Vampires History

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Sorry :( In all fairness, phpBB 2 doesn't have the functionality to move posts between existing threads anyway.
Last edited by Mogri on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

Try setting the "Check costs when used as a weapon" bitset on the attack that's supposed to use up bullets.
It's rather frustrating when you miss something that obvious :D
Anyway, it works just fine now, thank you very much, FYS!
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

I've now exported my textboxes as well as all the other stuff you could export too, a decision I now regret.
Anyway, all the special characters have been replaced by \randomnumber, but it is rather easy to let Editor run over it and replace every bit of that by the actual character it is supposed to represent.
I was really impressed how swiftly and fine the export worked.
Aside from that I've created another enemy picture, my first big one.
I'm planning on chaining three weak enemies together, every one having nearly the same enemy picture, however each one with another weapon (One unarmed, one with a dagger and the third with a sabre).
I'll try to let the Google-translator run over the data (provided it hasn't got a character limitation) and see if the results are the least bit reasonable (which I doubt).

Later:
It actually is! Of course it sounds like the parody of an Eastern European Immigrant from the 15th century just having come to England, but...I can work with it.
Problem is that "Tag" is German for "Day" so it has been...erm...translated with every box.
Now I've got a question about that:
If I erased that tag-line from every textbox, would it cause any problems with importing?

Even later:
Right...there does seem to be a character limitation. This is weird. I'll try it again or split it and let the translator run over the text in bits. Or something else, I'll come up with something.

Very late:
All right, it works splendidly now and it really fascinating to read the badly translated parts and even more fascinating to read the perfectly translated ones. I'll start to go over it and who knows, perhaps later this week I might upload a (rough) English version.
Last edited by Umbrella on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Problem is that "Tag" is German for "Day" so it has been...erm...translated with every box.
Ah, I had completely forgotten about that.

Needless to say, that just gave me my biggest laugh of the tag...er, day. Sorry to laugh at your misfortune.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

I'm happy that I could cheer you up ;)
Also it wasn't much of a problem since Editor has got that very useful replacing-tool. If I release an English version and you read that someone says Good Tag, then I missed to retranslate that bit, but that's it. :D
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Umbrella wrote: If I erased that tag-line from every textbox, would it cause any problems with importing?
I see you already worked around this, but I wanted to mention that any textbox data which is missing from the import file will make no changes to the textboxes, so it is indeed safe to delete Tag: lines from the file without affecting the tag conditions already set up in the game.
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

Hm, well, the Tag lines I've been referring to actually indicate which textbox is following next, as in if Tag 1 etc.
I suppose reimporting the textboxes even with erased Tag-lines only replaces the text in the boxes?
Anyway, there might be problems with the character limitations of the boxes. As I've counted (in a very unprofessional way) there are 8 lines with 39 characters to write for every box.
Since the automatic translation either shortened or lenghtened the sentences, sometimes there is a lot of space left unused (which is annoying) or the character limitation exceeded (which is fatal).
Does anything lethal happen if I reimport textboxes which exceed the character-limitaion per line or can I correct something like that in the textbox editor? Without setting my harddrive in flames?

Edit:
By the way, in Germany you often say that you "wish someone a good evening", as in "I wish you a good evening". Now in English that sounds very awkward to me and I've never read that in a book. People seem to use the phrase "A good evening to you" or "have a pleasent evening" if they feel like forming an entire sentence, but they never seem to wish anyone a good evening. Maybe I'm losing my mind, but it really bothers me to read that and for now I replaced it with something better-sounding every time. Is it possible to say "I wish you a good evening"?
Last edited by Umbrella on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calehay
Red Slime

Post by Calehay »

