8-bit Contest Voting

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Alot of these games look really great.

But to be honest, the main reason I wanted to update this game like I did, was to get James to update his review of my entry. Haha.

That, and Pepsi has been pushing me to get an update for this game since 2003 when the original was released. This game, even if it loses, is dedicated to the two of them.

I will submit my votes sometime this weekend if all goes well.
lost.pebble
Slime

Post by lost.pebble »

Looking at the votes that people have been giving so far (even though they weren't meant to be seen) I am beginning to wonder if people have even given STRANDED a play... Seriously, it's an amazing game and deserves to be there with the top games.

When I look at the download count of STRANDED compared to that of Don't Eat Soap, it also makes me wonder...

If this is a community that bases it's voting on loyalties and reverence, and not on the actual finished quality of a game, then I don't think I'll take the time to enter a competition here in the future...
Calehay
Red Slime

Post by Calehay »

lost.pebble wrote:If this is a community that bases it's voting on loyalties and reverence, and not on the actual finished quality of a game, then I don't think I'll take the time to enter a competition here in the future...
After two votes?
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

lost.pebble wrote:Looking at the votes that people have been giving so far (even though they weren't meant to be seen) I am beginning to wonder if people have even given STRANDED a play... Seriously, it's an amazing game and deserves to be there with the top games.
It is a good game, and the 4 star-rating on the game list confirms this.
lost.pebble wrote:When I look at the download count of STRANDED compared to that of Don't Eat Soap, it also makes me wonder...
As of now, the game has 12 downloads (which really isn't bad at all).
If this is a community that bases it's voting on loyalties and reverence, and not on the actual finished quality of a game, then I don't think I'll take the time to enter a competition here in the future...
If you're seeing a pattern, it may be due to the fact that people who have been here longer might now how to make a higher-scoring game?

And besides, just take a look at Spoonweaver.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

YES! Look at me! I'm amazing!
lost.pebble wrote: I am beginning to wonder if people have even given STRANDED a play... Seriously, it's an amazing game and deserves to be there with the top games.
It's a very pretty game. But gameplay value is pretty low. Basically all you do in the game is walk around and hit space bar. It's challenge rating literally equals 0. Also, it's pretty freakin short. It reminded me of an epic marathon contest entry more then anything else. In fact, it should have been entered in that. I'd of voted for it.

Overall, not an aweful game, but not an awesome game either.
When I look at the download count of STRANDED compared to that of Don't Eat Soap, it also makes me wonder...

Have you played don't eat soap? cause I'm guess you still think it's a joke game. But the joke is that it's not. I suggest playing games completely before judging.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

lost.pebble wrote:Looking at the votes that people have been giving so far (even though they weren't meant to be seen) I am beginning to wonder if people have even given STRANDED a play... Seriously, it's an amazing game and deserves to be there with the top games.

I wouldn't get too discouraged dude. Honestly, if you are entering a contest for the popularity aspect rather than having fun making a game, then you are entering for the wrong reasons.

Who cares what other people think? Last year when I made Mikey T, I never thought that it would be praised as much as it was. I made it because I thought it would be awesome in my eyes. The fact that others liked it was just a plus.

With that being said, that is the whole point of people voting. One can vote for what they like best, and you shouldn't give people or yourself a hard time because someone did not vote how you wanted them to.
lost.pebble
Slime

Post by lost.pebble »

Perhaps I over-reacted. But still, I just like credit due where credit is due. It's been a long time since I've seen something so well polished and profession come out on the OHR. Have you heard the sound effects? The first person battle system? The way the story and scenes come together? It really all works so well... I just couldn't see how people could overlook that.

And the reason I made the Don't Eat Soap reference is not because I think STRANDED is a better game. Don't Eat Soap is awesome, and is right up there with the best. I was just comparing the download counts, they came out on the same day - yet - Don't Eat Soap has 86 downloads compared to STRANDED's 12. I feel this has something to do with the fact that James made it. He is a legend, I'd expect as much, but an 8 to 1 ratio!?

But whatever. I didn't make STRANDED, I'm just a but dissapointed. It just seems obvious to me that it should be right up there with the best. But, perhaps I only saw the votes of two people who just overlooked the quality of it. (like they just overlooked the rules of voting :P)
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I honestly don't think Stranded is the better game yet, since it was the only the beginning and tutorial based, but if he continues to make it, then it is guaranteed to become better as more content is made.

This whole ordeal is also why I never vote in contests unless I enter the contest myself, as a way of not hurting under-represented games while still being honest about higher quality games.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Oncfession!

I advertised Don't Eat Soap with a link to the game for a single day. If any of the hits it received are from my linking, it'd be fun to know. (I'll probably do House Heroes the same justice)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Advertised where?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

(I'll probably do House Heroes the same justice)
OHR House 3 as well in this case. That show deserves just as much, if not more rep.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Newbie Newtype wrote:This whole ordeal is also why I never vote in contests unless I enter the contest myself, as a way of not hurting under-represented games while still being honest about higher quality games.
This right here doesn't make any sense.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Spoonweaver wrote:Advertised where?
The dark recesses of the internet where childhood fantasies are corrupted and perverted into twisted mockeries of their former selves.

4chan and FA.
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:Oncfession!

I advertised Don't Eat Soap with a link to the game for a single day. If any of the hits it received are from my linking, it'd be fun to know. (I'll probably do House Heroes the same justice)
55 hits from your link.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:4chan and FA.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've gone to one of those places on purpose, and the other one on accident. (Much more ashamed, however, to admit that I've been to their slime-child, fchan.)

Anyway, I've only played my own game, Light Fight, and Slime War so far, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that James will win.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!