Heart of the OHR Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'm uploading the bugfix release in a few minutes. Changes:

- The timer stops on all menus and text boxes now. Thanks to msw for this suggestion.
- Pig World now has music. This is embarrassing; I normally playtest with the sound off.
- The chests in Pig World behave correctly. Thanks to RMSephy for reporting this.
- The retry menu now closes correctly. Thanks to RMSephy for reporting this, too.
- Pig World's timer has been increased considerably and another chest has been added, containing an Opal. This is because I felt a little bad about the boss.
- But not that bad. The boss is unchanged.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71447

GUH
what is it, 7 AM already

Enjoy! I still don't have a good ending, but I'll work that out later when I'm worrying about combining all the chapters together, I suppose. It was a lot of fun working on this, and I look forward to participating next time. I'll also get to playing the rest of the entries later in the week.

BUT GOLLY AM I TIRED,
g'night folks
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

You guys have about 24 hours left to get your final bugfixes taken care of. Hope it's been going well.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Opened up DYWTBAH again this morning, and noticed something pretty terrible - sometimes cancelling your menu choice in battle doesn't work properly...? I can't isolate when this is the case, but occasionally the cancel button (I use ALT, never ESC) will act as a confirmation instead. I've only seen it happen while using spells (never attacks). Has anyone else seen this?
I am Srime
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Ah - that's entirely possible... I'll take a look at the spell menu code tonight.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

New version of Legendary Heroes is up. Just did a few tweaks and fixed a couple minor bugs.
This will most likely be the last update till HotOHR 2: The Reckoning.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

msw188 wrote:Opened up DYWTBAH again this morning, and noticed something pretty terrible - sometimes cancelling your menu choice in battle doesn't work properly...? I can't isolate when this is the case, but occasionally the cancel button (I use ALT, never ESC) will act as a confirmation instead. I've only seen it happen while using spells (never attacks). Has anyone else seen this?
Ok, I can verify a few things:
- It doesn't matter which key you use. Alt and Esc should do exactly the same thing.
- If this is happening with magic, it should also be happening with items.
- It shouldn't really be happening with magic OR items. I don't know what's going on.
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

Whoops... sorry guys, for some reason my inner calendar was a day off. I thought the due date was Friday somehow.

When I'm back on my own computer, I'll upload my fix. If that's too late, I don't mind being rated based on the merits of my initial upload. I didn't actually change much, just fixed some bugs and things, nothing particularly new. I'm going to upload the fixed version sometime tomorrow afternoon regardless, though.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71766

I hope I'm not too late... Enjoy.

Seeing as this is the *really real* deadline... I'd just like to thank Pepsi_Ranger for organizing this fantastic contest, and also to thank the other entrants for releasing so many cool games - it's been a blast!
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

The version of Motrya that is currently up is good to go for the end of the contest. I won't update the file until the 25% version, likely.
Last edited by JSH357 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Okay, contestants may continue to bugfix throughout the day if needed, but I am officially opening the votes now.

Remember, we will not be voting in the usual Top 10 rankings that we're used to doing in contests, but rather scoring each game on a scale from 1 - 10. Scores for each game will then be averaged by number of voters for that game.

For example, if Ignatious the Happy Walrus Who Sat Upon His Enemies and Smote Them earned scores from five voters at 3, 5, 6, 4, and 7 respectively, the average score would be 25 points / 5 voters or 5.0 points for the game. Conversely, if only three people vote, and those scores are 6, 4, and 7, then the average score comes out to 17/3, or 5.6--a higher average than if it had five voters.

So, as you can see, the fewer votes a game receives, the higher its grade point average may be, and the more likely it could climb the ranks, so it pays to vote, for the game that only gets one vote, a 10, can easily win the contest. Do you want that single vote to sway the results? No. So do your part and vote. You don't have to vote for every game, but for every game you don't vote on, the more likely you'll inadvertently send it to the top. And something tells me that Ignatious the Happy Walrus should not outrank the gems that made this contest, so be sure to vote.

Once again, the list of entries are here at the Heart of the OHR wiki:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... of_the_OHR

Because the two late games were late due to computer failure, I am waiving the point deductions, so all entries will receive fair scoring.

Games should be based on what's uploaded as of today, not necessarily on what you tested two weeks ago. However, if you've already played through the first submissions and don't plan to play the bugfixes, then at least let the authors know that your score reflects the November 30th / December 1st version, and not the one that's eligible for vote.

New games to the OHR include:

Apophenia Demo by guo

Chronoboy Adventures by Chronoboy

Eternity Fragment Prelude by NayusDante

Hero by ncw64

Legendary Heroes by Spoonweaver

Motrya by JSH357

Skyfall by Mystic

Viridia Chapter 2 by Baconlabs

Old games resurfacing with new content include:

Do You Want To Be a Hero? by Mogri

New Content: Chapter 8 (Additional information found in game's readme)

Okédoké! La Leyenda Mexicana by FnrrfYgmSchnish

New Content: (reposted from the wiki) "The most recent major update to the game was released on November 30th, 2010 as part of the Heart of the OHR contest. It added a few minor things throughout the earlier chapters of the game (including jumpable ledges (like those used in Puckamon) in Chapter 1, new random encounters in several chapters, and a secret area and minor changes to Chapter 5's prison area) as well as being the first public release to include Chapter 4's secret area and a small portion of Chapter 6."

