Elements of Creation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Elements of Creation

Post by Mogri »

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=70164

Based off a certain Android app my wife likes. I currently have something like 140 elements, with more coming.

Consider this... an open beta of sorts. I'd wanted to do a little more work on this before a real launch, but I at least got the interface finished. At this point, I'm looking for combination suggestions and bug reports.

The game is 99% Javascript and should work on your mobile device of choice.

A cookie to the first person to PM me a code with the Prince of Persia :) (or a better prize if I think of one)
Last edited by Mogri on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

So uhh...

What am I supposed to do here?

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

There is an "Instructions" button :)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: Elements of Creation

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Twice I have had things show up in my elements list eben though i never created them by combining anything. I got "Drunkard" and "Mortar" that way.

Does it record failed combination attempts to inspire you to add new ones based on what people try most often?
Mogri wrote:The game is 99% Javascript and should work on your mobile device of choice.
No way to drag on the dang old iPhone, so it is unplayable there :(
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

James Paige wrote:Twice I have had things show up in my elements list eben though i never created them by combining anything. I got "Drunkard" and "Mortar" that way.
That is definitely a bug
(edit) do you have repro steps for that?
No way to drag on the dang old iPhone, so it is unplayable there :(
Shoot, forgot about that. I'll have to add clicky support.
Last edited by Mogri on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

I had to look on wikipedia to see what amethysts had to do with drunkenness. I learned something today~
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mogri wrote: That is definitely a bug
(edit) do you have repro steps for that?
I didn't notice it had happened until some point after it happened, so no... but I strongly suspect it is related to the restore-from-code support.

I tried copying my code into the clipboard and pasting it in a little while later, and I suddenly somehow gained "Super Mushroom". I wasn't paying close enough attention to know if it was added or if it replaced something I had already

EDIT: after brute-forcing for way longer than is sane, I got up to 54 elements. The I saved and loaded and it cut me down to 32 elements (several of which I had not learned). Then I re-learn a few things I had lost, and saved and loaded again. Again, it cut me down to 32, and added another that I had not learned. I messed around a little more, re learning one more thing, saved and reloaded, and I was cut down to knowing 8 elements
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

James Paige wrote:I didn't notice it had happened until some point after it happened, so no... but I strongly suspect it is related to the restore-from-code support.
That makes the most sense of anything. Save codes are a serious thorn in my side :O
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Been playing this at work a bit during downtimes, and I think I'm getting my friends hooked on it. So, this is definitely worth continuing.

Having said that, I've noticed that elements that appear in the queue after the 50th creation are no longer selectable. This is a problem since I have no idea how I made a pig, and would probably like to use it again sometime.

Also, suggestions for improvement would include more logical combinations, like fish and beach should make something (pier, maybe?), oven and any animal could make some kind of dish, humans should be more interactive with"products" such as alcohol, food, and so on. Seems strange that so many logical combinations don't actually create anything yet, especially when we can create mythical creatures like treants and golems.

I was happy to see that making a hurricane finally works. I recall having used the combination for it when you first posted about this game, but nothing happened then. Are you still working on it? It's quite entertaining.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I haven't touched it recently. I'm not even sure I updated it at all since my initial post, so I'm surprised that you got a new combination to work.

Do you mean that "pig" doesn't show up in the list at all or that it doesn't do anything once you select it?

If you have alchemy suggestions, feel free to PM them to me. I can't guarantee I'll use them all, but it can't hurt, either. I will say that I prefer the combinations to be some sort of product of the components rather than just something associated with them - for example, one iteration of this game has the formula "Coke + explosion = Mentos," which doesn't make sense, since it's actually the Coke and Mentos that cause an explosion. Beach + wood might make a pier, but offhand, beach + fish doesn't seem to combine into anything.

Also, human + alcohol does nothing, but human + a specific drink does.

New quote of the year:
Pepsi Ranger wrote:This is a problem since I have no idea how I made a pig, and would probably like to use it again sometime.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Did you ever fix the save/load bug? That was the main thing that stopped me from continuing.

Also:

beach + fish = <a href="http://images.google.com/images?q=runni ... n">running of the grunion</a>

Also, is there any reason why you couldn't have a link somewhere in the corner or something pointing to the wikipedia article for the currently selected card?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

James Paige wrote:Also, is there any reason why you couldn't have a link somewhere in the corner or something pointing to the wikipedia article for the currently selected card?
This is an excellent idea.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Do you mean that "pig" doesn't show up in the list at all or that it doesn't do anything once you select it?
You can't select it. I just played a new game a few minutes ago, and I can confirm that after something around 50-52 items, the new creations cannot be selected. They do show up, though.
If you have alchemy suggestions, feel free to PM them to me. I can't guarantee I'll use them all, but it can't hurt, either. I will say that I prefer the combinations to be some sort of product of the components rather than just something associated with them - for example, one iteration of this game has the formula "Coke + explosion = Mentos," which doesn't make sense, since it's actually the Coke and Mentos that cause an explosion. Beach + wood might make a pier, but offhand, beach + fish doesn't seem to combine into anything.
Yeah, it occurred to me when I was driving home that wood and beach would've been better as a pier (and wood and lake would make a dock). It was other "layered" combinations like making wood that made me realize how much of a building block game this is, and that fish and beach would not make an appropriate pier (but pier and fish would make a fishing pier, or seafood stand). When I made the other post, I think I just discovered how to make a zombie and all those barnyard animals. Wasn't really getting the structure yet.

I'd make more suggestions once I feel like the current combinations are exhausted.
Also, human + alcohol does nothing, but human + a specific drink does.
Yeah, I found that combination. I'm just saying that in general, products could lead to something: human and alcohol equals medicine, maybe? Hydrogen peroxide? Science? Doesn't all have to be obvious.
A cookie to the first person to PM me a code with the Prince of Persia (or a better prize if I think of one)
One of my save codes pulled him up, so I got to see him. But I haven't found the combination to making him yet. I did make the Dagger of Time, though.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
the drizzle
Red Slime

Post by the drizzle »

Dagger of Time + Prince = PoP. Don't have a save code for it since it seems to be buggy. I have 103 things discovered but my save code only gives me 27.
Last edited by the drizzle on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Nicely done.

I should really figure out what's up with the save codes.