Likelihood of Enemy Attacks

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Likelihood of Enemy Attacks

Post by Willy Elektrix »

If an enemy has two attacks (Att1 and Att2 for purpose of this discussion), what is the likelihood that it will do one versus another?

Through observation, I've noticed that if Att1 is listed above Att2 on the enemy attack list, it seems to trigger more frequently. Is this actually true? If so by what percentage is it more likely?

If this is not true then all enemy attacks are equally likely to be triggered? So if I had Att1 through Att10, each would have a 1 in 10 chance of firing each turn?

Anyone know?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I always thought it was random, but it'll be really enlightening to know if that isn't the case.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'm pretty sure it's random, but you can put the same attack in two slots to make it more likely.

Monsters will only pick out of one bank of spells. I think the priority is Weak > Alone > Normal, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Chances are indeed random.

See <a href="http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... ents">plan for enemy ai impovements</a>
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Mogri wrote:I'm pretty sure it's random, but you can put the same attack in two slots to make it more likely.
This is what I've been doing. As "crude" as the AI is (according the Wiki), there is still a substantial amount of flexibility in it - more than most games seem to use.

But I swear that it seems like the first attack on the list is triggered is more often. There's a term for this type of incorrect observational phenomenon, I wish I could remember what it was.

Thanks in any case!
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Willy Elektrix wrote:There's a term for this type of incorrect observational phenomenon, I wish I could remember what it was.
Confirmation bias, I think
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

It's probably just the RNG rolling undesired patterns when selecting attacks.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb