5 Days a Stranger series

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Machu
Slime Knight

5 Days a Stranger series

Post by Machu »

We're in Halloween season, so I felt like bringing up what is honestly the creepiest game series I've ever played, and it's Indy, too! This series has 4 games, each is more messed up than the last. Let me make a scale for you:

5 Days a Stranger: Scary and Creepy
7 Days a Skeptic: Nerve-wracking and Gut-wrenching
Trilby's Notes: Mind-rape
6 Days a Sacrifice: Indescribable, like Cthulhu

The first two are more like Slasher thrillers and the last two are more like Cosmic-Horror mythos. And yes, it gets hard to follow later, but that can add to the creepiness.

It does suffer from some normal adventure game puzzlement of "I don't know what to do next" variety. But I beat it all: we can use this thread for help and hints!

Here's the official website with all of the games (and others I haven't tried):
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Before we get that far, I need to point out that this forum doesn't have Spoiler tags yet. It's a game discussion forum, I'm sure we'll use them a lot.
Last edited by Machu on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'll patch those in sometime. Bug me again if I haven't done it in a week.

I've heard of this series. I'll have to take a look sometime.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

It's enjoyable, but almost impossible to finish any of the games without a FAQ. I don't care much for the genre, but the games are fun. Zero Punctuation is great too.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I've played the first three, they're great. Some of my favorites.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

I would like to point out that it's Six Days a Sacrifice. Looks like you made a typo there.

As for the series itself, it is pretty creepy, and well written. Friend/Orchard-L mentioned it to me and it got me started off on playing.

6 Days a Sacrifice SPOILERS

Why did the old tortured Trilby find that the fake psychologist Dr. Somerset looked familiar to him?

Was the Trilby found at the end inside Chzo the real one?

How did Decabe having sex with Janine (or whatever her name was) cause such a horrible darkening into his timeline?
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

Oh, come to think of it, I have play 6days. Silly me.
Mazin
Slime Knight

Post by Mazin »

I just now beat the last game in the series so I'm reviving this thread to talk about it. :v:

I liked the control scheme in 5 Days a Stranger the best, and I hated the retarded controls in Trilby's Notes. Too often I was like one step away from an object I wanted to interact with so it told me I wasn't close enough. The 7/6 Days controls were a little odd at first but they're fine now that I'm used to them.

In one way 5 Days was my favorite: though I got frustrated a few times and wandered around trying to figure out what to do, I still did it all without using a walkthrough. In the three other games I needed a walkthrough at several points.

Until I played 6 Days I hated the ending of 7 Days, it just seemed random and stupid. But it happens for a reason in the end! Though in the end it's something way crazier than I ever expected.

When I got to the end of 6 Days I thought I was going to hate it too until the last few seconds, in which it became completely awesome.

Trilby's Notes was my least favorite cause I thought it was the most confusing, I never knew what to do. But it was also by far the scariest. And the scenes from the past were cool.
Machu
Slime Knight

Post by Machu »

We got spoiler tags, so I'll add to previous questions.

Only One In All asks:
Why did the old tortured Trilby find that the fake psychologist Dr. Somerset looked familiar to him?

Was the Trilby found at the end inside Chzo the real one?

To me, the answer to both of those questions was that the Trilby seen in Chzo was the last clone, the one that the man in red told to burn down the manor (and blowing the place up). I believe both Decabe and the last Trilby clone were pulled into the magic world at that point. On that note, I'd also like to point out that The New Prince has awesome design.

Now, in 5 Days, I do believe I got through mostly by myself, except for when you need to escape from the shed after they lock you in and at the very end. I figured out that you should ask the woman to wait by the ritual holding the gun, but didn't think about the other kid. You'd think she'd still get possessed. It'd be cool if he added scenes where you had one and not the other, where maybe The Welder will kill the possessed person and you unless both were there. I also find it weird how the game just makes you casually use voodoo books as if they were normal.

7 Days got me stuck a lot. Both "Chase scenes" really got me stuck. I still think the way to beat the zombie Captain is still kinda contrived. At some point, the doctor should have hinted "is there somewhere I can wait where he won't see me?". Maybe he should say this when you try talking to the doctor or the engineer. I pretty much knew what I was supposed to do against The Welder, but couldn't think of a good way to lure him outside. Who knew he'd just open the airlock and close it behind him?

In Trilby's Notes, I don't think I got stuck too much. I did have a hard time finding the "Porcelain Head". I really should have figured out myself where to find the old guy, and I knew I was supposed to find him eventually, I just really, really don't like exploring the evil hotel unless I felt I really had to. I probably would have been braver if I was told you won't get killed just walking around the evil side. I also eventually spoiled the ending sequence. How Zen. I think I actually tried the "final command", but I guess I just wasn't "tired enough" yet.

In 6 Days, for one, I didn't know how to deal with Trilby when you were supposed to. Though you were told "try to get him out of the hall altogether", I didn't think he'd follow me into one particularly weird room, since he doesn't follow you into other rooms. I also didn't know you can examine items in your inventory, which is required at one point.
Mazin
Slime Knight

Post by Mazin »

Totally agreed about the chase scenes in 7 Days, and trying to get Trilby out of the hall in 6 Days. Those parts were annoying.
I just really, really don't like exploring the evil hotel unless I felt I really had to.
Arg, yes, I felt the same way.

The worst part was when the pills suddenly stopped working. Oh, and how sometimes if you'd try to look around or do stuff it'd just say "it hurts." One time it did that to several times in a row and I was seriously freaked out.