A Door To the Heavens [The devlog thread]

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Feenicks
Metal Slime

Re: A Door To the Heavens [The devlog thread]

Post by Feenicks »

I'm already giving some enemies some minor animation [pic related], and while I have thought about doing something for regular enemies [some minor moving around, maybe], how exactly I'd do that [as in, how I'd want it to look; I gave the idea a shot a while back and didn't like how it turned out] is still up in the air.
Attachments
As it turns out doing the grass animation wasn't too terrible.
As it turns out doing the grass animation wasn't too terrible.
door0131.gif (174.34 KiB) Viewed 295 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

The floating keeps the fluidity of your animations going for sure. I'm sure with your distinct enemy poses it's not always easy to animate them even simply. The fact that you're doing it some of the time will help a lot. It looks great in motion.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

It's been about a month.

door0147.png
door0147.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 225 times
door0148.png
door0148.png (18.52 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Work on the main hub town continues, with all the exterior maps for it and a lot of the interior ones at tiled out, but I also went and got the tileset for one of the other towns set up. I ended up drawing a bunch of interior stuff as well, but I'll wait until next month to show some of that off.

door0153.png
door0153.png (16.36 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Stairs that cross over one another, as well as more generally stairs that can pass over regular walkable terrain, have been set up. There's a few places I want to use these, so having them around before I start building that stuff for real seems smart.
door0165.png
door0165.png (29.38 KiB) Viewed 225 times
door0161.png
door0161.png (16.29 KiB) Viewed 225 times
As it's a dungeon without too much event stuff going on, I've been setting up a few maps of the ice cave, and also got the battle backdrop for the area drawn up. I've also gone and drawn a few more enemy sprites, but that's exactly that interesting.
door0163.gif
door0163.gif (189.26 KiB) Viewed 225 times
On the topic of battle backgrounds, I also stumbled into a heat haze effect [to be distinguished from the other wave effect I've shown off in the past, just not in this thread]. Also slightly on topic, I went and made the character UI boxes a set size, instead of having them scale to fill the entire width of the screen.
door0158.png
door0158.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 225 times
And on the topic of battles in general, I'd finally had enough of debugging weapon positioning issues and made a quick reference thing that takes all the battle animation frames and tiles them out, with the equipped weapon positioned as they would be in battle. It's a lot easier to spot and correct improper weapon positions when you aren't looking out for them when a quick animation is actually playing.

______

As for other things I've been doing:
- The cliffside dungeon is more or less complete. There's one scene at the end I've been putting off, and I'll probably muck around with the enemy formations again, but all the mapping is done [and treasure placement is pretty straightforward after the fact].
- I've been doing a lot of database stuff. I finally have some base weapons/armor with which to better test enemies, and while setting up all the area-specific gear [there's a lot] will take time I've at least got most of what I need there started on.
- I redid the pitfall script a bit so that there's no map layer shuffling going on. No need to map stuff out so that NPCs of any sort aren't around pitfalls now.
- Bugfixes, as are inevitable.

And that's another month's work. Let's see if by mid-May I can actually have a town squared away.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Another month, another update.
door0177.png
door0177.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 166 times
door0172.png
door0172.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 166 times
I finally got all the maps and NPCs in the first area of the game sorted out. Thank goodness.

door0204.png
door0204.png (22.91 KiB) Viewed 166 times
I also gave the overworld graphics a try, as having them be the really placeholdery versions for the demo didn't feel great, but I'm not a huge fan of them honestly. I'll probably be ripping these out and replacing them with something else when I start drawing stuff for the rest of the overworld maps.

door0179.gif
door0179.gif (548.21 KiB) Viewed 166 times
On a mechanical level, conveyor belts! I'm able to change the speed at which they push the player around as well.

door0209.gif
door0209.gif (130.5 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Cygna also gets a proper shield bash animation.
door0216.png
door0216.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 166 times
door0207.png
door0207.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 166 times
I also got a bestiary screen set up. Compact is definitely the wrong word, but all the information is over two screens now, instead of four as in False Skies. It's also organized by area/subarea, as due to the way this game's set up doing things as a single big list would be problematic.

Other things of note:
- I got a bunch of enemy and item descriptions done up, as well as some organizational database things done.
- Some more weapon/shield graphics got thrown into the file.
- I reorganized the menu a little bit to put all of the less directly important stuff into their own System menu.
- Also I got another demo out! Go check it out maybe.