Strange paranormal experiences?

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Only One In All
Metal Slime

Strange paranormal experiences?

Post by Only One In All »

Has anyone ever had weird experiences of the paranormal kind or things that just can't really be explained scientifically?

Lately I've been having a lot of coincidences. You know the kind where you think of something or someone you haven't seen in a long time, and then not much later you coincidentally happen to see them?

One of the more definite ones I had was when I was several minutes away from home, and I was waiting at a red light when I suddenly got this feeling of... loss. It was like a bad kind of feeling, but I guess I felt like something bad just happened, and then I had a feeling that my pet hamster passed away. I asked my brother in the car next to me if he felt it, and he said no. When I got home, my sister was bawling and it turns out my hamster did pass away just several minutes before when I felt it die. :gonk:
Leonhart
Slime

Post by Leonhart »

The feeling of losing a hamster....

My experience? I usually tell this to people: I was seven back then, and I was at my great grandfather's wake. It was my very first wake, and I had no idea how things work. My father told me that I should approach the coffin and "talk" to him, because they say that the ears are the last part of a human being to die. I did approach him, and was about to talk to him, when I saw my great grandfather's mouth open wide for a second, then close immediately.

I screamed and screamed in terror and was the attention of the entire wake for a full minute.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Yeah, the feeling of losing something you loved, nonetheless.

Your experience though, perhaps it can be explained by those after-death muscle spasms things? If you saw the first Final Destination, you can see that happen (although it's supposed to be inaccurate the way they depicted it but yeah... maybe it was something like that?).

How about dreams? Sometimes when I'm really expecting something, even though I don't know what day I'll get it the day the item is arriving in the mail, whether it's an electronic entertainment item from Amazon or a report card or SAT score, I'll have a dream where I open the mail and I see that I got that item, and then when I awake, I'll still have that image in my head. When I go to my mail, that item is there. Pretty cool huh? Maybe the post office is sending electromagnetic brain wave signals to tell me my package is arriving?
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

Ugh, I experience pangs of Déjà Vu pretty frequently sometimes.

Although, I'm pretty sure that it may just be my mind messing up and having to comprehend things a second time, leaving me with a "What the srime?"
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Okay, I hate to burst in unannounced and interrupt such a conversation, but I have two questions. First, how does one get accents on letters? Is it done with some sort of html code?

Secondly, did the word filter make "Srime"? I'm the only one who is allowed to use that word, and only as a signature in reference to our good old buddy from the Adventure of Link!!!

Oh, and to try to add to the discussion, I'm not sure what to think of the 'paranormal'. My initial response is that there is no such thing, and that as long as the question is "how" did something happen rather than "why", we can eventually answer it scientifically. But when we ask "why", we never have an answer, so all occurences might as well be regarded as paranormal.

That doesn't mean it's not fun to ponder strange coincidences though. I just can't think of any for myself lately.
I am Srime
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

The quickest way to add accents to words without reconfiguring your keyboard is Alt+####. For example, Alt+0233 will do a lowercase "é."

"Srime" is not automatic. You can blame Twins for that.

"Paranormal" just means "not scientifically explainable." You can take two views of that: either everything is scientifically explainable and there's no such thing as the paranormal, or everything that we can't scientifically explain is paranormal. I think the latter is the generally accepted definition, but it's really broad -- generally, we tack on "and strange and interesting" to the practical definition.
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

I tend to think of these paranormal experiences as being explainable as self-selecting bias. In other words, you have random dreams or feelings all the time, but you remember them when they sync up with real world events, since the connection appears to be so powerful. Since you do dream or experience random emotions so frequently, it's no surprise that they occasionally coincide with reality, you just forget about them when they don't.

Of course, I don't mean to dump on any experiences described here. I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong. However, I've never had an experience that could be described as paranormal, so I'm a little bit skeptical.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Lack of first-hand experience isn't a sufficient reason alone to be skeptical. I've never been to Kansas or China, but I'm sure they exist. I've never met a celebrity, but I'm sure they're real people.

