Dwarf Fortress Succession game

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Good stuff.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Is there anyone else interested in taking control or should I take up leadership again?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yea, I think you should take it. We've waited long enough.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I'm sorry to report that the 0.31.19 version is incompatible with the current game. Oh well. It was good while it lasted.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

damn! and i was getting interested in joining too! oh well.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

We could always start a new one.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

indeed.
But, what exactly was wrong with the old one?
0.31.19 version is incompatible with the current game.
How'd that happen?
Valigarmander
Slime Knight

Post by Valigarmander »

If you start a new one, I may be interested in playing.

I haven't tried out the newest version of DF yet, though.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Prologue
The history of Rovod Erith, The Arch of Laboring.

The calendar of Rovod Erith began with the coronation of Rakust Pageglens as the civilization's first king.

Its first war happened in 17. Ukasaslez, The Cremated War, was waged by goblin civilization The Chunky Nightmare. There was only one battle, won by the goblins. Rovod Erith surrendered after that battle, forcing the dwarves to agree to the goblins' trade demands which the war was waged over.

Peace lasted until 30, when again, The Chunky Nightmare was not pleased with the trade agreements with Rovod Erith, sparking Gomuxuzo, the Steamy Conflict. After many losses, again Rovod Erith surrendered to The Chunky Nightmare in the midspring of 31.

In 34, elves from The Anguished Season, not content to leave their dirty hippy noses out of Rovod Erith's business, declared war over the "mistreatment of animals". Despite being a bunch of nature-loving freaks, they won handily, also pillaging the dwarven cities of Clinchcoal and Granitebolts.

Wars with The Chunky Nightmare kept occuring over and over again, over trade agreements.

The latest wars involving Rovod Erith ended in 110, where it surrendered to both The Chunky Nightmare (ending the Conflict of Bandits) and The Anguished Season (ending the Conflict of Clubs).

In the winter of 125, in the reign of current queen Inod Geniusbronze, a group of seven dwarves left their homes in the frozen north to settle in the Peaceful Forest on The Land of Accidents.

Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Spring

Well, here we are. This is the site that we have named Diamondnails. There is still a little bit of snow, but it's melting fast. I immediately set Pheonix to work cutting down trees to construct beds.

We start digging out the main hallway and the trade area, along with the future hospital that - for now - will be our shared sleeping area until the sleeping areas are made.

As we construct the trade depot and the bridge, I start working up plans for the workshop floor, which would also contain the dining room and stairways to housing, offices, and justice areas.

I also make plans for a reservoir...
Basic bedrooms...
And "podrooms" for the nobles. I've decided to keep the hallway to the podroom stairs undug until we actually get nobles who need these rooms.

Summer's come, and still neither the workshop floor or the warehouse floor is completed. I make supplies for the to-be-built reservoir to pass the time.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Summer

Around mid-summer we got immigrants... seven of 'em. One's even brought a pet peacock. I set them to start hauling stuff around while we do real work.

Fall

Mafol fell down the (dry) well. She was almost at the brink of insanity when Valigarmander decided to mine her out of the reservoir area.

More migrants arrive.

Pheonix has become possessed... oh dear. She claims a Carpenter's Workshop and runs off to get wood. She mutters that she needs metal bars. I panic and order SOMEONE to smelt some of the tetrahedrite ore that's just laying around so she won't turn into a gibbering wreck. It's smelted just in time and the mysterious construction is begun.

Oh hell, the caravan came! I've been so busy panicking over everything else that I neglected to make stone gifts! I send James up to start trading what we have... which is mostly rough gems and mechanisms.

Pheonix finished her construction, Nonshutsarek, a pine casket.

Winter comes.

Here's what the Mountainhomes want from us:

A macaque has been causing trouble for us. The little blighter is running around the workshop floors, distracting everybody. I keep dropping my mechanisms whenever he comes by, and that's prolonging the completion of the reservoir. Despite that, it is finished, and will be operational by the time the spring melt comes.

It is the first day of the year 127 and I can control this place no longer.

Letter from Ichiro to the next Administrator:
This will be the burial place for the First Seven. As of the time I am writing this, I have commanded the walls and floors smoothed. I personally am constructing 2 statues and a stone door for each room.

If nobles come, mine this wall to begin construction on the noble podrooms.

Here is the office area where those needing offices will work. The office with the lever is mine; it controls the floodgates separating the river from the cistern. LEAVE IT ALONE.

The planned prison area will be reached through the office area. I have planned out six cells and a quite luxurious sheriff's office.

The economy bedrooms have all been carved out. All that's needed are doors and beds.

