OHRogue Micro Review

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

sorlok_reaves
Slime

OHRogue Micro Review

Post by sorlok_reaves »

Greetings all!
OHRogue is a a very small game, so I shall give it a very small review, ignoring the general convention of other reviews. So here we go:

About
Rogue for FreeBSD was one of the most notable games in the early days of Unix. It featured randomly generated dungeon maps, treasure chests, and monsters, and was notoriously difficult. OHRogue appears to be presenting itself as a spruced-up port.
The game consists of a starting room with a single NPC, and then a series of randomly-generated dungeon rooms, connected by staircases. Your avatar starts with little more than the clothes on his back and a small blade, but can find armaments and spell books in chests scattered throughout the dungeon's levels. No monster, unfortunately, although battle graphics suggest there will be some added. After four or five treasure-collecting levels, the demo ends (further maps are not properly generated.)

Bugs & Suggestions
Attached is the only bug I found; a chest was generated inside a wall. I would suggest to the developer to avoid putting chests on staircases, as the chest prevents you from stepping on the staircase until you pick it up. I would also recommend adding a whole bunch more items --part of the fun of the original rogue was making do with a few throwing knives one game, and a sword (but no potions) the next.

Thoughts & Comments
I got a fairly strong vibe of the original Rogue when playing through this game --I think the author's caught that well. And his hints of a "town" above the dungeon remind me (fondly) of Lufia II's Gift mode. I really think this game could go somewhere. Also, the lack of bugs bespeaks dedication & professionalism (although I'll admit I didn't look at the source code, so I don't know how far the randomness actually goes.) Overall, I give this game a hearty thumbs up and "good luck!"

Play this game; it's short, and it will get you excited about Roguelikes. I will not give it a numerical rating until more content has been added, to be fair.
Attachments
The only bug I found so far...
The only bug I found so far...
ohrogue_bug.png (45.14 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
(-> SR