Music Tagging

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Music Tagging

Post by RMZ »

Hey, it's a long shot, but I know SOMEONE out there knows how to do this. Anyways, when you make a song, and you listen to it in Windows Media Player it shows you the band name, the song title, and you can even put a picture of the album in the corner.

My band is making our EP and it'd be cool if we could do all of this. If someone could tell me this soon, that'd be awesome! We're burning our cds tomorrow, so the sooner the better!
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

What program are you using to record? You could try messing with the properties of the actual file that is the song, but in my experience this is done by the CD duplication company. If you are doing it yourself, I'm pretty sure the answer is going to depend on what programs you are using for what.

PS: Congrats! I'm going to be making a similar announcement pretty soon.
I am Srime
chill-e
Red Slime

Post by chill-e »

For every media player, you'd need to change it manually. Unless your album is legally licensed, registered, and/or publicly released, then you can probably just right click the file and let the internet do it's job finding the information.

For media player:
if you have an image file for your album, put it in the same folder as that MP3, and if the file name matches the artist and/or the album, then it'll automatically associate the image with the file.

For iTunes:
Right click the song
Get Info>Artwork>Add
Then it'll automatically set it as the album artwork

For Samsung Media Studio
Right click song
Properties>Song Info
Then click under the blue square where it says "change"
(although, i highly doubt anyone has this)
Mazin
Slime Knight

Post by Mazin »

You can do this with Audacity, which is free and easy to find. Go into the "Project" menu and pick the option "Edit ID3 tags."

This won't give you any picture of the album though.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I think what he's talking about is when you put a CD in your computer and various players can pull the ID3 tags off the internet. MP3s store ID3 tags, but they don't carry over when you burn them to a CD. I'm not sure how that gets done, but I'd definitely like to.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

EDIT: I think the following is approximately how it works but I am not entirely sure

You need to get your CD's unique ID listed in whichever public CD database that Windows Media Player consults. I think this database is maintained by Microsoft, and I don't know if there is any way to get your stuff into it.

Apple has a similar database for Itunes. I think it is also difficult to get into.

You may have to go with freedb or MusicBrainz instead. Those don't (to the best of my knowledge) work for Windows Media Player, but they work for a lot of other players.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I don't know about right now, but didn't at least older versions of iTunes use freedb to retrieve ID3 tags?
Inferior Minion
Slime

Post by Inferior Minion »

James Paige wrote:You need to get your CD's unique ID listed in whichever public CD database that Windows Media Player consults. I think this database is maintained by Microsoft, and I don't know if there is any way to get your stuff into it.

Apple has a similar database for Itunes. I think it is also difficult to get into.

You may have to go with freedb or MusicBrainz instead. Those don't (to the best of my knowledge) work for Windows Media Player, but they work for a lot of other players.
I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, James. I know when I make compilation CDs via iTunes, the tracks are tagged using the ID3 tags such that my home stereo can tell me the name/artist combo for the currently playing track. I'm pretty sure at least some of the information can be embedded into the CD when burning without needing to register the CD to a CDDB of any sort.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

Well, in my experience, that's only held true for MP3 CDs. Regular audio CDs still retain their tags when I put them in the computer I burn them from, but never any other.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Inferior Minion wrote:I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, James. I know when I make compilation CDs via iTunes, the tracks are tagged using the ID3 tags such that my home stereo can tell me the name/artist combo for the currently playing track. I'm pretty sure at least some of the information can be embedded into the CD when burning without needing to register the CD to a CDDB of any sort.
I know there is some sort of CD Text standard that some CD burners can use to store track names. I did not know that iTunes used it, or that it was widely supported by modern CD players. That is cool.
Artimus Bena
Red Slime

Post by Artimus Bena »

Ok, let me put this to rest.

Easiest player to do this is in winamp. Just add the tracks into your playlist, right click them, and then click 'view file info'. You can edit the id3 tags there (just 'v1' is necessary). Id3 tags stay with the file itself, it has very little to do with the internet (although yes, programs like itunes probably use these tags to make the file search-able by varying criteria.
Last edited by Artimus Bena on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-John Hancock
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Artimus Bena wrote:Ok, let me put this to rest.

Easiest player to do this is in winamp. Just add the tracks into your playlist, right click them, and then click 'view file info'. You can edit the id3 tags there (just 'v1' is necessary). Id3 tags stay with the file itself, it has very little to do with the internet (although yes, programs like itunes probably use these tags to make the file search-able by varying criteria.
Sure, that is the easiest way to edit ID3 tags on MP3 files-- but the question (as I understood it) was about conventional audio CDs.