If you're doubtful about the things everyone's doubtful about, you're a skeptic. If you're doubtful about the things that most people accept as proven, you're a conspiracy theorist.
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

Mogri wrote:Lack of first-hand experience isn't a sufficient reason alone to be skeptical. I've never been to Kansas or China, but I'm sure they exist. I've never met a celebrity, but I'm sure they're real people.
Yeah, but not being able to explain something isn't the same as it being paranormal.
Mogri wrote:If you're doubtful about the things everyone's doubtful about, you're a skeptic. If you're doubtful about the things that most people accept as proven, you're a conspiracy theorist.
I think those definitions need work. Everyone's a skeptic? The majority has never been wrong about anything?
Only One In All
Metal Slime

As far as my experiences go, I would say they're pretty solid with the connections and all, it's just a matter of how to explain how I knew my hamster had died at that exact moment I had that feeling, as well as having a dream about the object (in specific) the day it's supposed to arrive.

It's not as vague as say, I thought that today something bad might happen, and it did - somebody died. Or, I had a dream about video games and then several days later a video game arrived in the mail. This is perhaps what you meant Camdog, about having random images or thoughts and then relating to it when later something similar happens that you connect it to.

I mean, I haven't spoken of, thought of, or heard of Pocahontas in years. Yesterday, one of my co-workers called me that name because of my long hair and slight resemblance to Native Americans (and also because I called him Shrek). Then today in my history class, Pocahontas is brought up. Not really paranormal, but like I said, no mention or thoughts of Pocahontas in years and then suddenly, this funny coincidence. I guess I'm saying some of the paranormal/coincidences I have just feel more solid than what you are probably talking about.

Now as far as slime like horoscopes go, that's just a load of hogwash because the descriptions are so vague that you could easily say 'WOW! THIS IS SO TRUE!' whether it's for yours or not. People who think that horoscopes are telling them something they don't already know are... gullible I guess?

Also, Mogri doesn't seem to be necessarily stating that the majority can't be wrong, nor does he state they're right.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Lonely Rolling Star wrote:Now as far as slime like horoscopes go, that's just a load of hogwash because the descriptions are so vague that you could easily say 'WOW! THIS IS SO TRUE!' whether it's for yours or not. People who think that horoscopes are telling them something they don't already know are... gullible I guess?
Newspaper "Sun Sign" horoscopes are a joke, but a full natal star chart as interpreted by a skilled astrologer can be pretty alarmingly accurate. That can be reasonably explained by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmati ... nfirmation bias</a> but it still is very easy to understand how people take astrology seriously when you have seen it done properly.

It doesn't have to actually "work" for it to feel magical.
the drizzle
Red Slime

Post by the drizzle »

I also think that people in general prefer to feel that their is an element of mysticism in their lives. So people are willing to say that horoscopes are always right even if that isn't always the case.

Or maybe people want to find a reason that they are the way they are. "I have a bad temper but it's ok because I'm a ____ and that's how I'm supposed to be." Not sure if there's validity to that but there might be for some people.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Good lord. Hey Mogri, you know how like, the avatars confused you with Fieron/Calehay? Now I know how you feel, because I've been mistakening Ronin Catholic for James Paige (Bob Slime) and the drizzle for Red Maverick Zero (Triangle Slime).

But yeah, what you just said just sounds like an excuse. That'd be like saying something like, "I can't make good games because I wasn't born with an innate talent of doing so.".

And for the record, whenever I look at my horoscope, even with it being general as it is, it is inaccurate for me.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Well, in my defense, Wandering Hamster is my favorite OHR game of all time, and the Bob slime is in the gallery.

As far as paranormal experiences, I have occasionally felt strange energies flowing through my body. They seem to build up and make me feel weird, until I point my hands at something and say what are(apparently) nonsense words.

Dogunzaki

Latumofis

Hoi-Kiri-Kiri

The strange part is, these words actually seem to have some(though admittedly small) effect on the environment.

Oh, and demons bug me at night and tempt me with vixen succubi.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Yeah, I had the same problem with the avatars.
Rurouni Catholic wrote:Oh, and demons bug me at night and tempt me with vixen succubi.
Nothing strange about that.