Text Box Choices

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Text Box Choices

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I have a section in my game with a series of text box choices. I've created these without using scripts. They work fine, but there doesn't appear to be any cursor that marks which option the player has selected. For instance, the box has a "yes" option and a "no" option and using the up or down arrows moves between them but there is no cursor or highlight to indicate which option is currently selected. I'm using custom menu colors, but every other menu has a highlight, so I can't imagine that's the problem.

Also, how can I move the text boxes' position on the screen. Right now the text box triggering the choice appears on row 19 so the choice box appears above the text box. How can I make the choice box appear on a lower row?

Thanks for the help!
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

what do you mean "highlight"? you mean like in battle, or on the equip screen?
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

mjohnson092088 wrote:what do you mean "highlight"? you mean like in battle, or on the equip screen?
Believe it or not, your question just gave me another idea to try. Since the choice text boxes don't use the same highlight colors as the ESC menu does, I switched a few colors around in the user interface colors and found that I had some duplicate colors that were stopping the highlights from showing up. It's kind of hard to explain, but thanks!

Now is there anyway to move that choice option box around on the screen?
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Believe it or not, your question just gave me another idea to try. Since the choice text boxes don't use the same highlight colors as the ESC menu does, I switched a few colors around in the user interface colors and found that I had some duplicate colors that were stopping the highlights from showing up. It's kind of hard to explain, but thanks!

Now is there anyway to move that choice option box around on the screen?
i kinda figured that's what was wrong. the "highlight" in the menu just makes the text flash two different colors, while the equip screen and battle command menu creates a colored box around the text. if you make both colors in the interface the same, well... you saw what happened.

as for the choice text boxes, i believe there is currently no way to reposition them, so you'll just have to position your text boxes around them.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

You can cheat somewhat by setting your box to autosize and moving it down to the bottom of the screen. The choice box will have no choice (meta) but to jump to the top of the screen. The distance between the choice box and the text box will also be undesirable, but at least the choice box will be on top.

It may also help to know that autoformatting the text box will shrink the borders down to the last line of text, but it won't move the choice box up with it, giving thin boxes a thick gap between text and choice. So, if you don't want giant gaps, you'll want to set the boxsize manually and keep readjusting every time you make a change to that box. Inconvenient, yes, but it's the only option right now.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:It may also help to know that autoformatting the text box will shrink the borders down to the last line of text, but it won't move the choice box up with it, giving thin boxes a thick gap between text and choice
Thanks for telling me this. This made all the difference in the world. It looks much neater now.