SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Post by Baconlabs »

Spoonweaver wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:12 pm I haven't heard back to confirm all the judges are still on board.
Judges: Baconlabs, TMC, Morpheus­Kitami (Backup Judge: Fenrir)
If you could post here to confirm you are still on board to judge that would be helpful.
Otherwise, please post here if you would like to join Fenrir as a back up judge in case 1 or more judges do not show up.
Hi, I'm still here. June's been mega stressful for me and I haven't found the time to reconnect with the Discord channel yet. I'll be available by mid-July again, so I'm still game for judging the contest.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Baconlabs wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 am
Spoonweaver wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:12 pm I haven't heard back to confirm all the judges are still on board.
Judges: Baconlabs, TMC, Morpheus­Kitami (Backup Judge: Fenrir)
If you could post here to confirm you are still on board to judge that would be helpful.
Otherwise, please post here if you would like to join Fenrir as a back up judge in case 1 or more judges do not show up.
Hi, I'm still here. June's been mega stressful for me and I haven't found the time to reconnect with the Discord channel yet. I'll be available by mid-July again, so I'm still game for judging the contest.
Glad to hear it.
Sorry to hear about the stressful stuff, that's never fun.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

goosegame2.jpg
goosegame2.jpg (354.76 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Bena and mine's game is going pretty great. It's been a genre of game I've wanted to do for a very long time so it's just been fun making it finally. I loved Fenrir's real goose version of Louis that I made it the star of this one. The story Bena and I crafted is definitely something I'm really quite proud of. My hope for this project is for it to feel as charming and eccentric as Monkey Island did for me when I was a kid.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Haha! I really like the way that looks. Nice work!

"Honk At"
Hollyhart1
Red Slime

Post by Hollyhart1 »

I have decided to enter the Roguelike I've been working on. I started it after Summer Slam started. I just have a couple of questions.

1. For the theme of past, I'm going with an old DOS style to my game. Is this okay, and does it fit the theme of past?

2. For 64 colors (palette reduced), I'm using a small 8-bit palette for my game. Does my game's palette have to fit up to 64 colors or is under 64 allowed?

Also, I have gifs and images to share. Special thanks to Swordplay for a HUGE help on these scripts (which he did mostly himself):
Attachments
Ingame Hud
Ingame Hud
Dragon0012.gif (185.07 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Choosing your avatar. Yes you can play as a door (Sword's idea)
Choosing your avatar. Yes you can play as a door (Sword's idea)
Dragon0013.gif (268.84 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Rolling your stats
Rolling your stats
Dragon0015.gif (91.36 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Glad to see swordplay is entering after all.

The theme of past is completely up to you how you interpret it. If your idea has too much of a stretch, I guess someone might say something, but mostly the use of the theme isn't really going to be judged as much as the game as a whole will be.
The short answer, the idea that a retro game is from the past sounds fine, also the game looks like it's based in medieval-ish times in any case, so it hits the theme that way too.

For 64 colors (palette reduced), yes the idea is that the palette is reduced, so palettes that are less than 64 are fine. I guess I should have labelled it, 64 color's max to be more clear.

Anyways, the game looks great.
Hollyhart1
Red Slime

Post by Hollyhart1 »

The theme of past is completely up to you how you interpret it. If your idea has too much of a stretch, I guess someone might say something, but mostly the use of the theme isn't really going to be judged as much as the game as a whole will be.
The short answer, the idea that a retro game is from the past sounds fine, also the game looks like it's based in medieval-ish times in any case, so it hits the theme that way too.
Yeah I kind of figured that. Yes it is Medieval themed, so that works out too.
For 64 colors (palette reduced), yes the idea is that the palette is reduced, so palettes that are less than 64 are fine. I guess I should have labelled it, 64 color's max to be more clear.
Okay I just wasn't sure if this was correct or not, but that works.
Anyways, the game looks great.
Thank you!

Al in all, I can't wait to get this finished. :)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Landscape Champ '580000.png
Landscape Champ '580000.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

So!
There's been requests to extend the contest due to various issues people have had in their lives.
So, as of now, the last day to submit your games to this contest is 7/26
Sorry if you've been looking forward to playing the upcoming games, waiting longer is never fun.
To appease anyone that wanted to play the entries as soon as possible ( if there was anyone like that ) I'm uploading my entry early.
Please Enjoy: Landscape Champ '58
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

have been a depressed lazy butt so I haven't actually started on the contest game, uhh let's see how much I need to pare down in order to make something playable in two weeks
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:11 am STOAT.rpg is released!
nice
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Spoonweaver wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:29 pm So, as of now, the last day to submit your games to this contest is 7/26
Wouldn’t it be rad if we bumped that a few days more like maybe to the end of the month wouldn’t that be awesome? I would ask for another year if I could, I just never want to stop working on this and I’m sure everyone feels the same way besides a couple of early birds here—I want to see what Hedera slam jams too
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gaplan pitched a hugely scoped game, so any extra time we get will give me time to add more content. I'm working on programming each system to be functional on a base level, but optimally we'd be able to make them more fun.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

charbile wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 pm
Spoonweaver wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:29 pm So, as of now, the last day to submit your games to this contest is 7/26
Wouldn’t it be rad if we bumped that a few days more like maybe to the end of the month wouldn’t that be awesome? I would ask for another year if I could, I just never want to stop working on this and I’m sure everyone feels the same way besides a couple of early birds here—I want to see what Hedera slam jams too
it's 7/25 now

kylekrack wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:30 pm Gaplan pitched a hugely scoped game, so any extra time we get will give me time to add more content. I'm working on programming each system to be functional on a base level, but optimally we'd be able to make them more fun.
I completely understand
and we all want great, fun games
but 1st, some people planned their games with a shorter deadline in mind so each extension is sort of a slap in their face
2nd, everyone has the option to keep working on their projects after the contest, you can release a contest version and then finish it up to a full release and if it's good enough go all the way to steam and beyond