Game-related pixels thread/critique

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

lost.pebble
Slime

Post by lost.pebble »

I like the water. I wonder how it animates?
I used Photoshop to try and string an animation together:

Sorry, the window can be a bit distracting. I'll try removing it next time.

@momoka: Yes, I think, that tile you were making there is fundamentally wrong, although I actually quite dig the look of it :P hehe. Water is not so, umm, "formally" layed out, as you did with those lines. (although that can be a good way to start making water, if done properly) As Mogri said, it looks more like post-modern art or something, water is smooth, rounded, wild, and flowing (to throw out a few adjectives) - whereas some of your lines look rather stiff and "planned".

Otherwise, I think you were on the right track. Just try not to be too obsessive about staying around the design lines, it's another thing which makes it look too "formal". Believe it or not, my water started out with lines, but I built away from them - using them more as rough guides than solid outlines.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Ooh! I love the way the water waves against the shore! Very nice!
(+[]::)<GBA
Slime Knight

Post by (+[]::)<GBA »

James Paige wrote:Ooh! I love the way the water waves against the shore! Very nice!
yea, looks great man, is that 3 or 4 screens?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

@Momoka

I think you should go back to step 3 and redo how you connected your lines. It's just looks weird.

@lost.pebble

The scene looks great, but hows the rest looking?
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Okay, looking at from water tiles from Vikings of Midgard. Let's try again.

Step 1: Blue fill.
Step 2: Lines. This time I used a dark blue-gray, rather than a really bright blue. Already I like this more.

Step 3: Shadows of the waves. I lightened the base blue a bit, as well.

Step 4: Anti-alising the shadows. My result at this point is unusable (it won't tile properly), but I honestly consider it a vast improvement. It's a bit dark, but I think I made a decently large step in the right direction. There still feels like there's something missing, though.

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

well that looks great. Nice work.
lost.pebble
Slime

Post by lost.pebble »

yea, looks great man, is that 3 or 4 screens?
The water itself has an animation of 3 steps, while the waves crashing up against the rocks has a 4 step animation (wait ,right, wait, right, wait, left, wait) - to create the illusion of a rising and receding water level. Then I've gone and repeated an extra two tiles next to the others in the maptile editor (just for the straight water-meets-rock tile, there would be too many otherwise) - so that I can activate three different types of animations (using the same animation pattern - as you can only have two :( for each tileset) and create the illusion of waves running along the edge. I'm not sure if you caught that... but it made perfect sense in my head... :P

The scene looks great, but hows the rest looking?
The rest? Well... umm... yeah... Getting there...

@Momoka: That's a definite improvement. keep at it.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

lost.pebble wrote:...so that I can activate three different types of animations (using the same animation pattern - as you can only have two :( for each tileset)
This may or may not be helpful, but if you make your Layer-1 tiles different from your Layer-0 set, you can have two more animations from Layer-1 on your map.
&#9834;&#9834;&#9834; Du du duuuu &#9834;&#9834;&#9834;
lost.pebble
Slime

Post by lost.pebble »

This may or may not be helpful, but if you make your Layer-1 tiles different from your Layer-0 set, you can have two more animations from Layer-1 on your map.
That is very helpful, thanks. :) ... but, umm... I just need to figure out how the layer system works. lol, I haven't used the OHRRPGCE since the days when James was the only one working on it - I'm used to the "limited" edition. I haven't taken a proper look into the newer versions yet, but I'm loving all these new features I keep hearing about!
New-Gen
Red Slime

Post by New-Gen »

These are some promo screen shots of a game I'm working on.
Just wondering what you guys think. :)

I don't want to give away too much of the game just yet but the screen shots you see are of maps that are made up of three maptile sets and they are quite detailed.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

looking good. I like those post apocalyptic kind of games. And great graphics are always a plus. I just hope your game play can hold up to the caliber of your graphics. 'cause if so the game will be a real treat.
On that note, some of those menu options look fairly fun.

So yea, looks great, I can't wait to play it.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

That's all sorts of awesome.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

It would probably look better if it weren't in a poorly compressed jpeg.
Damn you, Photobucket! :(
&#9834;&#9834;&#9834; Du du duuuu &#9834;&#9834;&#9834;
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Twinconclusive wrote:It would probably look better if it weren't in a poorly compressed jpeg.
Damn you, Photobucket! :(
Use .png as your file format.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Those are quire possibly the best text box borders I have seen yet in any OHRRPGCE game

Hey, everybody. Anyone who wants to is welcome to <a href="http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wi ... shots">add screenshots to the wiki</a>, (preferably try to make them the same size as the ones already uploaded there)