Game Making Video Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Game Making Video Contest

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I know most of us are all contested out, and I know the RGC contest is coming sooner or later, but I also know that contests have a way of motivating many of us.

I propose a Game Making Video contest. The idea is that you continue working on whatever game you were already planning on working on, but you use screen recording software to record a few short segments of yourself working on your game (possibly with commentary) and then upload them to Youtube. Many of us have done this before, so this shouldn't be anything too difficult or new, just this would emphasize recordings of game creation, not game playing.

For example, I plan to record myself fixing some Wandering Hamster bugs, and adding some new content.

I don't know how a voting/winning structure should work for a contest like this, or even if it is strictly necessary.

Does anybody like this plan? Any input or suggestions?
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Contest or not, I'd watch them. Livestream is a lot of fun.

Especially if there's commentary. It would be too funny not to: to listen to people making video games as background music while making games.
NayusDante
Red Slime

Post by NayusDante »

Not promising anything, but I might record some worklogs to my Ustream account. A lot of it would just be me messing around with map editors, though...
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Come to think of it, the video content could be just about anything, so long as it contributes to the game design process.

I could record myself doing all kinda stuff:
  • -Scribbling ideas and designs on [s]paper[/s] I have a tablet so I guess I could do this in Photoshop instead
    -Drawing, editing, and importing sprites into CUSTOM
    -Tweaking maps through the map editor
    -Fiddling with SFXR to come up with sound effects
    -Composing game music in Anvil Studio
    -Ironing out pre-existing bugs in my games
    -Drafting new plotscripts
    -Writing out plot and dialogue while talking about it
In the time it took me to write all those possibilities, I've decided that I'll pick my video content with the help of a random number generator. I'll consult the RNG at the start of the video and work from there, being prepared to do anything. I'll probably also make many videos on a schedule of some kind. To be honest, I don't think the "contest" will matter to me, it's great that this will re-ignite progress on my games.
This is probably the most productive thing I will do this July. I'll try to get started when I'm back from vacation next week.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I'm down. This sounds like an interesting idea.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

<param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
NayusDante
Red Slime

Post by NayusDante »

Wow, your tilesets are organized. Mine are not.

I've got Ustream Procaster installed and set up, might stream some work tonight. Debating whether to work on what's left of EF or try working on something new...
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

NayusDante wrote:Wow, your tilesets are organized. Mine are not.
Oh wow, you watch it. Yea, I try to keep things in a way that I'm not spending a large amount of time hunting things down. I also try to keep 2 copied of each of my tiles. ( just in case. ) These 2 things do however end up taking a lot of my tilemap space up though.
NayusDante
Red Slime

Post by NayusDante »

At the very least, I'm going to do some maps tonight. If you watch, I'll show you how my workflow goes. I don't use the OHR map editor...
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

Love this idea. One question, though. What's a good screen recording program to use? I've never done this sort of thing :P
NayusDante
Red Slime

Post by NayusDante »

Well, I've got my stream up right now if you want to see how Ustream works.

Not gonna use a mic tonight, just gonna see if I can hammer out some maps and stuff.

I'll record it and it'll still be available to watch later, if anyone feels like checking it out.
Last edited by NayusDante on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I haven't used any others, but I've found Livestream really easy to use.
Whitfield
Slime

Post by Whitfield »

G-Wreck wrote:Love this idea. One question, though. What's a good screen recording program to use? I've never done this sort of thing :P
CamStudio is lightweight, free and simple for recording. Won't work for streaming though.
NayusDante
Red Slime

Post by NayusDante »

Well so much for that idea, kept crashing...

Maybe once I start a new project, I'll record everything from start to finish. It'll be interesting to see if I can do a time lapse video of everything.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

If anybody else is using Linux, I have had pretty good luck with gtk-recordMyDesktop

...although it outputs ogg theory movies, and last time I checked, youtube's support for ogg theora was broken. That was months ago, maybe they fixed it by now.

I worked around the youtube problem by transcoding to mpeg4 using mencoder from the mplayer package (which is actually a little bit of a pain, so if anybody has any better Linux suggestions, my ears are open)