OHR Confessional

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Spoonweaver wrote:Also: I'd like to see some kind of huge project being worked on by like half the community if possible. lets say 2-3 people working scripting, 2-3 people working on graphics, 1-2 on music. 1-2 on odd jobs.

I think this could really bring the community together.
Vikings of Midgard.

While most of the plotscripting and all of the art are done by myself, various other elements are contributed by other community members. Specifically:

Moogle1 (Music)
Artimus Bena (Music)
Setu Firestorm (Music)
A piece by Jazzman I think
Red Maverick Zero (Music AND Character)
Misteroo (Characters)
Fyrewulff (Characters)
Surlaw
Rinku
Chaos Nyte
Inferior Minion

Actually, just about everyone who's contributed SOMETHING is in there somewhere. This is really the only Community project I can think of that's anywhere close to getting off the ground.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Surlaw wrote:Personally, I don't have any interest in working on OHR games with other people, because even with the best intentions people will inevitably drop out. A small team of 2 or 3 can work, larger ones not really.
Which is why House Villains did so well. 2 heads are always better than one.

Maybe if we can get a decent group this time, we could try my contest idea again later this year.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

see, now I did not know that.

well perhaps instead of sulking about the old, more active days we should try to make this community more active. Like advertising or something.

I think it's those damned flash games. there's so many, and most of them are really bad. what we need is some kind of program that takes a .rpg file and compiles it into a .swf
I'm not sure how this would work exactly, but I would be willing to help make it.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

Spoonweaver wrote:see, now I did not know that.

well perhaps instead of sulking about the old, more active days we should try to make this community more active. Like advertising or something.

I think it's those damned flash games. there's so many, and most of them are really bad. what we need is some kind of program that takes a .rpg file and compiles it into a .swf
I'm not sure how this would work exactly, but I would be willing to help make it.
I think there was one site that James (?) brought up which could play OHRRPGCE games over the internet.
It was pretty nifty.
The sad thing is that I might actually play more games if I was just one click away from opening them. :(
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

GMarcade. I put Tim-Tim up there. The problem is that it's just not that popular of a site. If we could get some kind of flash convergence going we could infiltrate the more popular gaming sites, like newgrounds and what have you.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

Is there a colaboration project thread? Like I said, I don't really visit much, but if everybody did combine to make some super, uber OHR Chrono Trigger, I'd love to contribute with story and dialogue (I'd offer graphics or something, but I seriously wouldn't get them done).

I was also going to respond to Gizmog's post but I don't really know what to say. Besides the reason I don't hang around anymore is probably mostly based on what I mentioned before. That is probably why I quit making games as well, honestly.

Luckily I still like you guys (quite a bit actually), I just sometimes felt people didn't care about me. Even after the mission I asked people if they'd read or even skim the book project I'm working on, and I didn't hear anything from anybody. Ever. Until just last week, when I posted something saying it was done, and magically I have friends again. Maybe my lack of activity over the previous two years (but hey, I was ON A MISSION) had something to do with it, but frankly I've felt like the loner looking in on the "cool kid's" conversations for the past several years.

Wow that was really emo. Believe me, I'm not really upset about it, I just felt a little betrayed (as I'm sure we all have in this community). I put a LOT into it, from games to reviews to OHR-Weekly, and if I buggered off today I don't think anyone would notice. The same thing happened to Squall (one of my favorite OHR community members) and he never came back. (minus his post in this thread, of course)

Sorry I turned this into my own personal bitching post. I guess I ended up responding to Gizmog after all. Your posts have all been quite enlightening, I'll say that much.
Last edited by Shadowiii on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

Shadowiii wrote:The same thing happened to Squall (one of my favorite OHR community members) and he never came back. (minus his post in this thread, of course)
Uh, where was Squall's post in this thread?
And I don't recall this ever happening to him. I know I always supported what he did, but he just kinda drifted away from the community on his own, as will happen over time.
EDIT: Oh that's right! I was sure there was some falling out, and I remember what it is now: <a href="http://www.castleparadox.com/ohr/viewto ... =0">Squall got way too serious on us and left in a huff.</a>

Also, we dedicated a roulette comic to you after you got back from mission, Shads! Feel loved please. You're not the only person who's book I never read on the internet (internet really isn't conducive to reading books! i read my books on the bus to work. the internet is not there with me). :(
Last edited by Uncommon on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

RedMaverickZero wrote:Maybe if we can get a decent group this time, we could try my contest idea again later this year.
I have at any given time two or three cool contest ideas that I don't follow through with since there are already several going on. One of them is a collaborative/competitive contest in this vein, maybe -- the idea is that everyone would submit one or two walkabout sets, one or two enemies, one or two tilesets, and so on, then all of the contestants would have to figure out how to combine all of the provided elements into one cohesive game.
Well, I'm trying. :hurr:
Everyone has a ton of great ideas, but no time for any of them.
I've got the opposite problem right now -- I've got time, but nothing I want to work on. I'm worn out on writing sidescroller plotscripts and their ilk.

