FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THIS POST

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

At your urging, I checked out Genesis. Seems great so far, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go once I get out of the creepy forest (the trees block my way to the next town). Is the demo really that short? All those screenshots suggest so much more...
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

i think everyone needs that sense of envy back to inspire them to work harder. i remember that every time someone posted new screenshots of their game i would immediately go and work on genesis to try and make it better than the screens i had just seen. what happened to that?
The lack of competition is a pretty bad side effect to everybody keeping their projects secret until their respective glorious releases.

In my opinion, the general quality of games isn't getting better because nobody is telling the new members to get better.
Back in the day, I remember Shadowiii and CN quickly shutting down 'DarkMoon' because they considered it a game with no effort.
This hurt me quite a bit and I was given the determination to show them that I could stick as much effort into a game as possible, and then be able to shove it in their faces.

Nowadays, there are reviews for newbie games, but they're mostly in Hamster Speak.
I feel that these reviews seem like they're making fun of the new users behind their backs and scaring them away from game-making more than encouraging them to get better.
I think it would actually be better to give a proper review to a game on whatever site the game is hosted on.
With a formal review, the game creator can learn what went wrong and what went right.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that more screenshot dump threads would be awesome for the community.

Oh, and Genesis is looking pretty nice.
Good job, Sephy.
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Twinconclusive wrote:Nowadays, there are reviews for newbie games, but they're mostly in Hamster Speak.
I feel that these reviews seem like they're making fun of the new users behind their backs and scaring them away from game-making more than encouraging them to get better.
I think it would actually be better to give a proper review to a game on whatever site the game is hosted on.
With a formal review, the game creator can learn what went wrong and what went right.
What? There were much meaner, far less useful reviews in the past, most especially in the early days of CP/late days of Operation: OHR. The only users that are made fun of are ones that are either 1. intentionally making awful games (Hamburgerman) or 2. hyping their game up massively when the actual game is absolutely awful in every way (Dummy the Happyface). Bad games that are just bad because the user is new generally get more balanced reviews now than they did back in the day when nearly everything released got an F-.

This comment just really boggles my mind. I mean, part of the reason HS even launched is BECAUSE back when the older magazines were running, people loved seeing their games featured, even when reviews were negative, and because reviews on CP had damn well dried up.

If people want to rehost their reviews on CP/Slime Salad, I have no problem with that, but I don't see how having reviews off site lessens their value in any possible way.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

Surlaw wrote:The only users that are made fun of are ones that are either 1. intentionally making awful games (Hamburgerman) or 2. hyping their game up massively when the actual game is absolutely awful in every way (Dummy the Happyface).
Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about those up until now. :v:
Bad games that are just bad because the user is new generally get more balanced reviews now than they did back in the day when nearly everything released got an F-.
Then I guess I can't really try to put the blame on reviews then. :(
Whether they were unbalanced or not, the reviews from back then seemed to have triggered something to encourage people to get better.
(Or maybe I was the only one that these seemed to have worked on? Now that I think about it, I can't really recall too many game-making comebacks.)
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

camdog wrote:At your urging, I checked out Genesis. Seems great so far, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go once I get out of the creepy forest (the trees block my way to the next town). Is the demo really that short? All those screenshots suggest so much more...
hmm this doesn't sound right, because we never released a version of genesis without the next town after the creepy forest being included, i'm almost positive... where exactly are you trying to leave the forest from? have you encountered the gnome yet? i'm glad to hear you played it though! get back to me so i can hopefully help you out so you can see the pirate ship, where the demo ends.
:D!!!
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

Ok, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize you could enter the mountain. I kept walking northeast to that little town I could see past the trees. Anyway, made it to the pirate ship. Nice work! Looking forward to more.
Taylor Bair
Slime

Post by Taylor Bair »

I could have sworn that the last version released went all the way through the new Setsuna sequences. Isn't that the one you released last Christmas or so? Either way, there are still some features in it that are not completed, but none of these should be a barricade to the actual storyline progression.

If you have any trouble or questions just ask and I should be able to help, and thanks for taking the time to play.
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

Well, I got to the point where we were about to depart via pirate ship, and I was given the option to return to town first. I was able to go back to town, but there didn't seem to be a way to trigger the actual voyage. However, since Lucier said that was the end of the demo, I didn't poke around too much. I guess I'll take another look at some point.
Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

yeah now that you mention it, there is definitely more to that demo than where you left off, camdog. it sounds to me like you haven't actually departed on the ship, then? because i am sure the full pirate ship sequence is in the demo, and i'm pretty sure there is some story progression once you arrive in setsuna city, too. where you've stopped right now is actually where the very first demo stopped, but the version up on CP is the second demo.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I am definitely sure the pirate ship sequence is in the demo, because that's the part of the game I got stuck at before not playing.

(I am not saying make the boss easier. I think I managed to get myself in a situation where I couldn't go prepare for it, but my memory is fuzzy.)
Lucier
Red Slime

Post by Lucier »

yeah the boss is pretty tricky. my brother added a few level up areas on the world map so you can fight some more battles before getting on the ship. did you figure out how to beat the boss? there's a strategy to it.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I don't have it on my computer anymore (or it might be on a laptop whose Windows installation is broken), so I'll simply wait for the update.
Taylor Bair
Slime

Post by Taylor Bair »

In order to get back on the boat (which you would need to do in order to progress on the boat) simply go back to the Midlan docks and speak with the Pirate there. He will take you back on the ship where you must go find Nore in order to progress. The option to return to Midlan was mostly used as a tool for those who realized the upcoming boss was too difficult or certain items were not owned yet that would help in the battle. However, it seems that the feedback shows that this was slightly confusing. I'll look into making this a smoother transition in the future.

And yes, there is quite a bit of demo left after this portion. You will know when you have completed the demo. There is nothing I hate worse than games that do not make this clear, so you can be sure to never find it in one that I'm a part of.