Umbrella wrote:Edit:
By the way, in Germany you often say that you "wish someone a good evening", as in "I wish you a good evening". Now in English that sounds very awkward to me and I've never read that in a book. People seem to use the phrase "A good evening to you" or "have a pleasent evening" if they feel like forming an entire sentence, but they never seem to wish anyone a good evening. Maybe I'm losing my mind, but it really bothers me to read that and for now I replaced it with something better-sounding every time. Is it possible to say "I wish you a good evening"?
Is this as a greeting or a farewell? If it's a farewell, "I wish you a good evening," would work (but sound somewhat old fashioned.) "Have a good/pleasant evening" would work better as a farewell, but not as a greeting. As a greeting, it would be more common to simply hear "Good morning/afternoon/evening"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Umbrella wrote:Hm, well, the Tag lines I've been referring to actually indicate which textbox is following next, as in if Tag 1 etc.
I suppose reimporting the textboxes even with erased Tag-lines only replaces the text in the boxes?
Correct.
Umbrella wrote:Anyway, there might be problems with the character limitations of the boxes. As I've counted (in a very unprofessional way) there are 8 lines with 39 characters to write for every box.
Since the automatic translation either shortened or lenghtened the sentences, sometimes there is a lot of space left unused (which is annoying) or the character limitation exceeded (which is fatal).
Does anything lethal happen if I reimport textboxes which exceed the character-limitaion per line or can I correct something like that in the textbox editor? Without setting my harddrive in flames?
If the character limitation per line is exceeded, the lines will be cut short, but the import will succeed, and it will tell you how many lines were too long.

If the limit of 8 lines is exceeded, for example, if you add a ninth line to a box, the import will fail, but no boxes will be damaged.
Umbrella wrote: Edit:
Personally, I usually say "Good evening" as a greeting, and "Good night" as a farewell. I rarely ever prefix it with "I wish you a" because that part is implied.
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

Well, thanks to both of you for assisting my translation, then.
If "I wish you" is simply old-fashioned it wouldn't matter considering the age in which my game takes place, but I'll take it out anyway, simply because a mere "Good evening", both as farewell and as a greeting, is shorter. And sounds righter.

I didn't know that shortening a line was possible! I guess it isn't possible anyway, except you import a textbox with too long lines? Or does "cut short" mean erasing letters?
In any case, thank you for clearing the mechanincs of that new (and amazing!) feature up. And I'm thinking of leaving single words untranslated for fun. And I am lazy.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Umbrella wrote:I didn't know that shortening a line was possible! I guess it isn't possible anyway, except you import a textbox with too long lines? Or does "cut short" mean erasing letters?
Unfortunately, cutting a line short does erase letters. Here is an example box from my own game. The original box says:

Code: Select all

======================================
Box 22
--------------------------------------
Lord Broaste: Hahaha! I rule this
     castle now. Lord Hasim is
     locked up in the dungeon.
...and if I edit it so that the first line is too long:

Box 22
Lord Broaste: Hahaha! I rule this pitiful
     castle now. Lord Hasim is locked 
     up in the dungeon.
The letters "ful" from the end of "pitiful" will be deleted when I import. To prevent this from happening, I would have to manually adjust the lines like this:

Box 22
Lord Broaste: Hahaha! I rule this
     pitiful castle now. Lord Hasim is
     locked up in the dungeon.
We have some plans to support automatic re-wrapping of textboxes in some future version, but that feature will not be available in the next stable release.
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

I see. Well, it sounded like the size of the letters would be decreased until the line would fit in the textbox, but thinking about it that isn't that good an idea anyway ;)

I'm now leaving some words not translated, especially when you talk to a certain sot in an inn you will sometimes have big problems figuring out what he means to say. You'll see soon, what I mean. Hopefully.
Also, there are some literature references in there...just a few, though.
If I progress with the speed I do now, it won't take long anymore.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

We have some plans to support automatic re-wrapping of textboxes in some future version
Sweeeeeet.
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

I'm probably asking redundant questions, but I need to be absolutely sure about what you can erase from the text boxes without causing problems.
Is it correct that I can erase every information except the one line indicating the box-number, or including that line? I just want to be sure, you know.
Google messed up a lot and I don't want any errors.
Umbrella
Slime

Post by Umbrella »

All right people, I've got a good and a bad message for you.
The good one is, that I've finished the rough translation.
The bad one is, that importing constantly fails.
The reason is apparently, that the program sees two empty spaces in front of the header row, which do not exist.
I've tried anything already and even started deleting stuff (conditionals and such), but that might get annoying because I need to do that with every single one peu a peu which might lead to accidentally deleting a header or an entire box.
That's why I'm asking: Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Why could the program read two empty spaces in front of my perfectly normal header row?
I've checked the last row of the file already, but it was fine, and going through the entire file checking every single row does...not work.