Tales of the New World 2 by msw188

New Content: Everything after first boss.

Vikings of Midgard by FenrirLunaris

New Content: (according to Fen's posting a few replies down)
"Enemies, Spells, and Rewards rebalanced.
Ground terrain slightly improved around corners (most areas)
Delvire shows up in a few more scenes, and has his "final" fight at the arena.
Dr Mu's spaceship, and fight vs the musclemen
Olaf's final questchain complete, Managarm fight fixed.
Night's reacuisition quest fixed, more battle prologue added.
Fight against Midgardsorm now has an actual cinematic before it.
Party has to perform a number of tasks to leave Thule before continuing.
Start of the in-game encyclopedia (only three sections so far,updates as you go).
Most of the overworld changes halfway through the game."

Remember, guys, if you submitted a previously released game with new content, we need to know what the new content is. Voters are supposed to consider the new stuff, not vote entirely for the old.

Voters, remember, old games are to be voted on new content. Please play through the new content. Please don't vote exclusively on old content (though you are welcome to use old content to decide whether you like the new content).

That should be everything. I'll modify this post as I receive new information.

You may post your votes in this thread, the Castle Paradox thread, or through PMs. Be aware that by posting your votes publicly, authors (and lurkers) can learn what they did right and what they didn't. But if you really want to keep it a secret, you may PM your votes.

Voting deadline ends December 31st. Results should be given to HamsterSpeak for the January issue with much fanfare.

EDIT: I won't actually close the voting until I have a minimum of 10 votes. I want all contestants to have a fair playthrough and comment/critique/score for their games. So, it's December 31st only if I have the minimum number of votes met.

You can vote in this thread.

Good luck. And please start voting.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

There's also a good bit of feature/bugfix goodness in the new DYWTBAH release. Judges can find the relevant info in the included readme file.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I will try to play through at least one of these a day (focusing on the longer ones on the weekend) and I will post comments in this thread. I've decided not to publish my scores, though. I plan to record audio commentary, but I won't edit any of it. I'll just post the raw footage for the creators. I doubt anyone else will be interested in hearing it.

Good luck, everyone!
Last edited by JSH357 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Audio #1 - Chronoboy Adventures

Started off on this one, and even in the latest stable OHR I cannot get very far because of bugs. Sorry about the limited commentary, Chronoboy.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I'm pretty sure it's in the readme and on the game's download page, but I'll say it here to be sure:
In Tales 2, everything that can occur after the defeat of the first boss (including the immediate storyline progress) is new. Stats have been rebalanced and bugs have been fixed as well, but we've agreed that that doesn't really count as new content.

Also, I have continued onto the 2nd entry (going backwards on the wiki page), which is the other Hero game. I have played for about an hour and have just defeated the last boss. Here are some hasty notes, with more complete ones at the end:
-Broken wallmap entering Sarul
-Text shouldn't wrap interrupting words. ESPECIALLY when names are involved (I thought Leonar was a name and he was 'do'-ing something, and couldn't figure out what the text box meant)
-Drawers and bookcases NPCs face player in first castle, and in Alduane; this is bad
-Has anyone told me where to look for Sky, or why?
-Is there anything in any drawers anywhere? I'm glad that I can interact with them, but it's getting a bit tiresome when none of them have anything in them at all
-Is the bridge east of Alduane supposed to fix itself randomly? Doesn't seem like it, because the next town makes no sense at this point in the story; seems that the east-side exit from Alduane fixes the bridge all the time? This seems like a bug, or just the worst storytelling ever
-Forest entrance is virtually invisible. Need to make it more noticable.
-Is Antdot REALLY supposed to cost 10 MP!!!!?
-Used Exiter to get out of Origri cave, and Brian immediately started talking - this was confusing
-Lots of people still talk about Brian as if he isn't there
-Impair is a little weak, taking away only 6 def at a time isn't really enough to be worthwhile
-Battles are fairly well balanced; I didn't die at all, but came close on what I'm guessing is the first boss (the Troll), where my new character died. Rewards seem okay as well; I could afford enough stuff to survive, but not all of the best equipment. No grinding necessary so far, although I did explore while searching for Sky
-Story might be okay, hard to tell just yet, but figuring out what to do is a pain. If you're going to have repeat-NPCs in towns, have the ones that give relevant info (like where towns are located) be the repeaters. Also, it would be very helpful if the characters who tell you what to do remind you of it when you talk to them afterwards.
I am Srime