf's chapter.

10. Space InvadOHRs
Just because I like to mod it with my own characters.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't know why I have this ridiculous delusion every time that there's a poll that I'll get around to playing some games I've meant to. It's why I always vote at the last moment.

Sword of Jade
Voting for SoJ is so untrendy these days. I'll never give up!

Adventures of Powerstick Man
Who knows, maybe this would be #1 if I were actually performing my playtester duties? However I'm pretty sure this has by now surpassed all others as the biggest and most detailed OHRRPGCE game.

The top two are bad enough, but the ranking of the next several games is totally arbitrary. There's no game I consider 3rd best, nor 4th best, etc.

Wandering Hamster
It's the one game in which you can faith that it won't abandoned before completion... but at this rate it won't be completed. Woe!

Tightfloss Maiden
This is exactly my kind of game. Ambience, mystery, polish. Pepsi is a great story teller even without words.

Sleepover
What do I say? Speechless.

Motrya
I'm not voting for Lytesnap, you know. Lytesnap is a perculairly unnecessary distraction from an immersive RPG with very fun battles.

Walthros
It's been so long since I played this, I can't remember much except that it's pretty good :(

Bell of Chaos
Just look at this game! James' games are more polished than anyone elses, and I wish everyone else would try harder to follow his example.

Okedoke
This game is in many aspects technically excellent and mostly very enjoyable. I don't mind a non-serious game including geckos and breakfast cereals, but it's a true pity it wasn't more mature about it.

Do You Want To Be A Hero?
I still feel bad that this was released without me even noticing for a year, because it deserves attention.

Who Killed Dinosaur Giant?
This is the best OHRRPGCE Movie.

City of Dreams
Orchard is underrepresented on this list. This is my fault entirely. This isn't even one of his more popular games!

Monterey Penguin
I know that this game isn't actually as good as I remember, but the memory is pretty darn good. Of it being quite similar (including in quality) to Wandering Hamster, in fact.

Dragon Bustier
A well designed, executed, and fun distillation of the RPG. Next I guess I should give Spellshard another shot.

Bandit Revolver
Shiz is right; I definitely should go replay this.

Trailblazers
To be honest I've only played about one screen into this, because sometimes I have zero patience (or platforming skill). But it deserves to be on this list just for the introduction, it's that good.

Noooooo why can I only vote for 15 games

Mandatory disclaimer: if I didn't vote for your game, it's because I haven't played (or finished) it yet, of course.

PS: please give Giz a special prize
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.