Someone got ahold of my bank account information...

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Excellent question. I'm not sure about other teams, but given that I saw a date in our systems well into the latter half of the century, I'd say we're equipped to deal with it. Our databases, perhaps not so much.

Go ahead and ask me how happy I am about Bush changing DST at the last minute last year, though. Ask me how much energy that actually saved.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Mogri wrote:Excellent question. I'm not sure about other teams, but given that I saw a date in our systems well into the latter half of the century, I'd say we're equipped to deal with it. Our databases, perhaps not so much.
I have some code where I work that accepts and stores dates up to december 31st of the year 9999, but any operations that do date comparisons using these result in unhappyness (which I have resolved by displaying BIG RED WARNING MESSAGES when it happens but not actually fixing)
Mogri wrote:Go ahead and ask me how happy I am about Bush changing DST at the last minute last year, though. Ask me how much energy that actually saved.
How happy are you about Bush changing DST at the last minute last year? How much energy did that actually save?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

My suspicion is that we actually lost out on energy in 2007 due to the extra computer hours that people had to work all across the country (and probably in other countries, who must hate our calendaring system). Certainly if not energy then it was a mild financial hit across the board to companies who were forced to pay their workers to update ancient systems in order to conform to a bizarre new specification instead of doing whatever useful bit of work they might have otherwise done.

But I don't actually have any proof of this, just conjecture.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

I got the account closed, so no more issues with that, and I got my money back. Fortunately it wasn't much of a hassle.

When I mentioned earlier I thought it might have to do with the buyer in Texas, it was a theory. Not likely, but it was hard to believe that someone would get ahold of my account like that with little clues as to how, especially considering the specific account.