Show off your graphics!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Similar poses (which aren't even exact) and pretty much nothing else a sprite edit does not make, and I know there are many that'll argue that sprite edits aren't immoral in the first place.

So what's the problem?
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
PastaDevil
Slime

Post by PastaDevil »

Got no problem with it. :)
James Paige wrote:it looks like you placed every pixel yourself.
Exactly what I did. I didn't take the sprites and edit them, I just used them as references to the poses I wanted my sprites to have. I appreciate the feedback, though. :D
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Oh no, I didn't mean that in a mean-spirited way.
The green guy, for example, I'm pretty impressed with. You took a pose from a classic sprite or two and kept going with it to make something fit in your game.

The only thing that concerns me is how they'll look compared to your other enemy sprites. If you can keep going with this style, great. If you end up falling back to your old style, that's OK too.
If you have some of each, it'll probably look weird.
Last edited by Baconlabs on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PastaDevil
Slime

Post by PastaDevil »

I'll update the rest of the enemy sprites as well. (Most of them were just placeholder sprites anyway.)
Last edited by PastaDevil on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I want to encourage anybody who is working on enemy sprites to record Youtube videos of themselves working on sprites. I think it would be a fantastic learning tool for people to be able to watch sprites emerging pixel-by-pixel.

it might also inspire us developers with ideas to improve the Sprite editor (which is due for a big behind-the-scenes rewrite pretty soon)
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

ImageImage
Two enemies. I feel like they're overshadowed by the ones above.
I made a video of the second guy, but that'll come later once I finish editing it.
Last edited by Feenicks on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

ideas to improve the Sprite editor
The ability to retain undo changes when returning to editing a sprite after leaving it momentarily.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Pheonix wrote:Two enemies. I feel like they're overshadowed by the ones above.
Overshadowed by the Pastadevil's ( :devil: ) sprites? You shouldn't feel this way, different people have different styles, different levels of "talent", and/or are at different stages of experience in spriting. Personally, I quite like what you've done. I've been spriting for about 10 years now and still find myself using walkabout edits for battle sprites.. 0.O;

If I could make a critical observation, it's that the black outlines on the second guy don't quite match the softer contrast of the first. Also, the left leg on guy #1 appears slightly out of "kilter" with the right leg. Other than that, all I can say is "bravo" and that they look very groovy :)
Voltire
Slime Knight

Post by Voltire »

Check it out! Hero graphics for Luneth from Final Fantasy III. That's right - I'm making a FFIII remake! All art will be done by me, and when it is done and distributed, I will redo maps and add a LOT of extra content (say hello, new dungeons!) I might put up a demo....
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

James Paige wrote:I want to encourage anybody who is working on enemy sprites to record Youtube videos of themselves working on sprites. I think it would be a fantastic learning tool for people to be able to watch sprites emerging pixel-by-pixel.

it might also inspire us developers with ideas to improve the Sprite editor (which is due for a big behind-the-scenes rewrite pretty soon)
This * 1000. I can't draw people at all, and it kind of crimps my game-making style to not be able to have characters. The OHR has NPC sprites and odd size, so it's really hard to find applicable tutorials.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

ImageImage
These two sand-folk sprites were considered too big compared to the Hero sprites, so they were shrunk and became slightly choppy in-game. These are the original versions.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Nice!

re: scale and choppiness... Lots of old snes games had hero sprites much smaller than the enemy sprites. I can see how it could ruin consistency, however, especially if you have maintained scale with all the other enemies.
Blacklight_Studios
Red Slime

Post by Blacklight_Studios »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:Image

Hurfadurf :hurr:

........ Does anyone have a MegaBuster/ Arm Cannon? lol, that's cool Fenrir.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.......... No.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Blacklight_Studios wrote:
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:Image
...... Does anyone have a MegaBuster/ Arm Cannon?
OH GOD I LOST
Last edited by Baconlabs on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blacklight_Studios
Red Slime

Post by Blacklight_Studios »

Lol.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.......... No.