I wish you the best of luck,

Ichiro Athelsholid, Overseer (Retired)

((Here is the fortress: http://rapidshare.com/files/450197148/region1.zip))
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

((Oh shoot, I forgot to name a successor... Um, first post first serve, I guess?))
Valigarmander
Slime Knight

Post by Valigarmander »

Oh crumbs, I guess I'll do it.

I'll update tomorrow probably.
Valigarmander
Slime Knight

Spring, 127

Post by Valigarmander »

1st Granite, 127

The new year began just like the last one. I woke up after a night of sleeping on a solid stone floor, my beard matted with bits of stone, plump helmets and vomit, and my rock-rash making it painful to sit. I scratched belly, stood up, grabbed my bronze pick, and headed off to work. Yep, just like last year.

Oh, except this year I'm the administrator of the fortress. I should probably get started on that.

The first thing I've noticed is that there are stones EVERYWHERE.

By Usen Helmheal, you can't swing a dead cat around without knocking over a pile of claystone. I guess the last guy wasn't such a neat-freak. I'll try to get this place cleaned up a little.

The main way I'll go about this is by having rock crafts made. Not only will it decrease the amount of stone we have lying around, it'll also provide us with useless trinkets to trade with. Humans seem to love them for some reason. I'm having a second craftsdwarf's shop constructed to speed things up.

I've noticed a couple of dwarves slacking off, including the chief medical dwarf, James Paige. There aren't many injured dwarves around that I can see, so I'm giving him a few chores so he doesn't get too comfy with slacking off.

Finally, there's this area on top of the fortress, where the farm plot and refuse pile are. I've lived through enough goblin ambushes to know that having more than one entrance to the fortress is a bad idea. It's good to have the farming area and refuse pile out in the open air, though, so all I'm going to do is have this area walled off to prevent outside access.

That's all I have planned for now. Phew, we've got some work to do.

4th Granite, 127

By my beard, there seems to have been a bit of a design flaw in creating the water resevoir. It's is designed so that water drains from the river into a resevoir that sits underneath a well... unfortunately, the river is one level above the well, so the pressure would force the water up from the well and flood the entire floor.

Luckily, I had my dwarves seal off the resevoir just as the river had begun to thaw. We'll have to wait until next winter for the river to freeze again before we can safely unseal the area. It seems that construction had begun on some floodgates to control the water flow, but they weren't linked to any levers and therefore couldn't be used. Again, we'll need to wait for the river to freeze before we can resume that project.

17th Slate, 127

Some migrants arrived today. Always good to have more dirty, sweaty hands to do work. There were 18 migrants, among them two doctors.

They also brought some livestock along with them, but since we don't really have any need for them right now (nor areas for them to graze), I'm sending them all to the slaughter.

20th Slate, 127

That lever in the other guy's office... I wonder...

Well, how do you like that? I guess the floodgates were linked after all. That solves our resevoir problem. If I'm careful, I can chip away at that barrier I had built and let the resevoir fill.

23rd Slate, 127

Well, it seems one of the new doctors has been taken by a fey mood. He lurched over to one of the craftsdwarf's shops and has holed up in it, babbling about "body parts". I hope nothing bad comes of this.

6th Felsite, 127

I've started converting the dormitory at the front of the fortress into a barracks. Soon, I'll appoint a militia commander and draft some militiadwarves. We don't need anything big right now, but it's never a bad idea to be prepared.

11th Felsite, 127

The doctor finished his construction today. It's a cow bone harp. Good for him, I guess?

Anywho, I've appointed Pheonix to the position of militia commander and have drafted five other dwarves to serve in the militia. I've also made orders for equipment to be forged, though due to our meager metal supplies, there isn't much we can make. I plan on having the miners dig deeper in search for more valuable ore.

18th Felsite, 127

Some elves came by today, apparently having taken a break from all their fervent tree humping. I don't enjoy their company, but at least we have an opportunity to trade now.

Being elves, they don't have much that's useful, but at least we can get some booze and food out of them.
Valigarmander
Slime Knight

Summer, 127

Post by Valigarmander »

25th Hematite, 127

I've built a small room to the west of the barracks. The top lever controls the drawbridge nearby. The bottom lever... well, it doesn't do anything yet. I haven't decided. I also plan on laying traps in the front passage in case anything decides to sneak into our fortress.

Also, I'm having a general crypt dug out one level above the tomb of the founding seven. Hopefully, we won't have to use it any time soon.

1st Malachite, 127

Even more migrants! Nine this time. Our population is up to 48 dwarves, it seems.

3rd Galena, 127

We've run out of wood, and it seems like nobody wants to chop down trees like I've asked them to. Perhaps we're short on axes?

In the meantime, I'm having a mine dug out to locate valuable ore for us to use. It's simple in design, and will reach deep into the earth. Precautions will be taken in case we break into an underground cavern.