Syzygy

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

1. Where you tell its pilots to go (Except into mountains, they will avoid those).
2. Highly trained but underpaid military personnel.
3. That is one of the funniest things I've read. Thank you.
Email contributions to the OHR Collab project to:

ohrcollab@gmail.com

All contributions will be recorded in the credits.
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Does the spaceship animate? :o

And those cliques were way too hilarious.
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

Sh4d0ws wrote:Does the spaceship animate?
Not at the moment, although it hopefully will in the future. That doesn't mean it's not going to fly, though:

By the way, Baconlabs, you've got me hooked on TV Tropes, thanks.

(No really, thank you; it's awesome).

ohrcollab@gmail.com

G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

Here are some walkabouts I've been working on.

They're finally getting closer to the quality I want, but I think they still need some improvement. Any suggestions?

ohrcollab@gmail.com

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I really dig the way that airship thing looks. Pretty classy.
Calehay
Red Slime

Post by Calehay »

These look really good. Everything I have to say is just nitpicking.

I would suggest using the lighter color that you did on the last one for the outline and shadow on all of them.

On the 5th one, the yellow part flips from side to side, which usually looks not so good when animated. Also, the side view doesn't really suggest what the front and back views do. You might consider adding a bit more of the grey part of her clothes to her upper body.

The 2nd one also has the same problems as the 5th.

The 3rd one's shirt blends just a little bit too much with the skin tone. I would play around with the colors on that one. Also, I'm not convinced of the shading on the shirt in the walking up views.

This is just an overall thing, but when looking at these, it's extremely obvious that they are all based off of a model. While I think having a model works well, don't be afraid to stray from the model so that everyone doesn't look so similar.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

G-Wreck wrote:Here are some walkabouts I've been working on.
They're finally getting closer to the quality I want, but I think they still need some improvement. Any suggestions?
They look great. The top concerns that you'll probably want to follow are:
-Are they your style? Can you continue with this style for every last walkabout sprite?
-Are you okay with your own style?
-Most importantly, are they easy to see when placed on the map?
Since they have black outlines, that last one probably won't be a problem, but if your maps and tiles are as bright or dull as the walkabout, things will look a bit strange.

In the grand scheme, I've found that walkabouts aren't terribly important. The level of detail on a character devolves like this:
>Portrait Graphics / Full-Scale Art
>Hero Graphics
>Walkabout Graphics
At the most basic level, all you really need to worry about is a character's general physique, attire, gender, and possibly their hair. And it looks like you've got all that covered, so I wouldn't bother going into any more detail.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

-Are they your style? Can you continue with this style for every last walkabout sprite?
The real question is: Are others okay with the style?
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Looks like a yes so far.
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

Calehay wrote:These look really good. Everything I have to say is just nitpicking.
By all means, go ahead. This is what I wanted.
Calehay wrote:On the 5th one, the yellow part flips from side to side, which usually looks not so good when animated
I got everything else you said, but this one kind of confused me. Are you saying that shades on her armor makes it look like she flips from side-to-side, or are you talking about how her shoulders bulge out when she takes a step (or something else I'm completely missing)?
Baconlabs wrote:-Are they your style? Can you continue with this style for every last walkabout sprite?
Ha, they're the style I've learned so far. Since I haven't been serious about pixel art until these last few months, odds are my style will change.
RedMaverickZero wrote:I really dig the way that airship thing looks. Pretty classy.
Thanks, it's my first (mostly) successful use of slices!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

ohrcollab@gmail.com

Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

I can't say for sure unti I've seen them in action, but they look like they'll animate quite poorly. The motions need more exageration and the colors might need more contrast, especially at the feet.

That aside, they look great.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Sh4d0ws wrote:I can't say for sure unti I've seen them in action, but they look like they'll animate quite poorly.
I just noticed that some of the characters have capes. And when they move from side to side, the capes don't move.

Characters with long hair have the same problem, I'd like to see it fixed. Hair and capes need to flow in the nonexistant breeze, it's just one of those rules of cool that you don't mess with.
my own dang self wrote:At the most basic level, all you really need to worry about is a character's general physique, attire, gender, and possibly their hair.
(In retrospect, I completely forgot that Walkabouts, y'know, walked. Animation is important!)
Last edited by Baconlabs on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Actually, It's really hard to get two-framed spritews to animate well. Without a sort of "Break", or, third frame, in between, the frames just look like they overlap eachother. If you cant get them to animate well, that's perfectly fine. I've yet to see an OHR game with truly excellent walkabout animation. (exempting, of course, the ones that use 3 frames or more.)