Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Post by RMZ »

takoyaki_kungpao_03.gif
takoyaki_kungpao_03.gif (1.13 MiB) Viewed 763 times
Nearly finished with World 5. I tend to move slower this time of year on projects so it's taken a little longer than expected but that's okay. I got the boss done and got one of my co-workers to voice it which was a fun thing to work on. The boss is basically a giant tank enemy which were gradually sprinkled into the game from world 2 up til now.
takoyaki_snakeenemy.gif
takoyaki_snakeenemy.gif (483.4 KiB) Viewed 763 times
To balance that amazing super move a little bit more I made a new enemy type, the snakes. If you kill a snake type with a super move it stuns your swordfish for about 5 seconds, making it impossible to click/kill anything beyond menus.

Working on the rooms themselves and making sure I set the world up correctly. I am hoping to be done with World 5 by the end of the week, close to my original goal of mid-November.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Well World 5 is done. I'm really happy with how it turned out too. Starting World 6, and I think it'll go fast. It's the breakfast food world.

I was experimenting again with layer transparencies since it worked so good for me in the last 3 worlds. I know the contrast would be too heavy with my palette for the wood grain and think this balance looks pretty great.
Takoyaki0017.png
Takoyaki0017.png (44.15 KiB) Viewed 741 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I think last thing I'll probably finish for the year will be World 6 of Takoyaki Surprise. I'm at the boss art/programming phase with relatively solid ideas for them both. An omelette (voiced by my dad) and a stack of pancakes (voiced by my mom). It's pretty goofy hearing my parents participate with the food puns. I go back and forth between thinking World 6 has enough of a breakfast vibe or not and when I made the recap video and seeing all 6 worlds back to back I did feel good about it. It definitely stands out as different and the variety is good.

Very full year of game development with plenty of healthy breaks inbetween progress and updates. Hoping to continue the pattern as I work towards finishing Takoyaki hopefully before the summer. All that's left will be Worlds 7 and 8 and then the final stage. All of those have new boss battles as there is no pick-up code from 2010 to clean up and use. But I've been redoing the boss fights for a good while now anyways.
Attachments
Takoyaki0051.png
Takoyaki0051.png (74.15 KiB) Viewed 695 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Takoyaki0018.gif
Takoyaki0018.gif (703.59 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Finished World 6 the other day. I decided to move my release date back into the summer, largely to allow myself to not feel rushed and continue making the game when I felt like it and continue to enjoy it that way, even if a push could easily get it done 2-3 months sooner, I figured... why? I've gotten well past the point of using code from 2010 and bosses have been original conceptions, which has been a fun challenge. The pancake boss has an armor coating of syrup, when you blast it away to make her vulnerable it leaves a trail on the floor that reduces your speed by 50%, making her normally easy to dodge attacks, a bit more troublesome.
Takoyaki0040.gif
Takoyaki0040.gif (836.09 KiB) Viewed 668 times
When I made my 2nd draft of the demo, Eon had given me the idea of making a combo system and we talked through doing a "Cool Bonus" like in Sonic Mania to give aggressive players an incentive to get higher scores. This bonus is the Warrior Bonus and has a lot of factors to what makes it's score, such as a multiplier for the maximum combo of a stage, if you died, if you lost health when you finished stage, drank a powerup drink, etc. I'm sure I'll funnel more hypothetical things into it, but it's neat and fleshes out the game more. So thanks Eon!

