HamsterSpeak 51 Online

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

HamsterSpeak 51 Online

Post by The Wobbler »

http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue51/cover.html

Contest results, reviews, Cardblorp.
NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

That's odd, where is the Facebook "like" button on this issue (I want to share this with the world).

I really liked this issue, especially SD Hawk's review of The Omega, I couldn't believe that this one is so unheard of. I downloaded it when I first joined the OHR community almost 3 years ago now and took it as one of my bigger inspirations.
You must play this game at least once, and play the bundled Adventures of Fred, just to see how a newbie game really can become something like The Omega.

I'm also morbidly curious about the origins of Cardblorp.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Haha, I can't believe you included Nathan's comment about Aragorn being the 2nd.

Lots of reviews! The consistent quality of these has been one of the greatest things about this magazine, in my opinion. The Shade retrospective was also very interesting. Stupid Battle Gimmicks #4 is my favorite SBG installment so far I think. I'm becoming a fan of this idea of taking essentially one gimmick at a time and showing various uses for it.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

NeoSpade wrote:That's odd, where is the Facebook "like" button on this issue (I want to share this with the world).
Last month I was the one and only person to click it, and it felt stupid to have it there with "one person likes this" next to it. You can just copy and paste the link if you want to share it.
I'm also morbidly curious about the origins of Cardblorp.
Bob had a story to tell.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Meatballsub's review of Nordomin: Quest of Creole mentions another game called Magic Force with selectable classes. I downloaded this a minute ago to take a look at it. There don't seem to be any selectable classes and the game seems bugged so that you can't progress once you get in the airship (5 minutes into the game). Can anyone verify whether or not Meatballsub is actually referring to the right game?
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Meatballsub's review of Nordomin: Quest of Creole mentions another game called Magic Force with selectable classes. I downloaded this a minute ago to take a look at it. There don't seem to be any selectable classes and the game seems bugged so that you can't progress once you get in the airship (5 minutes into the game). Can anyone verify whether or not Meatballsub is actually referring to the right game?
Wow, good catch. The game I meant to refer to was "War of the Elements", which is another game made by Locke. You can find the game here:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/jm11/gam ... ements.zip

Surlaw, can you fix that in the magazine for me when you have a chance? Sorry about that :hurr:
NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

Surlaw wrote:Last month I was the one and only person to click it, and it felt stupid to have it there with "one person likes this" next to it. You can just copy and paste the link if you want to share it.
*facepalm* I knew I'd forgot something, fixed that now. :)
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

NeoSpade wrote:I really liked this issue, especially SD Hawk's review of The Omega, I couldn't believe that this one is so unheard of. I downloaded it when I first joined the OHR community almost 3 years ago now and took it as one of my bigger inspirations.
You must play this game at least once, and play the bundled Adventures of Fred, just to see how a newbie game really can become something like The Omega.
Forgot to mention that I appreciate the kind words about The Omega. I'd suggest keeping an eye out for the update/re-release here in the next few months. It should be well worth another playthough if you enjoyed the original game.

Which reminds me I will probably have a preview set up for it for either the next Hamsterspeak or the one after that.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Meatballsub wrote:Wow, good catch. The game I meant to refer to was "War of the Elements", which is another game made by Locke. You can find the game here:

Surlaw, can you fix that in the magazine for me when you have a chance? Sorry about that :hurr:
That link is no good. After doing quick research, I can say with some certainty that War of the Elements no longer exists on the internet. Tragic!
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Seems like that's happened to a lot of old games--they were uploaded to some other website (usually a free site hosted by Angelfire or Geocities or something like that) and then when those websites (or their entire hosts in the case of Geocities) went down, they were lost forever.

I know several of my own unfinished games were that way--most notably Spuduf Splorchers and Staff of Parupoo, but also Xutt's Tournament (my horrible 48-hour contest entry from way back in 2001.)
Of course, it's really my fault that those got lost, rather than the fault of the Angelfire site I had them hosted on, since for some odd reason I deleted their files sometime around 2004 or so when I was decided I wasn't ever going to finish them. And I never did upload any of them to Castle Paradox, even though I'm pretty sure I still had them back in 2003 when I uploaded Frankfurter's Quest for Soap there.

My old site was actually still up the last time I checked, but I wiped the actual content of it a while back... so there's nothing really there anymore unless you use that Internet Archive thing, and even that only gets bits and pieces from different time periods (and misses most of the stuff I would've actually wanted to go back and see, dammit.)

Hmm... now that I think about it, that might be a good idea for a future article. Lost/forgotten games. The hard part would be getting any screenshots or information about them, though... since they're lost and forgotten and all.
I still have a couple of screenshots from Xutt's Tournament (found in a review of it from way back when that 48-hour contest was recent), but none from any of my other "lost" games--I have some stray graphics from Spuduf Splorchers still, and a few from Staff of Parupoo ended up in the ending of the previous game, but that's about it. I suspect most of these old games have just completely disappeared, so there wouldn't be much in the articles aside from what people remember of them.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

All of the winners of the film festival contest need to PM me their addresses. I should hopefully be able to mail out stuff by middle of August. But I plan to start on it in 2 weeks. If you don't PM me before then I'll assume you're not interested in your prize.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Willy Elektrix wrote:
Meatballsub wrote:Wow, good catch. The game I meant to refer to was "War of the Elements", which is another game made by Locke. You can find the game here:

That link is no good. After doing quick research, I can say with some certainty that War of the Elements no longer exists on the internet. Tragic!
Must be your browser then because it works just fine for me. Try this one:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/jm11/gam ... ments.html
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

And people complain about MY site design, holy god.

Edit: I seriously can't read a single word on this page except its title. http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/jm11/games/Fat_Frog.html
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Surlaw wrote:I seriously can't read a single word on this page except its title. http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/jm11/games/Fat_Frog.html
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I enjoyed the review of Omega. I have been procrastinating a playthrough of that game for seriously way too long.