If anyone has a great idea to sell me on, now is the time to do it.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

Shadowiii wrote:Is there a colaboration project thread? Like I said, I don't really visit much, but if everybody did combine to make some super, uber OHR Chrono Trigger, I'd love to contribute with story and dialogue (I'd offer graphics or something, but I seriously wouldn't get them done).
In our first run, we made this.

Our second run? uhh, not so good.
Even after the mission I asked people if they'd read or even skim the book project I'm working on, and I didn't hear anything from anybody.
We liked playing games and looking at eye-candy more than reading. :hurr:
&#9834;&#9834;&#9834; Du du duuuu &#9834;&#9834;&#9834;
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Mogri wrote:If anyone has a great idea to sell me on, now is the time to do it.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

I swear Squall posted. Wait, damn it, some how I got Fortis confused. When I read "I wish i'd never closed Zantetsuken" I thought it set "Renzosuken" (however you spell it). Shoot, thats what I get for skimming.

Sorry I'm being a whiny bitch. I'll have some better confession stuff when it isn't so late at night. :P :kamina:

Edit: The slime censor doesn't slime bitch? :gonk: :devil:
Last edited by Shadowiii on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Regarding the Flash comment, no, there is no way to get the OHRRPGCE to run in flash. We are working on improving the portability of the OHR, but first targets are stuff like Mac OS X, or handhelds, or stuff like that. Although I suppose if TMC's experimental FreeBasic-to-C++ converter works out well enough we could always try running it through Adobe Alchemy... but that is a lot of conversion voodoo, and you know it won't be that simple.

GMArcade uses a java app to download and install the normal exe file on your hard drive and then launch it, so it just creates the illusion that it was started from the webpage.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Twinconclusive/TwinHamster/Too Many Name Variants/CP-SS Identity Crisis/Ahhhh wrote:The sad thing is that I might actually play more games if I was just one click away from opening them.
James wrote:GMArcade uses a java app to download and install the normal exe file on your hard drive and then launch it, so it just creates the illusion that it was started from the webpage.
This would probably still do the trick then. Illusions are almost as good as the real thing.

It might not raise popularity outside that site or increase the numbers of this community, but it might get a few more community fence-dwellers to fall over onto the side of "playing more games."
Shadowiii wrote:Luckily I still like you guys (quite a bit actually), I just sometimes felt people didn't care about me. Even after the mission I asked people if they'd read or even skim the book project I'm working on, and I didn't hear anything from anybody. Ever. Until just last week, when I posted something saying it was done, and magically I have friends again. Maybe my lack of activity over the previous two years (but hey, I was ON A MISSION) had something to do with it, but frankly I've felt like the loner looking in on the "cool kid's" conversations for the past several years.
You do realize that you're one of the people I consistently consider every time I open up CUSTOM and work on Powerstick Man, right? I still remember that CP review you wrote years ago about wanting to see an update, and I still finish up an update session on a daily/weekly basis and think to myself, I wonder if Shads is gonna play this again. I know it hasn't shown up on your list of must plays in several years now (sometimes I think you forgot that you played it), but you're one of maybe five people I'm updating this thing for (besides myself, of course) in the hopes of getting it its due new laughs.

So you're not forgotten. You might've gotten a bit emo/grumpier in the last couple years (as referenced by the saltier language that I don't remember you using in the old days), but we all still like hearing what you have to say. And though I think it would be nice if you got active in the game making/game playing department again, I'm glad you at least still hang out and offer the occasional witty/grumpy/poignant input on things.

And I didn't know you put out a book. Where was I when this all happened?

I can tell you from experience, books and short stories are harder to get critiques (or read-throughs) for in any community, especially this one. If you don't mind reading and critiquing other people's works, your best bet is to sign up with Zoetrope (www.zoetrope.com) or the Internet Writing Workshop (www.internetwritingworkshop.org) and have the people there look at it. At least there, people purposely look for things to read. Actually, I think the latter is an emailing system, but successful novelists have recommended it, so it's worth looking into. Feedback is still depressingly light, but it's better than what you'll get on a gaming site.

