Review: The Slime Wars

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Review: The Slime Wars

Post by Meatballsub »

Remember back in the day when you would play an old NES game that was so unforgiving at times you'd want to throw your controller at the screen. The Slime Wars is the equivalent to that for the OHRRPGCE.

From the beginning, you can tell that Camdog put a good bit of effort into this piece. There is a very detailed and informative tutorial that you can choose to skip if needed (but buddy, count of needing it if you haven't played it before).

I don't mean to make it sound like a hard game to understand, because it is rather simple. You are a warrior who must defend a castle waves of different color slimes. You cannot move, instead, you stay stationery, and utilize five different "combat stances" color coordinated for each different slime in the land. As a slime advances toward you, select the appropriate stance and you will deal damage. Otherwise, the slime will deal damage to you.

Sounds simple, right? Well, after the first couple of levels, it seems impossible, even on easy. Sometimes you will have three or four slimes stacked on each other, making it impossible to pick the right stance. I can't imagine playing it on the medium or hard difficulties.

Regardless, Camdog has done a great job capturing the 8-bit feel with the game. It sounds great and looks great, and with being so unforgiving at times, it feels like I am playing one of those old NES games that made me fightin' mad. I definitely recommend checking this game out, even if it makes you want to pull your hair out at times.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
2.png
2.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
3.png
3.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 2058 times