Hedgemaze ver. 2.1 update

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Hedgemaze ver. 2.1 update

Post by Newbie Newtype »

http://slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=335

So far I am not completely satisfied with everything, but I have enough new content for people to try out and see what I am doing wrong, and where I should improve.

I have not accounted for different kinds of parties that may be chosen, but hopefully the weapon system will be useful.

EDIT: Version 2.1 released that changes several things based on Camdog's suggestions. I would like to thank Lord Shizuma, Camdog, and The Mad Cacti for help and advice on these matters.

EDIT: Also, there are a couple of original songs in the game, one most notably used for the lake area of the game. I did not make these songs, so I sincerely hope you people like that song. I'll try to get more original songs in the game.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

Really cool. I like the aesthetics and the gameplay is nice. Good balance. Level 1 kept me on my toes without being frustrating. The weapon abilities system is neat too, and it didn't take as long to get used to as I thought, though it might be nice to mention that you can examine equipment via the menu, because I spent the first 10 minutes or so doing a trial and error kind of thing with weapon equips.

A couple of things I noticed:

1. The cake is not consumed after use. Is this intentional? I thought it was (since this boon is somewhat countered by the item use limit) until I found another.

2. The item menu thing seemed a little finicky. After I would use an item, sometimes it would go inactive even though I still had some item uses left.

3. It might be a good idea to make some random battles unescapable. The game became easy after I realized leveling provided no benefit, and I therefore had no reason to fight.

4. Why does the tutorial quit the game? Just send me back to the title screen. Having to reload is annoying. Same goes for quitting in game. I don't want to reload the whole game every time I start from an old save.

5. The text for the steal attack disappears WAY too quickly.

Mostly, the game is really fun though. Good job!
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

though it might be nice to mention that you can examine equipment via the menu, because I spent the first 10 minutes or so doing a trial and error kind of thing with weapon equips.
Mentally noted. I'll find a way to add this to the tutorial.
1. The cake is not consumed after use. Is this intentional? I thought it was (since this boon is somewhat countered by the item use limit) until I found another.
No, it's not intentional. I will go fix that.
2. The item menu thing seemed a little finicky. After I would use an item, sometimes it would go inactive even though I still had some item uses left.
I know. I did this as a work around for an ill effect I noticed. I need to find a true fix (I'll probably have turn multiple scripts on. Hopefully that doesn't break anything.)
3. It might be a good idea to make some random battles unescapable. The game became easy after I realized leveling provided no benefit, and I therefore had no reason to fight.
I'll start working on a custom escape option.
4. Why does the tutorial quit the game? Just send me back to the title screen. Having to reload is annoying. Same goes for quitting in game. I don't want to reload the whole game every time I start from an old save.
Because I am skipping both the new game screen and load screen to have that custom title screen. It's very annoying, and I already tried talking to The Mad Cacti about it (I think I also made a Bugzilla report, but I'll double check on that one).

Thanks for finding the game fun (at least for Stage 1). I'm mostly worried about Stage 2, though.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed stage 2 as well. The notes in the ranger's hut gave me an opportunity to strategize a little bit, and I started using weapons on non-intuitive characters (ie the sword for my mage). That was just when I realized it was useless to level up.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Ah. Yeah. Leveling up isn't too important in hedgemaze. I'm based everything on what level you would be if you were to fight every battle without running (so the change isn't too significant).

Expect me to change one of the Adventurer's secondary skills to be a higher chance of running, because I know he has at least one useless skill somewhere.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Alright. Uploaded a new file that should help fix some of the major problems had. There are still minor things I keep forgetting to fix (Rockdude boss still has no walkabout, and the Stage Clear textbox doesn't have the restore music bitset on.)
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I want and am going to play this, but haven't had too much time to do so recently.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I have to say there is only one new 'stage' in the game, so you won't see much new content, but I've worked a lot on making stage 1 a lot less button-mashy like it was in the first version.