But don't worry about all that theoretical neglect. It's all illusion and illusions are never quite the real thing.
msw188 wrote:*I miss the Game Design Discussion threads that we used to have going. I like theory and academia, thus the tone of my Hamsterspeak articles. I especially miss my discussions with Iblis. But it could be said that the more and more you discuss, the less there is left to talk about.
This has been one of my ongoing fears about writing articles for HamsterSpeak (and a general fear for the magazine's future). I keep wondering when we're gonna run out of things to say:

"So this month, we're gonna talk about how to train a monkey to draw your walkabout sprite."

It's a tough reality to consider, but I imagine a day will come when we've officially talked the subject of game design to death. Then we'll just have reviews to work on.

But if that day comes, at least HamsterSpeak did its job in riding the wave all the way to the beach.
msw188 wrote:*Along those lines, I usually feel that my articles don't get read, but I really don't mind that much because I can understand if other people aren't interested in the same kinds of discussion and considerations that I am. For myself, I find some of the other articles rather dull and devoid of any real theoretical interest or insight. I still appreciate the articles more than the art and/or comics though.
I'll confess here in saying that I read every HamsterSpeak article posted because I know how much time goes into considering it and how much time goes into writing it. But academia can be painful when it's surrounded by casual relativity, and I do sometimes find it a chore to get through those types of articles. But I do read them. And sometimes those articles hit me on the right note (like the recent one about the monetary systems--good job, by the way).

But like you said, it's more important to write these things for yourself first and hope that people can agree with you second.
msw188 wrote:*Another problem with the wiki may be that the OHR is becoming too complicated for FAQ-style documentation. The categorization is terrible, but I can't think of a better way of doing it. For one thing though, alphabetization doesn't work for a list of questions that all start with "How" or "What". Maybe once the help screens in the editor are complete, the wiki can get a makeover of sorts. I wish I could help think of how to make it set up.

I think updating the HOWTO articles is the best way to narrow the field. If you create a wiki using a Table of Contents that refers line by line to the functions of CUSTOM, starting with graphics (and its sub-menus) and working all the way down to "Exit Game," you can knock all your basic questions out right off the bat and still keep it user-friendly. Or you can just trust that the person with the questions will press F1 now that internal help is installed. But setting up the Wiki this way can still help those just considering the engine decide whether they want to use it.

For everything that's left (like "How do I make a bank?"), you could alphabetize key words and go from there. Then, instead of posting it as "How do I...?" just post it as:

Banks--Design
Banks--Implementation
Banks--How to Put Your Game World Into Economic Collapse.
etc.
msw188 wrote:*I wish that more COMPLETE RPGs were made; RPGs in and of themselves aren't fun for me in the same way as other kinds of games - they need a feeling of completion and accomplishment, so that the world feels complete and the gameplay feels like working towards a final goal.
I can both agree and disagree with this. I think demos are important because they gauge initial player response and test an author's commitment to the project. If he or she can release the demo and still go back to work on it after the criticisms are made, then he knows his project is worth completing. Without the demo, he stands a chance at making a 30+-hour nightmare that no one wants to see to completion.

I totally understand your viewpoint, but I think authors have an obligation to ensure that what they're doing is worth their sacrifice of time. And it would seem that 95% of OHR users decide that it's not. Of those who decide it's worth finishing, most of them churn out a complete experience that feels like something we'd want to work toward reaching a goal.

So yeah, up with demos.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Oh I agree that demos are important. I guess I'm just expressing my wish that more complete RPGs made their way onto the gamelist.

One thing that occurs to me is that, apart from the obvious logistical problems, there are other issues which might make teamwork difficult for making a game if the team is to be large. Most notably, how does the team decide whose in charge when there is disagreement on what is better for a game? I think that most people who choose the OHR do so because its easy to do it all yourself with it. You feel like you have the chance to make a whole game yourself, with only minimal outside help. And you feel in control of what you want your game to be like. This is part of what separates professional designers from amateurs. Professionals understand and expect to be a part of a team and to be forced to specialize in certain things. Furthermore, they understand and expect to have a boss. I'm not sure if amateurs want any of that.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Uncommon wrote:EDIT: Oh that's right! I was sure there was some falling out, and I remember what it is now: <a href="http://www.castleparadox.com/ohr/viewto ... =0">Squall got way too serious on us and left in a huff.</a>
I got a lot of crap from him on my journal for starting HamsterSpeak and "wasting my time." It hurt more coming from him than from most people because I really respected him.

It made the magazine's success (and the fact that it helped get me my job) a lot more satisfying though. That's probably bitter.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.