I'm hoping to work on the ending credits sequence next. PJ composed a super good song and I want to do it justice. After that, I'll probably just do the final stage since I've been thinking about it lately. The Jamaican world needs a little more thought put into it before I can do anything. I've got an idea for it but need to think through it more. I definitely feel like I ended 2023 on a high note with this game and all of the other updates to existing games. Plus I made Digibeasts which I keep forgetting I did too.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Been a pretty strong year so far on Takoyaki. Finished World 6 before the end of the year like I planned and then started on World 8, temporarily skipping 7. One of the things I did during the year was go back and add various effect animations for characters. It's featured heavily in the boss I just finished, with impact frames and special effects for shooting and teleporting.
Takoyaki0035.gif
Takoyaki0035.gif (2.88 MiB) Viewed 579 times
I made the decision for World 8 to be kind of a restaurant and the final battles take place in a stage after it but not accessed on the World Map. I skipped around and did the boss for the stage and will go back later and do the midboss after RGC is finished. I didn't have a concrete plan for it so figured I should just do the one I had a plan for. The interesting idea for this one is that it's largely inspired by Shield Sheldon from MMX6.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Made a list of stuff to do to enhance the Cthulhu's Paradox experience for RGC.
Paradox0012.gif
Paradox0012.gif (4.99 MiB) Viewed 566 times
One thing is the ability to outright skip the Vikings portion of the game. This action will lead to an easier way to trigger the 2024 ending of the game as that ending will be a result of taking shortcuts and making "incorrect" choices. I'm hoping that even though the content is the same ultimately, there's enough enhancements and little things to make a 2nd play-through even more enjoyable.

Thinking of stuff like this, more characters for the depot, a friendly way to skip random encounters and not be punished, enhancing the stealth portion, and some in-between mission optional content.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Expected to be done with my update after two weeks but think it'll be done on the third.
Paradox0039.gif
Paradox0039.gif (756.79 KiB) Viewed 488 times
Paradox0040.gif
Paradox0040.gif (266.86 KiB) Viewed 488 times
In addition to new content, which has turned out to be much more substantial than I expected, all of the previous complaints have been addressed now. Each world has some type of improvement. But watching Fenrir play the game in 2022 and watching him struggle with the sound stealth puzzle, I knew just adjusting the perimeter wasn't gonna be enough. So I made a visual sign, which helps with both the sight stealth and sound stealth segments.

I had planned to make a branching ending, but that's turned into an optional side quest. I wanted people who had old save data to be able to keep going into the new content without having to replay the game unless they just wanted to, and I also didn't want anybody to miss anything. I expect that entire segment to be about 1/4 or a little more than what's already in the full game. Hoping to nearly double the Fenrir referenced games as well.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Paradox0049.gif
Paradox0049.gif (893.14 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Giving myself to the end of the week to make all new content and improvements to Cthulhu's Paradox. The ending of the new content is finished and I'm pretty proud of it. I realize it's easy to stay trapped in a game for a long time when it's time to move on. I could spend another 3 weeks obsessing over updates and content probably but think I can reach a good spot to finish. I had the idea to update CP with this when I finished it but don't think unless the theme of RGC worked for it that I would have in the near future or even at all.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Finished all of the content for the game and decided to not hold it but release it now. I made a video detailing what the update is.

Regarding existing save files, they will work just fine, however you will miss the special cutscenes between cultists throughout the game and the updates to missions, you'll miss the new customers in World 2, the trail in World 3, and the new visuals in the head trip from World 4. If that doesn't matter to you, you can go and find the side content just fine. The video shows where three of them are. In World 4, if you kill all of the dye monsters, a secret room will open up where the fourth is. The optional world takes about 20 minutes to complete. It's been updated on Steam and Itch.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

axecop_controls_2024.png
axecop_controls_2024.png (10.74 KiB) Viewed 302 times
I was just planning to finish work on the port check list but wound up making a few pretty substantial changes to the Axe Cop game this week. One of the requests for the port was that the main menu not be connected to the OHR's default ESC/ALT but get it's own button. I'm personally still getting used to playing it this way. Hard to rewire your brain from playing your own game the way you have for the last nearly 8 years (nuts the game will have been released four years ago already this Thanksgiving).
axecop_resetpotion_02.gif
axecop_resetpotion_02.gif (137.39 KiB) Viewed 302 times
This next one is pretty major and I think can open the doors to some pretty brutal hardcore plays. There was already an item in the game called the Fighting Scroll. If you take these to the Fighting Dojo you can change how your character's move growth is, going for a more well rounded boost to a dominant stat boost. If you were to combo that with the Reset Potion you could reach stats that you couldn't even if you took all available vitamins for one character. Because this was a post-release update there wasn't a way to preserve vitamin usage. It honestly feels like it's fine to erase those boosts since players can also keep moves they gained throughout the game. I'm already kind of thinking of doing a run where I try to boost Axe Cop to the highest point I can. I had planned to do a run using characters I don't think most people use anyways.

