OHR FILM FESTIVAL CONTEST

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

OHR FILM FESTIVAL CONTEST

Post by RMZ »

Surlaw and I are hosting together, the first ever OHR Film Festival Contest!

Objective: To create more OHR movies! The majority of the ones on our gamelists are either OHR House or spinoffs, and we'd like to see something new by a wider variety of authors. Anyone can write a story, and to make an OHR movie, you just need the most basic knowledge of plotscripting. The objective of this contest is to create engaging OHR movies for everyone to enjoy, and if you're new, you might just learn some scripting that you can use to make your other games more fun to look at!

Rules: All entries must be made using the OHR engine, must be original and longer than two minutes. Fan Fiction is allowed, but must be an original story. For example, you are welcome to make your own episode of your favorite TV show, but are not allowed to wholesale copy an existing script into your movie. All graphics must also be yours; you can use all new graphics or graphics you made for another game, but not ripped ones from someone else's. We love Vikings of Midgard, but let's keep everything for this fresh and new.

When: Contest will run from May 21st to June 18th, giving everyone a month to make their movies. Voting will last one week after that, and the results will be in the July HamsterSpeak.

Scoring: Entrants may submit as many movies as they want. However, the final score an entrant may receive is the total average of all movies. Movies will be judged by three categories, presentation (including dynamic scripting, animating sprites, etc.), story, and overall quality. The final score for each movie will be an average of these three categories. Movies made as a team are counted as separate entries and do not count towards an individuals score; prizes will be divided up among the team.

Prizes: 1st Place will win a 20 dollar cash prize along with getting a fan art movie poster of their entry (if it's an average winning entrant, the winner picks the movie for the movie poster). 2nd Place will win 10 dollars and a poster, and 3rd Place will win a poster as well with no cash prize. Every entry will get a mini-review feature in HamsterSpeak. Posters will be mailed in cardboard tubes. Cash prizes will ONLY be given out in the event that more than five people participate in the contest.

Examples of past OHR movies:

-OHR House
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=280

-House Heroes
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=311

-Who Killed Dinosaur Giant?
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3708

-Barnabus's Twilight
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3565
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Not a bad idea. I wont be entering, but I sure hope Nathan and some others do.

Here's hoping the turn-out is better than this year's fangame contest!
NinjaOverdrive
Slime Knight
Location: Honestly, I got no clue...Margaritaville sounds nice....

Post by NinjaOverdrive »

Rad idea! I might try and churn something out and nothing else it'd be a great learning experience!

Say, would a movie preview for a game work?
Mewmew
Red Slime

Post by Mewmew »

Fantastic idea! I don't know much about scripting... I am interested to see how people will do ^^
ImageImage Arien and Fran HD Sprites
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm going to finally get around to making that Walthros Cop movie.
Sh4d0ws wrote:Not a bad idea. I wont be entering, but I sure hope Nathan and some others do.

Here's hoping the turn-out is better than this year's fangame contest!
I'm really, really hoping for a Nathan Karr movie myself.
NinjaOverdrive wrote:Rad idea! I might try and churn something out and nothing else it'd be a great learning experience!

Say, would a movie preview for a game work?
If the preview tells a story on its own then that would be fine, but if it was just basically a trailer I don't know if that should count. A short movie to set the stage for your game might be a good idea though, and you can always reuse the content you make for this contest in the game later!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

What viewer rating should I aim for:
  • PG
    PG-13
    R
    NC-17
What genre should I aim for:
  • Fantasy
    Science Fiction
    Horror
Where on the sliding scale of anthropomorphism should the cast be centered:
  • Little bit beastly
    Petting zoo person
    Funny animal
    Civilized animal
    Talking animal
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
NinjaOverdrive
Slime Knight

Post by NinjaOverdrive »

If the preview tells a story on its own then that would be fine, but if it was just basically a trailer I don't know if that should count. A short movie to set the stage for your game might be a good idea though, and you can always reuse the content you make for this contest in the game later!

Oh, you know what? I could totally do a short movie as a prequel to the game. I'm inspired like a ninja now!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Nathan Karr wrote:What viewer rating should I aim for:
PG

Horror

Funny animal
This sounds like an Oscar winning combination right here.
NinjaOverdrive wrote:Oh, you know what? I could totally do a short movie as a prequel to the game. I'm inspired like a ninja now!
Good luck, but I think it will be hard for anyone to beat Petting Zoo Person: A Nathan Karr Benediction.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 05, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mewmew
Red Slime

Post by Mewmew »

Surlaw wrote:
Nathan Karr wrote:What viewer rating should I aim for:
PG

Horror

Funny animal
This sounds like an Oscar winning combination right here.
I agree, hilarity in a horror genre that almost anyone can watch... going to be very amusing ♥ Hmm... would that be like "Scary Movie"?
ImageImage Arien and Fran HD Sprites
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

NC-17
Horror
Petting Zoo
NinjaOverdrive
Slime Knight

Post by NinjaOverdrive »

I was gonna go with R-rating, Science-Fiction, Funny Animals; like a mature-oriented Star Wars with an animal cast.
Good luck, but I think it will be hard for anyone to beat Petting Zoo Person: A Nathan Karr Benediction.

Nathan's probably got tons more skills and definitely more experience than me, but I'll still tackle this as I do with all things and go all out.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

You don't need a lot of scripting knowledge to do this NinjaOverdrive. Seriously, the House shows were easy to make, just time consuming. I copied JSH's style for the majority of my show, and all it is for a basic show, is a map as small as you can make it, no need for camera panning this way, and then you use the "walk NPC" commands along with "alter NPC" if you want to get flashy. It seriously is easy. If you've never done scripting, this will at the very least, help you get better with cutscenes for your games. Alot of new user games are just custom based with no scripting. Alot of my earlier games used the same scripting commands as this.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Hoo wee, this sounds exciting! I'm looking forward to brainstorming some ideas. And since it's summer, heck, [s]it's not like I've got anything to distract me![/s] LIES, Summer is when EVERYTHING becomes a distraction! Even so, I'm going to give this some honest thinking.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Hmm... when I first heard about this I had no idea what I'd make, but now I've got a couple of ideas popping into my head here and there.

And oddly enough, they'd both have the exact same rap song as background music for at least one scene.

No idea if I'll actually stay interested long enough to get either of them done, but... if it starts to look like less than five people are going to enter, I'll at least try to rush something out so there's a better chance that whoever makes something good can get some money. XD
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
NinjaOverdrive
Slime Knight

Post by NinjaOverdrive »

You don't need a lot of scripting knowledge to do this NinjaOverdrive...

Actually, I've done quite a bit of scripting for my current game--the text file is up to 700+ words, 13 scripts imported and I've come to realize I just like writing scripts...in fact, the first minute or two of my game is sort of like an intro movie with characters moving, automatic conversations, NPC coming on/off stage ect. I think this contest would give me more incentive to dig deeper into what I can do with the engine whether it requires scripting or not.
No idea if I'll actually stay interested long enough to get either of them done, but... if it starts to look like less than five people are going to enter, I'll at least try to rush something out so there's a better chance that whoever makes something good can get some money. XD

I don't need the money and highly doubt I could beat out most of the people around here. But I definitely, pretty, 99.5% sure I'll be entering.

Disclaimer: There's a slight chance I could lose interest before the project is completed...