In unrelated Anthrocon news... (and the demise of Misteroo)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

In unrelated Anthrocon news... (and the demise of Misteroo)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Forking this from Fenrir's comment in the now-locked OHRFilm voting thread.
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote: In unrelated Anthrocon news... yes I'm in Pittsburgh...

If James made a "Games of the Hamster Republic 2" CD to sell *here* and a print of some of his webcomics, he'd make a killing. Surprised Bob the Hamster is apparently known by all KINDS of folks, and the fact that James has never had a panel/booth is a mystery to a lot of people I've talked to. Also, the creator of the Last Unicorn is apparently aware of the existence of the Heroists. Moreover, the creator of "The Biting Pear" LOVES Mr. Pepper.

And on another semi-related note, Seppel (Maker of Arfenhouse 4 part 1) has officially confirmed that he was the last person who ever saw Misteroo alive and in person some 3-4 years ago. The last project he ever did was apparently a short animated commercial for a collectible card game. After that, he apparently has been trapped in the groinkickvoid/cappa-space with no way out.

Or dead.

And I'm serious about that last part.
I never really thought about trying to do a panel/booth. I have never attended any convention really (Well, one SIGGRAPH like 14 years ago, that I don't remember well) but it is an interesting idea. Seems like I should got to a con or two before I try to participate on a presenter level. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints I wouldn't try to attend any con outside of california (not this year anyway)

The idea of selling a game on a CD seems so antiquated to me... maybe a Games of the Hamster Republic USB thumbdrive?

As for the vanishment of Misteroo, I guess I had not realized his disappearance was quite so mysterious. This is the stuff from which myths grow.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I think it'd be kinda fun if we did have a community thing like that. We could utilize the Game of the Year scoring Surlaw does for Hamster Speak and put like... the 10 best scored games/movies up there and then it can showcase what we as a community can offer. I'm not sure off hand of the rules, but I'd want this disc/thumbdrive to show off different games each year. But maybe a disc would be best. We could have an annual art cover, and maybe even a booklet where the author of the games on the disc talks about their game or something. We all have enough connections to be able to put out something we as a community can be proud of.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

- There's Further Confusion in california.

- Sell it on a DVD, haha

- Start OHR CON. I WILL SEE YOU THERE``
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

If my research is correct, there was some sort of rudimentary OHR "meetup" a few years back?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

That would be the legendary OHR House, chronicled for the ages here:
http://www.castleparadox.com/archive/op ... rhouse.php .
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I had been planning to do something like this myself. A lot of the cons I go to have cheap artist tables and I was going to set up a computer at one and feature one of my games there and sell copies. ( Mostly likely Tim-Tim or Slimes )

So, the idea of doing it together as a community really gets me excited!
Just a couple of things I'd like us to consider.

First, which con would be best? We should research them and while doing so keep in mind the locations of the people that would potentially be running it.

Second, how would be fund it? Tables at these things can sometimes run a pretty high price, and even though one of us could pay for it themselves, I think we as a community could instead all chip in. (The creation of the CD's would cost something too.) ((Oh and definitely CD's, they're cheap and everyone relates games with CD's))

That's all I could think of right now.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

What do tables at cons typically cost?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well they vary quite a lot depending on the con. The ones I was looking at were about $700. I know that there are also cheaper artist tables sometimes that you can get cheaper, but I'm not sure if a indie gaming community would qualify. Again that really depends on the con.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

I dunno; around here we have lots of small cons that are desperate for content, and if you have skills that would be applicable for a panel they would put you on (if you were comfortable with that).
Also local cons tend to have cheap tables, too.
I've never actually been a panelist in a convention, but I go to a lot of them. It would be worth checking out, especially if you are in a college town where they have cons ALL THE TIME.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
novakaiser
Slime

Post by novakaiser »

C'mon, get real; is the actual OHR House legendary? I admit that it was a milestone for what the community, or hell, the internet consisted of back at the turn of the century, but I saw it as the misadventures of youth. I reckon we all had more balls back in the day to pull something like that off when the internet was all dark and oh so scary, haha.

(And I can't believe the HEROISTS got a mention. I honestly hope that Peter Beagle never investigates it, really, because it was hamrful convolution that is best left buried.)

Anyways, I cast my vote for an OHR panel. Like others have said before me, it's potentially cheap and the publicity would be good. Plus, the OHR and Bob deserve it.

Btw, I don't think anybody remembers me (except Charbile: hello there!). And it's probably for the better! This wasn't how I intended to return, exactly; I've only been lurking. But I've a nifty project to distribute this year...
Last edited by novakaiser on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I remember youuuuuuuu
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

James, show me your webcomic.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Newbie Newtype wrote:James, show me your webcomic.
You mean the <a href="http://hamsterrepublic.com/bobcomic/">one I haven't updated since 2004</a>?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Yes, that.

I don't remember this existing.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

I loved that comic. The jokes were great and Bob is always charming no matter what the medium