SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Post by kylekrack »

That was just a soft agreement, I wasn't actually pressuring for an extension. Just saying I wouldn't be mad about it.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

charbile wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 pm I want to see what Hedera slam jams too
if you want a vision of the future, imagine master d's head exploding in nes bionic commando forever
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I did plan a providently (un)ambitious game for the contest. While I know it's not fair to change the rules for those who intend to win, I don't care if we change the deadline. I don't think the change is going to give busy people more free time and make everyone finish their games.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

excuse me for trying to push the limits of the ohr with an ambitious plan to show the engine's power *flashes arms loaded with watches* they now call me the master of timers--thousands of calculations per frame, calling enough get slice extras in arbitrary loops to separate the benas from the boys

but that's fair. NO MERCY rmz and i are coming for you, spoon! There's no way out for you in summer slam.

Bionic Commando is one of my favorites, Helix! I was pretty tempted to use their framing narrative for my entry. I haven't even put in dialogue yet dont tell anyone lol

maybe next time i should just join team GapKrack...
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

charbile wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:01 am excuse me for trying to push the limits of the ohr with an ambitious plan to show the engine's power *flashes arms loaded with watches* they now call me the master of timers--thousands of calculations per frame, calling enough get slice extras in arbitrary loops to separate the benas from the boys

but that's fair. NO MERCY rmz and i are coming for you, spoon! There's no way out for you in summer slam.

Bionic Commando is one of my favorites, Helix! I was pretty tempted to use their framing narrative for my entry. I haven't even put in dialogue yet dont tell anyone lol

maybe next time i should just join team GapKrack...
The only way out is in a body bag. Or a Hati themed pillowcase big enough to fit a person.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

And we’re all out of body bags.

Btw I was bragging that I only use a single plotscript with two lines—I’ll give you a sneak peek:

Code: Select all

plotscript, putontheswimsuitorelsemila, begin
suspend player
game over
#enjoy your double sided waifu Bena~
end
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Baconlabs wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 am Hi, I'm still here. June's been mega stressful for me and I haven't found the time to reconnect with the Discord channel yet. I'll be available by mid-July again, so I'm still game for judging the contest.
scribble scribble scribble
I am so so sorry, I have to take that back. Just when I thought I was in the clear with my job for a relatively stress-free month, 1) haha, no, and 2) I also got sick

So I'm formally withdrawing from judging the contest. I really really wish I could, but the time just isn't going to be available to me after all. I'm still going to try to peek in now and then, play some of the games if I can, give some praise and critcisms. Best of luck to all of you.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Baconlabs wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:33 pm
Baconlabs wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 am Hi, I'm still here. June's been mega stressful for me and I haven't found the time to reconnect with the Discord channel yet. I'll be available by mid-July again, so I'm still game for judging the contest.
scribble scribble scribble
I am so so sorry, I have to take that back. Just when I thought I was in the clear with my job for a relatively stress-free month, 1) haha, no, and 2) I also got sick

So I'm formally withdrawing from judging the contest. I really really wish I could, but the time just isn't going to be available to me after all. I'm still going to try to peek in now and then, play some of the games if I can, give some praise and criticisms. Best of luck to all of you.
Not a problem, but thanks for letting us know.

Currently the judges will be TMC, Morpheus, and Swordplay (sorry fenrir, I'm going to have to take you off the list of backups since you entered the contest)
If there's another drop out, I will be opening the judging up to everyone that didn't enter a game.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

I'm certain that finding another impartial judge in a pinch would be better than changing the way the games will be judged. The goal posts on this contest have already been morphed and shifted enough as it is. Look for another backup!
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Ok I'm adding Giz as another backup.
The shifting to "everyone that hasn't entered" will only happen as a worse case scenario.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

It says the deadline was shifted from the 21st to the 25th... I thought it was going to be a full week extension?? :???:
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

ArtimusBena wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:11 am It says the deadline was shifted from the 21st to the 25th... I thought it was going to be a full week extension?? :???:
Not sure where you got that information.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

There will be no voting it looks like? Anyways, the mob still can yell into the digital room. I like one tiny detail about the Stoat.rpg. The game can be played through without the bird exploding. Despite it being able to burst into blood chunks in the presence of the killer stoat, I'm glad that the bird can be saved from that fate.

And I'd wish that the adressed stoat sees the game, but hopefully he plays it until the end. The ending scene is worth watching.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Bird wrote:There will be no voting it looks like?
Our fates are in the hands of the chosen judges this time around. Trying to play to their gaming preferences *IS* a strategy.
Bird wrote:I like one tiny detail about the Stoat.rpg. The game can be played through without the bird exploding.
I should've put in the BIRD UP!! sound effect for that, but I'll just have to be satisfied with the game as it is. The game's main gimmick is very much about how your choices have lasting impacts, and they can NEVER be undone.
Bird wrote:And I'd wish that the adressed stoat sees the game, but hopefully he plays it until the end. The ending scene is worth watching.
The entire game is something of a commentary on how sometimes when we reach out to others and really try to open up to them, they often end up being hurt, even though that's very rarely what we wanted. And when it keeps happening over and over, that can weigh pretty heavily on our shoulders. We fall down a dark path, we start to doubt ourselves, and we no longer feel worthy of love. I'm sure he's felt that way too, and the game's ending serves literally to give said Stoat a metaphorical hug and tell them "you matter".

If the writing in Stoat didn't really covey that, that's a failing on my part, but I stick by the message I wanted to convey.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

BIRD! I hope to see you yell in the digital room at me -- super curious if you'll experience lag. I'm wondering if i can go crazier with various fx.

pic is one-week-out results prediction
Attachments
curses.jpg
curses.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 2740 times