Genesis Progress

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

it's recently come to my attention that there are different versions of game.exe and one must pair up the right version of game.exe with their game to ensure it plays properly. well, i uploaded the latest stable version of game.exe to play genesis here on slime salad when really i should have included the nightly version of game.exe. it's fixed now and uploaded, i tested it and it appears that the battle repeats and most all the bugs people were complaining about are fixed. stupid mistake on my part, i make the graphics only so i'm not exactly the best with the more technical aspects of making a game. sorry guys!
Last edited by Lucier on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:D!!!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I'm still getting battle repeats. How are they triggered?
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

really? that's so strange! i asked my brother and he said it's a really small script for battles, only like 7 lines and he's looked through it and hasn't found anything that could be wrong with it. i'll ask him for the scripts and i'll post them here to see if anyone else has any clue.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I finallt got some time to play again today, and I am having the problem with battle repeating too. The first battle with Robert and the two bats worked fine, but the next battle (after I got a the first tent) was in an endless loop.

I used the script debugger, and realized that the script is getting re-triggered before it can end.

I also noticed that the "permit double-triggering of scripts" bitset is turned on. This is the cause of the problem. I disabled it, and the problem was fixed.

I'm not sure why it was turned on, but it is very unlikely that you need it for anything. In fact, I can't think of a single use for that bitset (maybe TMC can think of one)
Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

thanks for looking into it and finding the problem! will fix it for the next release.
Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

i've been trying to make some screen recordings while i'm working on graphics but i keep having trouble with it. i'm using camstudio and i'm not sure why but the videos i make get saved and then evidently are corrupted when i try to reopen them. i guess maybe the recordings are just too long? idk really. if anyone knows what could be happening then let me know! but i guess in the meantime, here's what i've been doing lately:

i actually just made that bottom left bookshelf, too bad the video didn't work or i could show you guys how i made it!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I finally found time to finish the demo.

Turns out the battle repeats aren't that big of a problem as long as you can avoid the enemies on the map, since

there aren't any battles after Mt. Peppermint.

And I must admit I was surprised by how short it actually is. This can be finished in under two hours.

So, here are my overall comments (which I'll try to forget once I review the next version):

-Story is tightly woven. I didn't get a sense of pointless sidequests inundating the main story, which tells me this will get right to the point the more the story gets going.

-I still think the game will benefit from diagonal walking up and down stairs, and from flavor text in bookshelves, statues, etc.

-I'd like to see shopkeepers in all those fruit and fish stands in Midland. Fruit and fish could double as healing items (and their pits and fish skeletons could double as attack items).

-Midland is highly detailed, but under-storied. For all the work that went into creating it, you don't really give the player much time to enjoy it. I'd like to have enough optional sidequests to keep me grounded there for at least forty-five minutes to an hour's worth of game time. Personal preference, of course, but I think this is one of those cases where the story feels too tight / controlled.

-The owl jumping sequence was interesting. Though I didn't find that minigame particularly adrenaline-packed, I do like that you're giving us minigames to keep the game from getting stale. I also really like the battle tally system. It seems slightly pointless at the moment, since enemies stay dead, and areas become increasingly inaccessible once you clear them, thanks to all the cliffs we have to jump. But I do like the concept.

-The first cutscene with the gnome was funny, but the second was downright creepy. As funny as I found the creepiness, I think I was a bit jarred. Doesn't mean I'd change it, though. It reminds me what would happen to Zelda's Tingle if he lost his job as map salesman (if I remember his job well).

-You've given us a strong sense of balance between battles and shops. Every creature drops what it needs to and each dropped item can be sold for the prices we need to keep moving without the threat of a party wipeout. I can tell great care went into balance here.

-The errors I found were few. Besides the infamous repeat battle bug (which James already gave you the solution), you had Yuriko's bedroom window remain dark after the nighttime sequence in Fanell, a spelling error in the dialgue between Yuriko and the shifting creeper in Midland ("too" when it should've been "to"), and that's actually all that comes to mind at the moment.

Overall, I think it's clear that you care about this game, and I'm glad I got to try it out. I look forward to reviewing the next version.
Place Obligatory Signature Here