Page «  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Liquid Metal Slime

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 5:55 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Quote:
Sometimes I wish that I didn't have video games or Internet so I could actually focus on writing my book. I keep getting distracted. I try to find time at night to work on my book, but I feel like that's not enough.

I found this free writing tool via the Reedsy Blog a couple of weeks ago and did a video on it. Alternatively, there's a free app on Steam that has some of the same functionalities, also referenced in the video.

FrostWriter allows you to type on a mostly featureless canvas while listening to theme music (whichever theme you're writing in). You'd have to copy/paste your work to another app when your writing session is over since there are no formatting tools in the program, but that's also by design since it limits your ability to go back and "fix things." Essentially its job is to make sure you write something, which is probably useful for a lot of us.

Alternatively, Virtual Cottage is a study tool that helps you focus while you do other things.

Maybe one or both of them will help.

P.S. The FrostWriter app's creator recently quoted a snippet of my companion article on his site. It's in the "Stories" category if you all visit the site. All the relevant links are in the YouTube description.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Red Slime

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 12:35 am
If anything, I do notice that I tend to write more when I get to a part I'm looking forward to, but the difficult part is slogging through the rest of the dialogue. I might give some of those a look.
Liquid Metal Slime

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 1:23 am
I got my dad (he's a librarian/reporter) to read the hard copy of Thief Acolyte Consort I got. It sounds like he liked it. He remarked that the ending went in a completely different direction than he expected and enjoyed the intrigue of that. He said he burned through the last 60 pages or so, not expecting to finish in that sitting but getting caught up in the momentum. I think I had the same experience.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 1:59 am
Yay! I am delighted that he seems to have enjoyed it!

And thank you for sharing it with him. Marketing books is hard, and I think word of mouth helps a lot.

EDIT: I saw his review on goodreads! Yay! :D
Liquid Metal Slime

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 10:40 pm
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rtdVoel5BPz0x6MLX7bE678yoBxlvv7swMrv1Cw6iPk/edit?usp=sharing

Not a book, but something I wrote for my D&D campaign. It's the backstory for a legendary magic item called the Mournblade that my players will find locked away in a dungeon. I meant for it to just be a brief description of how it ended up in this dungeon, but got a little carried away. Although this event happened 1000 years before the campaign started, I'm still wanting to find a way to tie Nuora into the story somehow. She wasn't meant to be an important character, but I'm finding myself unexpectedly attached to her. Maybe I'll write a whole story featuring Nuora someday Grin
Ps. I love my wife
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 pm
That was fun to read! I like the idea of how only the person holding the sword keeps their soul, but that most of them know it won't work anyway.

I hope you do write more with Nuora
Liquid Metal Slime

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 12:07 am
I'm glad you liked it! D&D is a great way to do world-building for other stories, it seems...

I also can't wait for my players to get ahold of this sword and decide whether the +3 to attack and damage rolls is worth the baggage of necromancy.
Ps. I love my wife
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 1:18 am
kylekrack wrote:
I also can't wait for my players to get ahold of this sword and decide whether the +3 to attack and damage rolls is worth the baggage of necromancy.

On critical failure, wielder loses consciousness for 1 turn as one of the souls in the sword attempts to fulfill a desire that it failed to accomplish in life
Liquid Metal Slime

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm
Just a quick information drop for those who live in the States. Amazon is releasing a new storytelling app later this year (maybe summer?) called Kindle Vella that combines the flexibility of Wattpad with the monetization of Medium. The idea is to publish "episodes" of a story, which readers can access from a pool of credits they pre-buy. Writers get 50% of the royalties for each episode the reader accesses, depending on the credit bundle the reader buys from. There are also social media style bells and rewards and stuff for anyone who cares about that kind of thing.

Amazon is taking uploads now in anticipation of the launch, so for anyone who wants to get in on the ground floor, now's the best time. Here's all the relevant information if you're interested.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Page «  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9