Play-by-forum D&D and such go here.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

"Unbelievable," Jenny mutters. "Who posted this request, anyway?"
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Bometrus is wrapping a bandage around his torso. In response to being offered the potion by the old woman, he says "This is the sort of boon that's best saved for a desperate situation, especially if more monsters like that one appear. Thank you kindly, ma'am!", and he puts it away in his pack.

He frowns at the idea of leaving the old woman here alone, thinking it seems like a dereliction of his duty to protect the innocent. To him, it seems strange that she appears to have so little concern about an attack from a monster that seemingly could have easily killed her. As he speaks, he tries to examine her mannerisms and surroundings to find any indication that she may have powers that aren't immediately obvious.

"Well, I suppose it's true there's nobody in town who can match the power of a dragon. Can you tell us anything more about this white monster: where it's been seen, or whether there are any habitations it's already attacked?"

{{1d20+4 Insight check to find any indication that the midwife has powers or connections that she isn't mentioning}}
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

Post by Judge Slimehold »

<p><b>polkakitty</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20+4 Insight check to find any indication that the midwife has powers or connections that she isn't mentioning:</b> 14 + 4 &rArr; 18</li></ul>
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The old lady does indeed seem powerful. She's produced 2 healing potions and an alchemist fire and claims to be making the healing potions herself. She seems frail of build though and so any strength she has is likely magical in nature.
"That white dragon was flying over this windmill less than a ten day ago. It flys so fast it could be anywhere. But I think it roosts in the Icespire to the southeast," said the old lady.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

"Could you write a note? It'll... put my Mum's mind at ease." Mug stammers, thinking about how maybe it could also get them partial payment from whoever posted the job.

After that, Mug starts eyeing the manticore's tail. It looks easy enough to cut off. There might be a bounty for it, but more importantly, it would prove to his Dad that they slew a dangerous beast.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"If it will put minds at ease," said the old lady as she climbed back up to the second floor. She returned shortly after with a letter sealed with wax. "Here you go, this should explain things."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

By the time she brings down the letter, Mug is almost done hacking off the manticore's tail with his sword.

It's way more messy than he expected. Why is s there so much blood in the tail!? This is more blood than they split in the whole battle?

He wipes a red-smeared hand ineffectively on his shirt.

"Uh... Maybe one of the others should carry the letter?" he suggests sheepishly
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Jenny is still incensed. She unstops the potion with her teeth, splashing a bit of it on the floor. She spits the stopper onto the floor, chugs the potion, and hurls the empty flask to the ground, shattering it.

Someone else will have to handle the letter.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Jenny feels better, but not completely better (Jenny heals 7 HP).
The old lady looks at the broken glass and the now bloodier mess in front of her house. "What are you doing!?" She yells. "Looks at this mess! Take this letter and go!"
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"So sorry!" Mug mumbles, dropping the severed tail, and making another attempt to wipe his hands on his clothes. How could there be so much blood in the tail? Do manticores have their hearts in the tails?

He takes the letter. "Sorry about the mess" he apologizes again.

"We'll just... be going then?" he picks up the oozing tail again, and looks to the others, hoping they are ready to leave before the woman demands they clean up the whole mess
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Bometrus is bewildered by the animosity unfolding around him.  Although he and his companions have been successful in protecting an innocent person from evil forces, being chided for their bungling by that person while he himself is wounded and standing in a puddle of blood, ashes, and broken glass was not how he pictured himself when he first joined the Wintershield Watchmen.

In hopes of finding a way out of the situation, he says to the midwife: "Glad to, er, be of help, to you", hoping he sounds more confident and collected than he feels. Now it's.... time we ought to go."
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Sazae
Red Slime

Post by Sazae »

"Alright, since we seem to be making more of a mess of things, I think that it's time to go." Fifi announces, turning on her heel to head out of the house and back where she came from. She waits for a moment in order for the rest of the group to follow, making sure that none of them stay behind. The woman seems to be able to take care of herself and doesn't want their help, so there's nothing much to be done there.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

As the adventurer's return to town, they spot a white flying creature in the far off distance near some mountains. It never comes near enough to fully confirm it is a dragon but given the gossip around town it's safe to say this is the thing people are talking about. It flys behind a mountain after a minute and the adventurers can no longer see it.

When adventurer's return to town are met with gasps. Fifi remains the only one not bloodied in some way and the townsfolk take notice. The townsfolk share hushed whispers between each other, but do not directly approach the group.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Jenny notices the townsfolk pointing and whispering, and she scowls. It's not her fault there's a gaping hole in her tunic, and it's rude of them to stare.
Last edited by Mogri on Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mug looks around the crowd to see if either of his parents are there. He's not going to march to their house and drop the tail on their doorstep, but he still really wants his dad to see it.

"We killed a manticore! What's the bounty on manticore's tails?" Mug asks a random villager.