The Tower by Voltire
67%
Weegee by Nathan Karr
33%

Total votes: 15

FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Finally got around to downloading and playing the other fangame contest entry. I've never heard of the game it's fangame-ing, so I have no idea how similar it is, but...

Why are the elements all Pokémon types? As far as I can tell the game has nothing to do with Pokémon, so this is kind of confusing. It's especially weird that some of the nonsense ones like Dragon (which has no business being its own separate type even in Pokémon) are in there.

Elemental weaknesses/resistances seem really weird. They started out with a bunch of random-seeming percentages even before I bought any equipment, and afterward I ended up being immune to Normal and Flying (again, why with the Pokémon types? Flying should be called Wind or something instead.) I don't recall ever running into an enemy that did 0 damage to me, though, so apparently even regular attacks don't count as "Normal-type." (Not sure if I still had the same equipment when I fought the moon boss that uses the "Normal type!" attack or not, so I wasn't able to check and see whether any attacks actually used all those random Pokémon elements or not.)

Being able to pick different paths was kind of neat, though I'm not sure why I randomly jumped all the way up to floor 21 right near the end. I know I didn't go through that many floors; did I find a path that skipped me up higher than normal or something?

Finally, having a spell titled "Normal" is just weird. What exactly does a "Normal" spell even do?
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Finally, having a spell titled "Normal" is just weird. What exactly does a "Normal" spell even do?
Oh, you know. Same thing as most other spells.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Mogri wrote:
FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Finally, having a spell titled "Normal" is just weird. What exactly does a "Normal" spell even do?
Oh, you know. Same thing as most other spells.
http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Voltire, why don't you just flat-out tell us what your game is a fan game of?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I think my enemy graphics were better than The Tower's. I mean, the indistinct green blotch is a troll. The Relaxer was a good design, I will admit, and Firido was definitely better animated than Weegee.

Another thing is the battles. In The Tower, I basically just bought a weapon and armor and my enemies could hardly touch me while I was killing them in one or two hits. No variety, really, even after finding the Normal spell.

In all honesty, I must say that I think I had the better game, but that it was taken less seriously as a game because it looked less conventional.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

No. Weegee had more variety, I'll admit. But neither game had interesting battles, yours were made worse by that they were buggy and annoying.

And if by "looked less conventional", you mean "based off of stupid stuff that nobody but you thinks is funny", then yeah. Nail on the head, bro.

Don't get me wrong, I love your games. They just aren't good.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Mogri wrote:But he diiiiiiid that.
[s]What are you talking about, I don't see any names, he just refers to the game as "this."[/s] It's "The Enchanted Cave" because I am incapable of detecting a green hyperlink on a green forum.
Now I kind of regret linking to random stuff all the time.
Last edited by Baconlabs on Wed May 04, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

i agree that there wasn't as much to the battles in The Tower as Weegee, but the bugginess and varying difficulty of Weegee reeeeally bring down the fun. The Tower might be a bit boring to play, but it's also not even close to being finished yet. there's still a lot of room for improvement and functionality.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Booo.........

boo...
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed May 04, 2011 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Voltire
Slime Knight

Post by Voltire »

Thanks for the good words, first of all.

@mjohnson: I didn't see that bug, but I'll fix it (it did not happen to me...)

Yeah, sorry it's short. I had to cut it short because I wanted to enter, but, you know, I procrastinated awhile.

@Spoonweaver: you can walk through the sides, if that's your issue.

@Baconlabs: Sorry for not choosing a very well know game, heh heh. And I actually read that book a year ago.

@Fnnrf: I am not good at thinking of element names, and they will all be used eventually. Expect more spells too.

I plan to get more done this weekend. Like fixing the lottery bug (wow, I completly missed that). And fixing some graphics and the title screen. I did include the read me right (just wanna make sure)?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I ran into a Relaxer that didn't disappear from the map after fighting it. I've stopped for now at floor 11.

Overall, I feel like you've missed the mark if you were going for a fangame. The Enchanted Cave is a game about conserving resources and managing a limited inventory. You try to avoid fights because they drain your health. Meanwhile, in The Tower, you gain experience very quickly, so you're best off fighting as many fights as you can survive. This is not necessarily a bad design decision, but it's one that you have to balance carefully.

Speaking of balancing things carefully, the lotto game gave some ridiculous payouts. Even if you fix the current bug, the lotto is still broken. You need to balance it mathematically so that the payout and the cost are roughly equal in the long run (whether you want it to favor the house or the player or neither is up to you). Currently, it gives out 1000 gold way too often.

The battles are slow and I never got any spells. Boo!

The graphics were actually quite good, aside from the troll.

I really want to like this game, but there are some significant issues holding me back. I hope you polish this one up and come back to it!
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Actually having looked into Enchanted Cave, and by reading your posts, Karr's game is a better "Fan" game, even if not actually a better game.

I forget, are we voting on which game was the best, or which one did a better job of being a fan game? In the latter's case, I'd say Weegee deserves some victory.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well, you're voting on which is best. But you're free to vote for which ever one you want. You're idea of best could be best fan game. Makes sense.

On that note, if you'd like to change your vote before the end of the voting period, simply pm me.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hachi
Retired Smash Champion
Location: drifting down a hairpin turn HOLY SHI- HE OVERTOOK THE RX-7!!

Post by Hachi »

I played both of the games on livestream, and you can catch the replay here.

My write-in vote is for "L'sol Nocturnal Tears ~No Ingles~" by SDHawk.

Confused? It was never actually released and is showcased 49:30 into that recording. (May want to turn down your sound.)

But I suppose I can't vote for it, so I'll just make do with the slime salad voting.