50%
Grindfest!
50%

Total votes: 6

msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

As usual I'm going to intrude with slight disagreements. My main issue is with:
But random battles aren't necessary for progress unless you make them inescapable, and if you do that you're on the right track to make a very annoying/frustrating game.
I should take care to mention that this was in response to the idea of making battles give no reward other than progress. In such a case the random battles might very well become quite an annoying barrier to exploration. But as long as we allow random battles to give some rewards of their own, they become a lot less annoying, even if they are just button-mashers.

The issue is one of balance, as always. In my mind, the correct balance would be something approximating the following (this is going to be the focus of a future article of mine for the Hamsterspeak magazine): random battles give small rewards. They are small enough to make level-grinding and money farming by walking in a circle a very slow, dull task. They are large enough to make exploring vaguely profitable apart from finding anything. To do this we need LARGE areas to explore. Dungeons intensify all of this by adding in the concept of completion. Random battles should be difficult enough that random exploration and wrong turns will lead to the need to retreat due to lack of supplies, but the player does not feel like the trek was wasted because the whole time he was exploring and mapping out the new dungeon, he was gaining small rewards from the random battles. Once the player has the correct path worked out, he or she can complete the dungeon.

As for the possibility of players mindlessly grinding to reach astronomical levels, ask yourself this question: Given the option to level-grind, would you? I said "option", not "requirement". As long as level-grinding is not required, why worry about taking away the option? Its harder to do, but we can try to balance stat gains so that short bursts of level-grinding are not very profitable to the player.

Yes, I enjoy the Dragon Quest series more than the Final Fantasy series.
I am Srime
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Random battles should be difficult enough that random exploration and wrong turns will lead to the need to retreat due to lack of supplies, but the player does not feel like the trek was wasted because the whole time he was exploring and mapping out the new dungeon, he was gaining small rewards from the random battles.
This. This is the kind of thing I'm aiming for (I wonder if msw read my previous posts).
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Yes we seem to have similar ideas for randoms, Kitty. I also wanted to state that after re-reading my post, I realize that I did not make it clear that I was only trying to show that my balancing scheme there is a viable option, not that it is necessarily better than a no-rewards scheme. They just need to be handled differently. I'm looking to discuss both in some detail in the article I mentioned (it is planned to be part 3/3 in a series starting with the upcoming issue).
I am Srime
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Good point, although I should try and implement some sort of balanced out running away anyway, in case it doesn't happen right away.