Halloween Contest 2008

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Halloween Contest 2008

Post by RMZ »

It's that time of the year! Everyone's favorite time! And if you're an OHR-er you know it to be the time for the Halloween Contest!

The rules are as follows, any entry can be entered. But to win this contest, you musn't just make a great game, you must earn yourself points in 3 categories! 10 points for each category, with a maximum potential of 30.

1--SCARINESS: Can your game scare me or anyone else?

2--CREATIVITY: Don't just make a typical haunted house game. Be creative and do something no one has ever done before.

3--FUN: Go all out and make something that people will want to play again and again!

To score 5 bonus points, you must include all three of the following and make them part of the initial gameplay:
1) Sneak Attack
2) Parasites
3) Bloody room

When voting begins, each community member will vote for these three areas and give each entry a score they think is fair.

If in the course of a tie breaker, the games that have tied will go on the chopping block, and community members will vote for the game they think deserves to win.

Prizes! That's right, prizes! Turn out is never a great quality in OHR-Contests, so to get everyone motivated to participate, I have decided to put forth cash prizes to the winner. If there are between 5-9 entrants, I will award 20 dollars to the 1st place winner. If there are 10 or more, 1st place will win 20 bucks, 2nd place will win 10, and 3rd place will win 5.

There is no theme, there is no file to download. Go out there and make the best game you can, and good luck to everyone.

All entries should be finished by October 31st and post a link here to their game.

Voting will take place a few days afterwards.

CP is down, and I doubt anyone will go back there for this in 2008 when it finally comes back up, so I figured I'd move it here. There's not very much time left, so crank out something great!
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

RMZ wrote:CP is down, and I doubt anyone will go back there for this in 2008 when it finally comes back up, so I figured I'd move it here. There's not very much time left, so crank out something great!
2008? As in the Halloween of next year?
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

No, you dolt. The contest is named Halloween Contest 2008, but it's this year's Halloween contest. We just thought it sounded better this way.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Holy crap! I didn't notice that at all. I work in a calendar company and we're building the 2008 stuff. I musta forgotten what year it is, haha.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

This is partly to test the image linking of the site. And also as a symbolic show that the end of the game is within sight. Let's see if anyone catches the reference?
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I'm gonna guess Castlevania? (Symphony of the Night even?)
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Even though I never played the game, I'm going to guess Kid Dracula and sandsead.bmp
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Indeed. And you also win slimebucks for getting the correct reference.

In retrospect, giving away slimebucks is an awesome idea, and could be used to promote contests.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I've gone ahead and stickied this topic, which was my custom at Castle Paradox (in regards to stickying current and ongoing contests). Unless anyone has any reasonable objections to this, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't continue the tradition here. Hopefully this should draw some further attention to the Halloween Contest!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

The scene with the stairs to Dracula's lair with the moon and clock tower in the background has been in nearly every Castlevania game, starting with #1.

Currently, I don't think moderators can directly modify Slimebucks and stats. I'll enable that functionality soon, since I think it'll be a good idea to help prevent abuse. Also, feel free to penalize a poster's Int stat if it's clear that he's not living up to it, and so on.

:devil: (evil moderator icon)
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

After 3 weeks, I'm actually "finished" with three endings, so the game can in fact be played from start to finish now. What remains is fleshing the game out, filling the various rooms with traps, enemies, items and armor, and also fixing a host of bugs that had cropped up related to the plotscripting. Frankly, I'm surprised I was able to make a working game 9 days ahead of schedule, and still have time for bug testing. The only thing that could stop me is if Moogle1 releases Scary Game 3!

Please? :gonk:
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Bad news about that... If SG3 weren't going to miss deadline anyway, working on Slime Salad would have made it miss. I realized about a month ago that in order to release SG3 by Halloween, I'd have to remove a lot of what I wanted in there.

Rest assured I haven't given up the game.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

It would be awesome if you could extend the deadline by a little bit?
I've barely started my entry, and I won't have time to work on it for another week, at least :(

And besides, it looks like it's going to be just you vs. Fen so far.
:devil:
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
Hachi
Retired Smash Champion
Location: drifting down a hairpin turn HOLY SHI- HE OVERTOOK THE RX-7!!

Post by Hachi »

Lord help me, I'm...more than thinking of entering the contest, and provided this demo I'm making can convince my artist, I very well may enter. Even to the point of foregoing playing PW3...much.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I could extend it for a whole nother week.... Even though I've basically had the contest going for over 5 weeks. Well, make sure and have all games posted and linked here by the end of the week after Halloween.