Combining several midi files?

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Only One In All
Metal Slime

Combining several midi files?

Post by Only One In All »

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I need to find a way to combine several sheets of midi music into one. Does anyone here know how to do that, or what program could take several different midi files and combine them into one?

I figure this is the most appropriate place to post this question, since the music is being composed for a game.
Artimus Bena
Red Slime

Post by Artimus Bena »

Uhh, if you can open multiple files in the program you're using, then just open whatever files you need, select what notes you want, and copy/paste into the main file.
-John Hancock
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

If it was that easy, I wouldn't have posted it up here. :/ The problem is the copy and paste doesn't copy over areas with notes already placed. It'll only add it to empty spaces or in between over notes, it never overlaps them. (The program I use is a freeware called Chords)
chill-e
Red Slime

Post by chill-e »

Oh... so you WANT it to overlap?

Well, if you dont already have too many tracks (i doubt you're using all 16) you can make a new track, then just paste it on there. Most MIDI programs (that i use, anyways) have the ability to "merge tracks". That's usually the name of the command, and I'm sure this program can do the same.
Artimus Bena
Red Slime

Post by Artimus Bena »

Yeah, if you just make a new track and set it to the same "channel" and use the same instrument patch, it should be just like overlapping. Not sure how Chords is, I use noteworthy for most things, and anvil studios on random occasions.
-John Hancock