Spoonweaver's OHR Journal

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well Legendary Heroes is progressing at an even pace. You may have seen the hype picture I posted before. If not here it is again.
It's not really showing much, I know. The game is almost ready for an update. However, I'm holding off on any updates until "HotOHR 2: The Reckoning". Hopefully, I can place even higher this time.

Also, the Tim-Tim game for Xbox Live indie arcade has basically been canceled. The plan was to branch out into different game making mediums, but I seem to have picked Flash games, without thinking, instead. You may have seen my first attempt at a flash game post somewhere on this forum already. If not here it is:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Spoonwe ... hitty-game
I didn't really try to hard on this one. I just wanted to get a feel for the whole game making process one goes through when making a flash game.

In other news, some of my games were added to Softpedia.com's database.
Tim-Tim "The Mighty Gnome"
Tim-Tim's Tower
Slimes
I'm not a fan of how they feel the need to host the files themselves, but they assure me that I can stay in contact with them and get them to update their files when necessary. So, let's hope they get hundreds of downloads there.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Kind of odd that the site lists Tim-Tim (and probably the others too, though I didin't check) as being for Windows Vista/Windows 7 only... I know even the newest Windows versions of the OHRRPGCE work on XP, though I'm not sure about 98/95/3.1. My dad still has a computer with Windows 98 sitting around, maybe I should try it.

Looks like people are definitely downloading your games from there, though. Tim-Tim already had 19 downloads just now when I looked, which is more than most games get in a month from here.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well, I think most games pick up a decent amount of downloads when they first get uploaded. I'm hoping that they pick up more on softpedia soon though.
I'm already disappointed with my download counts over at Download.com, and I hope Softpedia can do better.

Anyways, on to Legendary Heroes!

I've been looking around for reviews for the game, that really get into specifics concerning what people did and did not like about the game. I remember I found one of them really helpful when it mentioned putting new equipment way too close to the old equipment. That has since been fixed, and I'd love to be able to hear about more stuff people liked/disliked so that I can further improve my game. So if anyone knows of a review that I might have missed or forgotten about, or if you just want to throw your 2 cents in right on this thread please, leave a post.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Oh, I also plan to update some of my older games, to make them more polished and hopefully more fun.
[game]House Escape[/game], a game that I updated once already, is the first to be updated. This version should be easier and hopefully someone will be able to beat it this time.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

In other other news, I've compiled some of my games into a tech demo entry in the games section. Games such as Babies Vs Robots, Light Fight, and Turkey Hunter, can now be found in this game entry along with their full scripts.

On that note, Mogri, could you please delete the entries for babies vs robots, Automagically, and Light Fight. They have reviews,so I can't delete them. Could you also transfer the reviews over to the tech demos entry.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I just started Legendary Heroes the other day. I will be writing a review for Hamsterspeak this month, but I'll also send you my notes privately. I'm not really far enough into the game yet to give much to you now, except that I am enjoying the game so far (I'm about to leave the 2nd town).
I am Srime
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The game isn't much longer then that. That's one of the weaknesses of the game, it's short. That is being taken care of though. It's already close to twice as long.

But anyways, yea, I've rearranged some of my games to better present them on this site. The Techno Ships are both together, and so are the deforestations. I've collected up all my Tech Demos and even turned some games I didn't really care for into tech demos. I'm trying to my my game collection seem more presentable in general, instead of the mess of half games it once was.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

OK, I'm done messing around with my games. The titles they're under and the groupings they're in will stay the same from now on.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Check out this Flash game I threw together.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Spoonwe ... eance-pigs

Angry Birds, eat your heart out.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

My main focus is now on Legendary Heroes. Plans to improve Slimes are also in the works. A Slimes Deluxe might be hitting slimesalad before the year is out.

In Legendary Heroes, I've been working on the 4 main heroes that you'll be adventuring with.
The MAIN main character is of course Biff.

You also meet Guy, however he can only be a member of the party for a short while and isn't really what one would call a main character.

Then there is Myrtle. You might remember her from her short cameo is Deforestation. She has stepped in to fill the Vital roll of Healer/Buffer for this team.

There are 2 other main characters in this game that have yet to be revealed. 1 of them may seem familiar if you've played some of my less popular games, but the other is completely new.
I'll be revealing them as time goes by, so be sure to stay tuned.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Haha, Vengeance Pigs is pretty clever. I can see that idea go far.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Following up on the review in HS, I'd like to cover some of the things mentioned.

First the buildings. I for one agreed with this and had changed them already. You can no longer walk behind any of the buildings. I feel this worked well in the pokemon series and so it should work well here. I also changed the look of the roofs a bit.

Also, the music. Even though I didn't think the music was bad.... I still already have plans to change it to original music. I'm currently recruiting a musician, though I'm in no hurry to do so seeing as HotOHR2:OHR in Time is so far away.

As for Pepsi's remark on different landscapes. I had thought I was doing a pretty good job of that already. The third town is pretty different from the first 2 in my opinion. But, if that's not enough, I've got some forest areas coming up in the game so perhaps they will be more to your liking.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoon, my remark on different landscapes was referring to the towns themselves changing over time. Town A may start off on a flat field, but by the end of the game it could be buried under a mound of rubble or chewed up by construction machines. Or maybe a mountain falls on it. Since you've already kept them dynamic in story, I figured some of them might do well to change dynamically in appearance. But that's what I meant. I figured each town would already have its own dedicated environment.

Also, because I liked Legendary Heroes so much, and because you seem to love naming the Heart of the OHR's sequel with new subtitles all the time, I think I may allow you to come up with 2012's official title. Go ahead, at your convenience, message me a list of your favorite subtitles. I may even select your first favorite as the official name. Persistence pays off, my friend.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

I think it would be funny for everyone to constantly refer to HOHR2 by a different subtitle, with a changing topic name as well.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Spoon, I think it's time to get serious. In it to win it, smell what I'm cooking here? Legendary Heroes: Dominion of Heroes. Yeah, card games.

No items, only cards. When people die, they turn into cards. When people do things, they require cards. Cards cards cards!! I'm telling you.

So help me if I play the next release and see no cards >:(