2010 OHR 8-Bit Contest!

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

2010 OHR 8-Bit Contest!

Post by Meatballsub »

Ok guys, I know it is sudden, but I had to do it. I just thought about an idea for a game that needs to be done, now. I could have stewed on it for a couple of months, brewing over the ideas and figuring out the design, but that wouldn't be fair. I want the playing field to be level, which is why the contest is officially a GO.

CONTEST SUMMARY:

The 2010 OHR 8-bit contest has officially begun! This contest will last from Saturday, February 6th (12AM EST) until Friday, March 5th (11:59 PM EST). That is four weeks, which should be plenty of time for anyone to participate if they would like to do so.

Entries MUST be submitted before Saturday, March 6th or they will not be considered for the voting period and eligible for prizes.

CONTEST RULES:

- Each contestant will be able to make their own custom 16-color master palette.

- You may use four max colors per map tile and portrait graphics

- You may use three max colors per walkabout, hero and enemy sprites, attacks and weapon graphics.

- You may use 16 max colors per battle/cutscene/title backdrop

- All of these colors must come from your single 16-color master palette. Failure to do so will likely get you disqualified.

- Any sound effects or music, in any format, are accepted.

- You may work alone or with partner(s)

- There are no specific themes that you must implement in your game. Feel free to make a standard RPG, sidescroller, or whatever works best for your game and ideas.

- Lighting fade-in/out scripts are acceptable

- Stacking sprites are acceptable as long as they don't go over the four color sprite limit

- Layers are acceptable but should not exceed the four color max per tile limit. In other words, you can have three layers but you still can only use four colors per tile total.

- The use of npcs as inanimate objects or decor to exceed the four color per tile limit is not acceptable. Don't do it.

Follow the above rules, and create anything you would like. There are no bonus themes this year. I want the playing field to be as level as possible for everyone.

VOTING:

Voting will begin on Monday, March 8th and end on Monday, March 29th. The entire community is welcome to vote during this time. The entries will be posted in a thread on Slime Salad and Castle Paradox. Once you have decided on your vote, you should send it VIA PM to Meatballsub on CP or SS, or you may email me at mballsub@gmail.com. DO NOT post your votes in the voting thread. It's not hard sending them to me, and it keeps the scores confidential. Ignore this and I will ignore your votes.

VOTING RULES:

- Vote for your three most favorite games. You number one will equal three points, two = two, and third will be for one point.

- You MAY NOT vote for your own game

- Votes MUST be submitted via PM on Castle Paradox or Slime Salad. You
may also mail your votes to me at mballsub@gmail.com.

The results will be posted in the March issue of Hamsterspeak (#36).

PRIZES:

1st Place - $50 via check or Paypal

2nd Place - $25 via check or Paypal

3rd Place - $5 + a massive, multi-game review of all of your games. I will write this up and submit it for the next Hamsterspeak magazine.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Good luck!

Moderators/admins, if you would be so kind as to Front Page this sucker, that would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Meatballsub on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

You got it.

I have come up with the best idea for the TGC, but now I need to come up with the best idea for this contest as well. Gears: turning.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I am going to make an absolutely epic game, so much so that it risks being banned from the contest for being too good.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

#36 will be the April HamsterSpeak, which is where the results will be listed.

I won't be able to participate, but I'd enjoy reviewing the games. If we end up with two separate sets of reviews I guess that works out fine, but you've been writing a lot of content lately and I've been writing very little.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

It's worked out that every update to Mr.Triangle's Maze has been able to be released for this contest. We should be done with this game by then, so I guess I can enter the final version. Effectively, it'll be levels 41-50+ since we started on those about when the contest was started this year.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Surlaw wrote:#36 will be the April HamsterSpeak, which is where the results will be listed.

I won't be able to participate, but I'd enjoy reviewing the games. If we end up with two separate sets of reviews I guess that works out fine, but you've been writing a lot of content lately and I've been writing very little.
Go for it man. I wasn't planning on reviewing all of the entries anyways unless someone needed me to do it.
It's worked out that every update to Mr.Triangle's Maze has been able to be released for this contest. We should be done with this game by then, so I guess I can enter the final version. Effectively, it'll be levels 41-50+ since we started on those about when the contest was started this year.
That works for me :o
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

So it doesn't have to be a new game? I guess the rules don't specify.

(edit) looking at the prizes again, you better hope I don't take 3rd
Last edited by Mogri on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Mogri wrote:So it doesn't have to be a new game? I guess the rules don't specify.

(edit) looking at the prizes again, you better hope I don't take 3rd
It can be an addition to another game. I've allowed RMZ to do such in the past, and it wouldn't be right for me to change that now. I did make specific note on what was changed with his game so folks would know what parts of the game to keep in mind for voting time. The game as a whole was asked to be ignored for the sake of voting.

Hey, I'd love to review all of your games. As said before, I will eventually review each and every OHRRPGCE game. You winning third place would just force me to take care of yours sooner than expected.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Holy crap, I just saw the 3rd prize thing since you mentioned it Moogs. I have like 25+ games out there, it'd take forever just to play them all. Although, sadly Mr.Triangle's Maze didn't place in anything last year since it was just an update. I don't expect anything this year either, but hell, regardless, it's a great time for an update.
Slime

Post by Guest »

Does the "transparent" color count towards the 16 colors?
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Does the "transparent" color count towards the 16 colors?
No sir it does not. 16 actual colors can make up your master palette.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

What about making multiple master palettes that are basically scramblings of the original?

I would think about updating Maces Wild for this contest, but the rules forbid my potted plants. But that's okay; almost every game idea I've had in the past half decade would fit.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I'm planning to do a project I've been thinking about for a while. It almost made the last 2 contests. Hopefully, things like a broken computer and lack of an attention span won't stop this game from seeing the light of day. What is this game you ask? Well here's a hint:

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

OHR Oregon Trail.

Awesome!
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

You spelled OHRgeon Trail wrong.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb