SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

charbile wrote:get hyped for yet another charbile win over spoonweaver
Refresh my memory, I was really trying to think of when you could have possibly beaten me and I couldnt think of a single time.
Isn't that weird?!

The only time I ever remember even being in the same contest, I believe a game called Clam Digger won that contest.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Shots fired.

Also, Charbile has never gone up against me before.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
SUMMER SLAM!
Attachments
charbile.PNG
charbile.PNG (23.22 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
summer slam promo 3.PNG
summer slam promo 3.PNG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

I'd sign up but a) I really need to work more on my game I'm currently working on, and b) if I drew "can't contain plants", then the universe would collapse in on itself
Last edited by Hedera on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

a) taking a break from a big project can help you get perspective on the big project and not let things get stale.
b)The gimmicks and themes on the wheels will be refined and altered.
c) PROFIT
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

d) the chance to go up against the legendary Charbile
e) the chance to defeat Spoonweaver
f) fun
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Hedera Helix wrote: if I drew "can't contain plants", then the universe would collapse in on itself
Robot plants are technically not plants
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Spoonweaver wrote:a) taking a break from a big project can help you get perspective on the big project and not let things get stale.
this is actually why I signed up for the spring collab contest, since it allowed me to test out a couple things and see how they'd work in practice

and then I stumbled upon something completely unrelated that turned out to be very labor-and-time-intensive, which resulted in there being a lot of unfinished graphics in eeeethical hacking conveniently covered up by "glitch" tiles :zombie:
Bob the Hamster wrote:Robot plants are technically not plants
Dang, you got me there.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Summer Slam!!!

So I just want to go on record pointing out that a lot of the suggested themes and gimmicks are likely to be tossed out. They are all great ideas, but I want to make sure the themes and the gimmicks aren't too restricting as to limit creativity and potentially make people second guess entering.
The theme is mainly a way to limit people from starting on their game too early by having something they need to consider be revealed the day they are allowed to start. The gimmick is basically this too, but is designed to add a bit of fun to things.
So, we do want things to be wacky and fun, but we also want people to enter the contest and to actually make good games. If you were worried that the theme or gimmick might be too restrictive and have second guessed entered I hope you'll share the theme or gimmick you think might be the worst possibility so we can toss it and then I hope you'll give the contest another chance.

Overall though, the response has been great so far!
I hope you're all looking forward to the contest!
We had some great turn out for the spring contest and I hope this summer contest will go even better!
See you then!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

There was a little bit of talk whether or not Summer Slam is still happening since RMZ and I aren't getting along.
Yes, there is still a Summer Slam. Money has been paid and entries have been awarded.
There will be no change to the rules as of yet, though I am thinking we can push up the beginning date.
No harm in starting a week or 2 early.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

pjbebi was the only person who submitted an entry fee, and that money has been sent to Spoonweaver's paypal account.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

I've decided I'm in after all. Do your worst, roulette wheels!

edit: actually, could there be the option of paying $5 or so to re-roll what the wheels come up with, if we don't like what we get
Last edited by Hedera on Mon May 31, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Hedera Helix wrote:I've decided I'm in after all. Do your worst, roulette wheels!

edit: actually, could there be the option of paying $5 or so to re-roll what the wheels come up with, if we don't like what we get
The wheels are for everyone.
""[we'll] spin two randomized wheels that will represent what all entries must contain.""

So no, I don't think I could allow you to pay to have the wheel spun again for everyone, that wouldnt be fair to someone that got the thing they wanted on the first try.

That said, don't worry.
The wheels are designed mainly so that no one starts on their game early, as you need a general guidance of which game would fit the bill.
But hopefully the theme and gimmick will not be so restrictive as to not allow at least 1 of the game ideas you've had in the past to be used for this contest.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

So!

After taking Mogri's suggestion to heart I decided to have a good close look at the themes and gimmicks that might make people lose interest in joining the contest if they came up on the wheel.
After compiling all the themes and gimmicks suggested and combining ones that seemed the same, getting rid of ones that seemed very restrictive, and summarizing ones that were too detailed, the list of themes seemed decent, but the list of gmmicks was very short, about 4.(I combined a lot into limited palette)

The current themes are:
Undead
summer
heist/Criminality
mythology
journey
revisiting old ideas
mundane
anime
time
art
furry
the past
the future
scary
vanilla fantasy
niche
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

These are very vague. I’m sure by design, but still.