Gohrillas - Video Review & First Impression

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Gohrillas - Video Review & First Impression

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Mogri deserves kudos for this, the latest in a growing series of remakes of classic games in OHRRPGCE format.

Gohrillas is a clean and polished port of gorillas.bas to the OHRRPGCE. The game is simple to play but features some things not often seen on OHR games. It makes clever use of sprite slices, and features an impressive little random terrain generator.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yes, I injured myself playing this game. No, I won't sue for damages ;)

It has been a *long* time since I have played the original gorillas.bas, but if my memory serves me, this is a decent upgrade on it, both in terms of user-interface and graphics.

Does anybody else remember discovering gorillas.bas (along with nibbles.bas) in their Qbasic folder? If so, congratulations! You are approximately at least as old as me! (and Mogri too apparently ;)
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

Yeah, I remember Gorillas (and Nibbles), but I'm a few good years younger than either of you. I may have gotten online later than most, but my years before were spent mostly playing around on my dad's old green-tinted laptop, playing on Qbasic and utterly failing to make any kind of worthwhile program. Well, that or the ridiculous amount of times I'd recreated either of the Death Star battles in MSPaint (which was pretty much any time i sat at a Windows-capable PC until about '97-'98).

As for the game, I kind of miss the buildings, but I can see how that would be rougher to program a random generator for. The new GUI, while a lot easier to use, might kind of kill the trial & error spirit that Gorillas.bas was. Still, for a few hours work, that's really very cool.
Last edited by Uncommon on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Uncommon wrote:I kind of miss the buildings, but I can see how that would be rougher to program a random generator for.
That'd probably be easier, actually. Weren't all of the buildings the same width? I'll add that to the list of terrains to include if I ever update this.

The one thing I really wish I'd included is the sun that looks surprised when you hit it.