Advance Wars - Days of Ruin

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Mazin wrote:I dunno if I'll be getting this one. I got AWDS and I liked it for a while, but my impression of it and of the original AW is that they just get less fun as they go on. Like they start out great but then they gradually add in fog of war and rain and other stuff that just makes the game annoying to play.
True. Having to replay through the games to unlock everything is a kick in the balls as well. Thankfully I've heard that you only have to play through Campaign only once (Trial Maps are optional).

And Snow is as annoying as ever. I played a WiFi random match with a map made of Snow and mountains, and it was painful. It ended in a draw because random WiFi matches have a set day limit.
It's good that they're being a little more serious about death though, I remember in AWDS when you meet the yellow guys they challenge you to a battle to test your skills (I think the green guys do this too?), and this is okay until you realize that your troops are dying just so the COs can have some fun.
Ah, yeah. The game actually make little guys have lives too, not just the COs.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Lonely Rolling Star wrote:Has anyone noticed the mayor in the game looks just like the hotel owner in Hotel Dusk Room 215? He even has the same sort of pose.
I actually thought this too.

I've played through the first few campaign missions, and I'm enjoying it so far. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a single person to play online with through random matchups.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a single person to play online with through random matchups.
I've been successful in finding people so far. 'Course, I haven't played much of it, but still.

I also felt compelled to name myself W.C.Cube [Heart Symbol] on my DS.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

Does anyone else feel Greyfield is supposed to resemble Hitler appearance-wise?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Super Famicom Wars (unreleased in America) has a CO named Hetler, no joke.

So it is no surprise that Greyfield is allowed to share the same similarity.
Fieron
Red Slime

Re: Advance Wars - Days of Ruin

Post by Fieron »

Lonely Rolling Star wrote:
Has anybody played it yet?
i just ordered a copy of it last night. Advance wars is awesome
Lonely Rolling Star wrote:
CO's actually die in the storyline.
sturm dies at the end of the 2nd game.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Re: Advance Wars - Days of Ruin

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Fieron wrote: sturm dies at the end of the 2nd game.
Trust Only One In All on this one...

Also, Moogle1? Can you change the spoiler tags so that you have to select the text manually to see the spoiler? Hovering the mouse over the spoiler makes it too easy to see said spoiler.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I could do that, but I think it's a pain to have to highlight everything you want to read.

Alternatively, you could disable Javascript on your browser.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Alternatively, you could disable Javascript on your browser.
I have no problem with the spoilers themselves, but I figured it would be convenient for others.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

I don't count Sturm dying at the end of the 2nd one really, because the story is pretty much slime, the way he dies is slime (Hawke: I DOS SPELL! BLACK STORM! PWNAGE), and he's not even human? What the slime is he? There's a big difference between the spoiler for Days of Ruin and the 'War is Fun!' Advance Wars'.

Also to disagree with Newbie, I actually like it better that you can scroll over the spoilers and see it. If you don't want to see it, just be more careful. I don't know if anyone else might actually prefer it the other way.