A question for the Godot users...

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bluefeather42
Red Slime

A question for the Godot users...

Post by Bluefeather42 »

Is Godot worth it, for someone who's a hobbyist game designer at best? It's not even my MAIN hobby - it's just what I do when I can't do woodworking, to give my brain something to grapple with. I took some programming classes in High School, but it was like Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - they trained us wrong, as a joke. So I've had this phobia of coding ever since. And, I never had any luck with Godot before. Even the tutorials I tried never worked. Over the holidays I bought the GDQuest "Learn to Code from Zero" and worked through part of it. But It seems like even IF I learned to code and used it, I wouldn't have the time to actually program a game more advanced than space invaders - if that. Using something like OHR, at least the main systems of the games would be there and I'd just be doing art, tweaking numbers, and writing.

I apologize for this rambling nonsense and if this is in the wrong place. If I go to a gamedev forum or the Godot forums I'll get "Oh yes Godot can literally turn lead into gold" for an answer.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: A question for the Godot users...

Post by kylekrack »

Sure, Godot a good engine, but it requires coding to make anything work. The beauty of the OHR is its ability to make something without touching plotscripting whatsoever. If you find yourself able to make a project you have in mind in the OHR, I'd stick with that instead. If you're trying to make something that doesn't use built-in movement, for instance, the OHR might be too limited for that particular project.

That said, I know you mentioned using Unreal. Godot does have a visual version of GDscript if you liked Unreal's Blueprints. I'm not sure how they compare to one another, but I'd look into it if it's relevant.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

depends how badly you want to make something.

if you have no coding ability, i don't recommend Godot.
even though it is much more flexible and simpler to approach in many ways

if you're not sure, look up (copy) some tutorials and you can probably get something working.

if you really want, ask questions and I'll try to walk you through what I know.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You didn't really say what your goal is, to create games? Ones more sophisticated than Space Invaders? What kind? To learn to program? It all depends on that.

Godot has some steep learning curves and a great deal of complexity. Its main goal is to be powerful, and it caters for power users, not new users. A lot of things can become easy once you learn it. Many times I thought "Why on earth did they make this so complex?" but eventually I usually came to understand what functionality that enabled. Some of the UI is just awful though. It's also a bad choice for someone not comfortable programming, but I think making a game is a great way to learn programming or learn a new language!

Learning Godot taught me what the OHR should and shouldn't be, and the ways in which it can be better than other game engines.
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

kylekrack wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:52 pm
That said, I know you mentioned using Unreal. Godot does have a visual version of GDscript if you liked Unreal's Blueprints. I'm not sure how they compare to one another, but I'd look into it if it's relevant.
They stopped supporting it recently. Everybody said it wasn't that good, anyway, but "everybody" also said the bass amp I bought isn't loud enough, and the house shakes when I turn it up past 0. I believe there's a project that will add it back in as a plugin, though.
SwordPlay wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:30 am
if you really want, ask questions and I'll try to walk you through what I know.
Thanks! I may take you up on that.
TMC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:28 pm You didn't really say what your goal is, to create games? Ones more sophisticated than Space Invaders? What kind? To learn to program? It all depends on that.

Godot has some steep learning curves and a great deal of complexity. Its main goal is to be powerful, and it caters for power users, not new users. A lot of things can become easy once you learn it. Many times I thought "Why on earth did they make this so complex?" but eventually I usually came to understand what functionality that enabled. Some of the UI is just awful though. It's also a bad choice for someone not comfortable programming, but I think making a game is a great way to learn programming or learn a new language!

Learning Godot taught me what the OHR should and shouldn't be, and the ways in which it can be better than other game engines.

EDIT: After doing a lot of thinking, I've pretty much decided against Godot. I really don't need it, and really DON'T have time to build all of a game's systems from scratch. I did, however, find that I actually HAD learned from the GDQuest learn to code app - more than I did back in high school. I was looking into some Doom modding, and found I understood most of the scripts I saw on the ZDoom wiki. I've also been listening to the podcast lately and from what I hear, OHR is more than adequate for what I want to do.