Ridiculous/Terrible Games Competition 2022 - The Homage Strikes Back

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

polkakitty
Red Slime

Re: Ridiculous/Terrible Games Competition 2022 - The Homage Strikes Back

Post by polkakitty »

Dang it. I had an idea I was hoping I could make for this cont.... petition, which is undeniably ridiculous, and which I'm reasonably certain nobody has done in the OHR before. Unfortunately, as a direct consequence of not having been done in the OHR before, it wouldn't make sense to make it as an homage to another OHRer. Besides which, it's really not something that I think would be right to do with another person. Not because it would be hateful towards them, but.... well, you'll see if I ever do end up making that game. Suffice to say, you wouldn't buy a man the fanciest dress you could find for his birthday and then hope it turns out that he's been a drag queen all along.

(I wouldn't be against someone making a game about me, so I suppose I'm opting in. However, I can't *recommend* making a game about me, both because I have yet to actually finish and release an OHR game, and because I have no life and am generally not very interesting. Pokemon Go Community Day events are pretty much the highlight of the month around my place.)
SwordPlay wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:06 amI'm going to make a game about everyone and it'll be called OHR House :kamina:
Actually, that raises an interesting question. Could we make a game about multiple people in the community instead of just one? Like, could we make an RPG where you have Prifurin, Kylekrack, and Gaplan as heroes in your party, since they've often worked on games together?

Also, would it be fair to say that Mystery Dungeon Friends is a good example of the kind of portrayals of people in the community we should be shooting for, and that if your game is going to portray other people in a way that's significantly meaner than that game, it's a bad idea?
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

polkakitty, I didn't see anywhere in the rules that says you can't. For instance, my game is about Fenrir, but will feature IDK, Charbile and others. I don't think as long as they aren't opted out it's the end of the world. Like the only person so far that has publicly opt'ed out is Rue and I feel like using him would be cause for disqualification.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Super curious what game you're thinking about making, Polka. Maybe if you share it, I could make it so you don't have to.

I was led to believe this was more about roasting someone, but i see now it's a homage.

I'm fine being roasted, not like anyone could. I mean, if you want to make a game in my style, you're going to lose a terrible game contest. This is why i would only be pretending to make a game if i entered. And only if Swordplay is finally making ohr house.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

idk about entering an OHR house, so far I'm leaning towards an interview with myself, no idea how to dress it up as a game or if people would be interested.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

SwordPlay wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:57 am idk about entering an OHR house, so far I'm leaning towards an interview with myself, no idea how to dress it up as a game or if people would be interested.
I'm interested
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

This is just a reminder that you've got a bit over a day (March 1st) to OPT OUT of having your name/likeness/whatever potentially being part of a bunch of fan projects. Thus far, the only person who has officially stated they want nothing to do with this is Rue, so the field is potentially wide-open! Just remember...
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:07 pm A word of forewarning - there may be people out there who cannot reasonably make their wishes known regarding this "Opt Out Clause". They may no longer be a part of the OHR community. They may be banned, no longer have an internet presence, or have shuffled off this mortal coil. If you choose to make a game about someone who does not "Opt out", and the community consensus is that your game is in exceedingly poor taste, then your game will be disqualified.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Opt out
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

JSH357 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 pmOpt out
Oh NO! I have to remake my whole game from scratch now!!!!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I would like to dispel some confusion that some people seemed to have and officially Opt in
It's past the deadline, but that was the opt out deadline, so I assume everything is fine.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

After having spoken with basically everyone making a game for this competition, and getting a near-unanimous sense of approval for the idea:

You now have until April 15 to work on your game. Judging will take place from April 16 to April 30. That's it!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The world was laughing when I died.
A tear in the eye of a beetle, or was it just rain?
Nothing is better than anything at all, or is it?
The cold taste like almonds...

OHR Afterlife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

on a tangentially related note regarding spoons "game", I absolutely detest the default colour for selected menu item flashing.
its generally impossible for me to see clearly, especially at a distance

I can't imagine how it is for users who are colour-blind or visually impaired.

edit: i used the mouse to select my answers
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

SwordPlay wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:33 am on a tangentially related note regarding spoons "game", I absolutely detest the default colour for selected menu item flashing.
its generally impossible for me to see clearly, especially at a distance

I can't imagine how it is for users who are colour-blind or visually impaired.
Well! This piqued my interest so I downloaded the game for testing purposes. It seems that it does indeed use standard UI colours. I agree that the white/yellow flashing Select Item is low contrast compared to the default white 'Text' colour, but not compared to the grey default 'Menu Item' colour. Is it really a problem?

As for the game, I found the answer to the first question in the ReadMe, but can't figure out the second one. Tasteless.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

spoiler answers for spoons game
yes
friends
gnome
sam
mmz
cody

edit: i spoiler'd them but idk why they're not appearing when i try to view my post in the forum. its just blank and there seems to be nothing to highlight. mods can see it tho
edit: you have to click that blank space apparently. slime be hidden well
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Whoops, you're right. Went back and added some spoiler tags.