Annual Introduce Yourself Thread 2010

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

AdrianX
Slime

Post by AdrianX »

..wow,it's been a while (like,a year or two).

I'm AdrianX. started using OHR since 2003. My first game was Crucial Destiny. after a while i got tired of it and created Crescent Dream, which hopefully some of you guys still remember.

After Crescent Dream i tried other game creation software (3d Gamestudio, GameMaker,etc) and got good at them somewhat. Using the skills i learned from all of the software mentioned I managed to get hired in an actual computer game development company in 2006. This company started small, but now we develop games for Disney, EA, and recently, Namco.

I started in the said company as a game designer. After 6 months i decided to transition to a pixel artist for mobile games, still the same company. After another 6 months i was taught to be a full pledged 2d digital artist (digital painting, texture artist,etc) and after a year or so (until now), i became the company's official User Interface and Special Effects Designer / Artist.

Aside from my day job i have my own team of capable game developers and we also take international projects on our own from time to time.

So there. I am proud to say that if it wasn't for OHR, i wouldn't be where i am now. :-)
Last edited by AdrianX on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
8bifit
Slime Knight
Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

Post by 8bifit »

8bifit wrote:At age ten, I was left at a Young Mans' Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Construction Engine in Chicopee, MA...
I am pissed that this word filter even has to exist...

Damn mutants.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

8bifit wrote:
8bifit wrote:At age ten, I was left at a Young Mans' Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Construction Engine in Chicopee, MA...
I am pissed that this word filter even has to exist...

Damn mutants.
:devil:
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

AdrianX wrote:A success in life thanks to the OHR
Bravo! Bravo!

Also, good to see you. Crescent Dream remains one of my favorite OHR games.
8bifit
Slime Knight

Post by 8bifit »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote::devil:
Don't get me wrong... I agree with the filter. It's just ridiculous that there is a need for it. :(
Eggie
Slime

Post by Eggie »

My name is Eggie.

I came across the OHR back around 2002, and although my desire to create actual RPGs has waned, I now advertise myself as a composer, a writer, and a playtester, and I believe that I am- if I put my mind to it- quite exceptional in those fields.

When it comes to composing, I don't really have any influences or role models. I usually just get inspired to compose when I hear music-- and usually said music is pop music. There's all sorts of songs I'd like to write, though- all sorts of atmospheres and styles. Although, currently I'm limited to midis.

When it comes to writing, I can't really list my influences. I guess that's because I continually teach myself new writing techniques from a myriad of sources, and there are several styles of writing- several stories- I want to try. I'm pretty confident in my writing abilities.

I don't really have any philosophies on how video games are made and what they should be. When it comes to criticism, I usually just follow my guy, which isn't the best method, but an effective one. If I were to make a game as the designer, it would probably either be a Japanese-styled RPG or a resource-gathering RTS.

Well... I guess that's good of an introduction as needed.

Hi, Lindsay.
Last edited by Eggie on Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Who's Lindsay?
8bifit
Slime Knight

Post by 8bifit »

Eggie wrote:I pretty confident in my writing abilities.
:(
Eggie
Slime

Post by Eggie »

8bifit wrote:
Eggie wrote:I pretty confident in my writing abilities.
:(
Oops, better fix that before anyone notices...
adventuregnome
Slime

Post by adventuregnome »

Hello, everyone! Every free moment I have I spend making games. It's been a lifelong passion of mine, and I'm hoping to find a good community with which to share my enthusiasm. I teach game programming fulltime at a private university, and I also own a small (and by small I mean tiny... miniscule, really) indie game studio. I don't actually play games all that often, but some of my all-time favorites are Psychonauts, Portal, Age of Empires II, Magic: The Gathering, and Munchkin. I program primarily in C++ and C#, and have experience using all sorts of game development tools - XNA Game Studio, Torque, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, etc. Anyhow, I look forward to getting to know all of you - this seems like a fun group! :)
CURRENT PROJECT: Vanessa Saint-Pierre Delacroix & Her Nightmare (PC, Xbox 360)
RECENT RELEASES: <a href="http://goo.gl/dXpD">Snail Shot Torpedo</a> (PC, Xbox 360), <a href="http://goo.gl/OLLd">Canada Hunt</a> (PC, Wii)
addes3
Slime

Post by addes3 »

Hi guys! I've been a member for about a month now, but I never saw this thread, so I'm posting now. I've been working with the OHRRPGCE for a little. I also use the RPG Toolkit for a few things.

Yeah, I'm boring.
<i>I am a non-professinal indie game creator</i>
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Post by Skullduggery Studios »

Yeah, I'm boring.
... :kamina:

Sorry. Just thought that was funny. Actually, you sound like me, but less obnoxious and talkative. :D
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

I want free slimebucks. Why not.

I'm Shadowiii. I don't make games anymore, but I do play OHR games from time to time, and lurk obnoxiously in the background.

I used to write tons of reviews for Castle Paradox, and I've been meaning to get back on that (except from Slime Salad), but I haven't yet. Maybe soon?

I made about a half-dozen games, planned and never started a half-dozen more, had my time in the limelight and now am just sinking into obscurity. But since nobody actually ever leaves the OHR community, it'll be a long sink into that quagmire.

I've been a member of the community for probably around...ten years? Has it really been that long? Holy crap. I've followed people/friends from here since then, and really gotten to enjoy and meet people I find both interesting and personable. It's gotten to the point where my life would be a lot emptier if I quit everything OHR cold turkey. It's a great community (even if you don't make games).

Something OHR has helped me with is realize how much I enjoy writing. For me, writing a novel is much easier (and far less time consuming) than creating a game. I've currently written four full-length novels and am working on getting published, and I have to thank the OHR for getting me into that.

I also have red hair, and am sexier than Luigi. That jerk.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Shadowiii wrote:I used to write tons of reviews for Castle Paradox, and I've been meaning to get back on that (except from Slime Salad), but I haven't yet. Maybe soon?
Do it for HamsterSpeak and then repost them on SS once the issue's out. Do it this month and you can win a prize!
NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

Hello everyone, I am NeoSpade. Up until now I have been frequenting Castle Paradox since 2008, the OHR is literally the first online community that I have joined, and to be frank, is the best I've been a part of, I've tried dabbling in other communities now and then, but the OHR is where I call home.

I've always been a game-o-holic since the age of 5 when I was handed down a Sega Mega-Drive (Genesis to most of you), I spent many many hours of my time hogging the black and white TV to play the games with, and became a wiz at Shinobi III (and damn that's hard when your 5 and using a TV that belonged to your Grandparents).

I got my first taste of JRPGs at the age of 7, the game was Final Fantasy 8, it blew my mind, and taught me how to read (seriously, I was terrible at it up to that point). JRPGs have remained my favourate type of game since then, and always will be.

In 2006 a friend of mine introduced me to the OHRRPGCE, at the time I had no internet (infact at the time I was also running Win2000) so I started to teach myself everything from scratch. But fortunately I already had RPGs planned, and now I had a way of making them, I was so happy!

These days I've not had much time to work on RPGs, however with a big 5 month break now, just on time for the big Heart of the OHR contest, I'll be applying my time fully to the community and game making!
Last edited by NeoSpade on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.