Heart of the OHR Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Post by Skullduggery Studios »

Oh yeah, this could be epic. Will give it a shot, even though I'm working on 4 other games right now...

IF I enter, can we have in-game video stuff? Like, being able to put a movie into your game without having to put it in frame by frame and plotscript it together?
TwirlySocrates
Red Slime

Post by TwirlySocrates »

Good grief! That's a high price!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

J_Taylor wrote:IF I enter, can we have in-game video stuff? Like, being able to put a movie into your game without having to put it in frame by frame and plotscript it together?
I think in-game video is a tad premature. You'd still be at 256 color. You'd also still be at 320x200 pixels. So, what you're basically asking for is animated .gif support.
...which might be pretty cool.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Spoonweaver wrote:
J_Taylor wrote:IF I enter, can we have in-game video stuff? Like, being able to put a movie into your game without having to put it in frame by frame and plotscript it together?
I think in-game video is a tad premature. You'd still be at 256 color. You'd also still be at 320x200 pixels.
This is reminding me an awful lot of the Sega CD disaster.
If that console taught us anything, it's that movie support was never necessary for a good video game, and often just ends up dragging down the overall quality.

But maybe I'm being presumptuous. What were you planning?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

No I will not be adding video support. However, you are free to request convenient multiple file import for backdrops.

You can use an external program to split a video file into a series of frames.
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Post by Skullduggery Studios »

You'd still be at 256 color. You'd also still be at 320x200 pixels. So, what you're basically asking for is animated .gif support.
Well, I meant at those specifications. Seriously, if someone puts their mind to it, even 16bit, 320x200 pixel animations can look good. And having .gifs in-game covers what I would be asking for.

However, you are free to request convenient multiple file import for backdrops.

You can use an external program to split a video file into a series of frames.
That covers what I would be asking for, too. I have, 3 or 4 programs that do that, but I'd be drawing the movie frame by frame, probably.
movie support was never necessary for a good video game
Well, of course not. But done right, it can greatly enhance a game.

But maybe I'm being presumptuous. What were you planning?
Depends on what you mean. If you mean 'what were you planning on asking for?', I think I just explained.
If you meant 'what are you planning on using it for?', then I'm not telling.
:kamina:
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

OH MAN, WHAT
Looks like Viridia's in the contest for real this time!
The last demo, which I sent to my playtesters and featured in a little trailer, covered 2 small chapters - this next demo, I want to get to chapter 5, which will have some of the more dramatic stories in the game. That's my goal for the contest.

I can't think of a specific bug I want to kill since I hardly ever check bugzilla, but one thing I'd love more than anything is plotscript multitasking. Does that count? If not, let me know and I'll pick something else.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Baconlabs wrote:I can't think of a specific bug I want to kill since I hardly ever check bugzilla, but one thing I'd love more than anything is plotscript multitasking. Does that count? If not, let me know and I'll pick something else.
That screenshot looks glorious!

Although there is a decent chance multitasking could be implemented before the contest ends, that is not one that I can promise personally, since TMC is in charge of the interpreter, and is already working on that.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

On second thought, I'm probably pulling out of this. I don't want to rush things for a contest. Great idea, though. If I find time to work on The Final Query on the side, I might release it.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Okay then, I'm going to take up one of msw's suggested bugs:
319 - attacks that can target bitsets, allowing elemental protection and things to occur mid-battle
Fenrir's suggestion of upping the maximum number of elements allowed was a close second.
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

Okay, I'm "officially" entering. I'm going to try to complete the game (not a demo/update type thing) by the deadline. I spent the past few weeks doing the "engine" basics, and now the rest should be content, which I can do in bursts when I feel inspiration and now have to worry about figuring out how to get it to work.

My request is plotscript commands for "get item life bonus" and related commands. As of right now, I'm checking the hero's stat, remembering their equipped item, then equipping the new item, comparing the stat difference, then putting their old item back on them. It feels like there should be an easier way.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Will this suffice for a logo?
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Looks really good Fen. I always kind of invisioned Mr. Triangle's organs and stuff all being jumbled at the bottom of his body. That's pretty funny though, haha. Looks epic.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Yeah, I just PM'ed Inferior Minion about the logo designs. I like the group shot better. But I'm thinking the single shot would be good for those who prefer simplicity.

And for the contestants reading this, I know I'm being vague about why this matters, and why I'd be talking to IM about it. But that's part of the surprise.

Nice work, Fen. I like them both.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

They're both nice, but my vote for an official logo would be for the solo Bob if it came to it.
I am Srime