Anyways, I mapped out the next four boss battles for Takoyaki and that will be super fun to do in the coming months. I'm close to picking a release date for it.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Takoyaki0016.gif
Takoyaki0016.gif (3.57 MiB) Viewed 230 times
I knew I'd probably not get any concrete stuff done when FF7Rebirth came out so I decided to just do something chill to be productive even if it didn't complete a current level. I knew this boss would be fun to make and I've been pretty excited.

In the final fight with the player and the evil chef, the chef gets into a battlesuit that I wanted to feel like a mix between Sonic's Robotnik and something you'd see in MMX. I think it nails that vibe pretty well. The game itself has a lot of little Sonic vibes sprinkled throughout it, just maybe not the ones you'd essentially think of with Sonic. Anyways, I'm planning to finish World 8 but I wanted to do a little bit more with mech Shefu before I moved on. I've got most of his animations done and set up beginning values for some of his major attacks. He has a flamethrower and a blast chill gun.

The blast chill gun took a bit of thinking and research. I didn't want it to be this invincible cloud of smoke that force-freezes the player, so players can click various clouds to cause them to evaporate immediately versus wait through the entire cycle.

I'll likely start the midboss/final portion of World 8 next week so I can wrap that area up. Hoping to be totally done with World 8 by end of the month. I may or may not start World 7 or just do the final world since Shefu is half finished already so that it's all done sooner.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The steam could looks great!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks! Feels weird doing everything in tiny pieces lately instead of whole chunks.

I think I picked my release date and it feels like a healthy goal to reach with time and testing and no rushing. I'll be doing Steam's Summer Next Fest and do the demo then as well as reveal the release date in my trailer. Thinking about how one of my voice actors wanted to be better at the game on game pad, I kept rattling it around in my head and decided that it wouldn't ruin the game's difficulty per say if there was an auto-fire type thing. I have it set up so that you can engage it under settings then holding the attack button will do constant attacks, all the while charging up your super. It will tank your accuracy bonus, but I don't think that's a huge dealbreaker for a smoother ride through the stage. World 8 should be done end of the month, then all that's left are cutscenes, World 7, and the final world.
debating on if I want to make Auto-Attack include right clicks or not. Armored enemies do appear in the swarms so the number of them is random.
debating on if I want to make Auto-Attack include right clicks or not. Armored enemies do appear in the swarms so the number of them is random.
Takoyaki0024.gif (2.52 MiB) Viewed 208 times
Takoyaki0022.gif
Takoyaki0022.gif (73.3 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Hoping to have demo finished by end of April so I have couple weeks in May to finish before demo needs to be live, if you are interested in testing feel free to contact me.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Takoyaki0041.gif
Takoyaki0041.gif (273.66 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Rounding out my attempts to make the game feel more comfortable is some expanded code for the sonic scream moves that stun/dearmor bad guys. The move now has a hitbox inside of it to make it able to hit multiple enemies with the same click rather than a single click per enemy. It makes the game considerably more comfortable to run through. I think with this and auto-attack mode the game feels pretty good on keyboard or game pad. Before gamepad kind of felt miserable to play this on.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Takoyaki0061.gif
Takoyaki0061.gif (3.45 MiB) Viewed 83 times
Hit my deadline to finish World 8 by end of March. Quite happy with the fight overall. It was inspired from the Mystic Cave boss in Sonic 2. I had the original drummer from my band voice him and it just turned out really great I think.

April's goals will be to work on artwork, a press kit and refresh all of my Steam page art as that was made when the game had fewer levels and didn't have as many details in it. If I plan it right, I'll get all the Steam stuff finalized and get enough pixel art done so I can knock out a few cutscenes come May. May will likely be final demo prep, cutscenes and the ending credits sequence, and if all goes well, a big chunk of World 7. I'd like to end June with only leaving the final world to go, with which half of the final boss is already done.