Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Post by Meatballsub »

I picked this up a couple of days ago and have enjoyed it so far. The updated dialogue is refreshing, and the style seems to fit much better than the PS version.

They have added "cel-shaded" cutscene in certain parts of the game, although it looks more grainy than like a cartoon. You can also play as a Dark Knight and Onion Knight.

I am only five hours into the game, but it has been fun so far. It seems as if just enough has been changed to make it a refreshing experience.

If you are a fan of the PS version, you should definitely check this one out.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

If I had a PSP, I'd be all over this.

Instead, I'm getting Puzzle Quest and Lunar Knights (aka Boktai 4).
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Since I'm a Kingdom Hearts junkie, I will be buying a PSP when the KH game comes out for that. And since I'll be stuck with one anyways, I'll pick this up. They didn't change toooo much else did they?
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I have yet to hear anything good about the port from hardcore fans. :(
I'll stick with FFTv1.2 if I want an edited version.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I am curious as to what you have heard about it.

Then again, I can't really vouch for this game totally just yet. I am only five hours into it, but from what I've seen so far, I don't see why anyone that loved the first would hate this one.

Unless they like dialogue that doesn't make sense and is riddled with errors. I have heard several people complain about the new dialogue, but honestly, it makes much more sense the way it is delivered this time around.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Come on, the dialogue's one of the best parts!

"I got a good feeling!"

Ramza's line about the stones at the end of Chap 3 is epic.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Yeah, some of the dialogue is priceless, but again, I really think the change was for the better.
Hachi
Retired Smash Champion
Location: drifting down a hairpin turn HOLY SHI- HE OVERTOOK THE RX-7!!

Post by Hachi »

I got the chance to play it (yay for friends in the military with wayyyy too much money), and if I ever got a PSP, I would definitely -not- get it.

The thing is, I like the changes: the added cutscenes, the different dialog (Gafgarian's beginning dialog is...I don't know...it just impressed the hell out of me), and I would probably like the new classes too.

But how in the world could you stand the battle slowdown? Is it just the first battle in which there's heavily noticeable lag on every spell effect? Honestly, I couldn't see playing the game with lag of that magnitude when you're guaranteed something like 10-40 spell effects per battle (depending on how you play and which battles, of course, but even still). Obviously I quit playing after that first battle, but tell me: does it get better?
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Eternalhachi wrote:I got the chance to play it (yay for friends in the military with wayyyy too much money), and if I ever got a PSP, I would definitely -not- get it.

The thing is, I like the changes: the added cutscenes, the different dialog (Gafgarian's beginning dialog is...I don't know...it just impressed the hell out of me), and I would probably like the new classes too.

But how in the world could you stand the battle slowdown? Is it just the first battle in which there's heavily noticeable lag on every spell effect? Honestly, I couldn't see playing the game with lag of that magnitude when you're guaranteed something like 10-40 spell effects per battle (depending on how you play and which battles, of course, but even still). Obviously I quit playing after that first battle, but tell me: does it get better?
You are 100% correct. Even skills that have minimal animation cause slowdown, like a potion from a chemist. Indeed it does suck.

So far I have managed though. I just got in Act 3 this morning, I'll see how long I can last.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I haven't played the PSP version of FFT, but judging by the animation load times, it's the same syndrome that Spectral Souls had (actually, Spectral Souls is probably much worse, because that game lets you chain abilities, but each link in the chain requires loading time).
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Well, at least you can take FFT on the go or play while you are taking a slam. The revamped dialogue, new portions of story, and the new cutscenes outway the slowdown in the end though in my opinion.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

The more I play this game, the more I get used to the slow down. It has gotten to the point where I don't even notice it anymore.

I forgot that this version added a few new characters, such as Luso (from FFA-2?) and Balthier (from FF 12). I just picked up Luso, and he is pretty much a Ramza clone with a built-in poaching ability in his "Game Hunter" job.

Everything I have heard about Balthier makes him sound like a beast, rivaling the overpoweredness of the Thunder God himself. From what i've read he is basically Mustadio on steroids, has all of his 'Aimed Shot' abilities, theif abilities, and a insane ability called "Barrage". I look forward to picking him up.

Haven't became a Dark Knight yet, but I am still working towards it. The job requirements have been increased somewhat as well as ability costs for some jobs. Dark Knight requires mastered Knight and Black Mage, level 8 Geomancer, Dragoon, Ninja, and Samurai, as well as 20 kills to unlock.

Overall, I'm still having a blast with this game.
Shuuichi
Slime

Post by Shuuichi »

All and all it sounds like an interesting game, Ive always been a massive fan of the original, Tactics advance was nothing to the original, so I was extremely excited to hear about lion wars, and ignoring the lag problem, it sounds like it'll be as much of an addiction as the first was. Though while TG Cid and mustadio were some of the most over-powered characters in the last game.... cloud sucked slime. I was always a big fan of Beowolf. Nothing like using chicken on Elmdor and chasing him round the room with a thief, ganking all his gear from him.

I really cant wait to play it and soon as i prod my roommate in to buying it I can leave a proper review.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

Meatballsub wrote:The more I play this game, the more I get used to the slow down.
Famous last words. :(
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!